EX-1 closeup work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 1st, 2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Trustee

EX-1 closeup work

I've got an upcoming project where I need to shoot macro closeups of small objects. The image area is approximately 5x10mm. I'm using an EX-1. In macro mode, I can put an object almost up to the lens element, but I still need more magnification. My question is how can I zoom in on an image area of 5x10mm? Would macro filters work best in this instance? Or is there such a thing as a telephoto close-up adapter that home video cameras sometimes have?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:53 PM   #2
New Boot

usually you would put extension tubes or a bellows between the lens and camera, but of course you can't with an EX1
so, its got to be front of lens macro filters.
I use cokin P series and they are pretty good.
5mm x 10mm is tiny though... you may find it easier to use a different camera
Gary Oldknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #3
Trustee

I'd say rent 5Dmkii or 7D with 100mm macro lens, it'll get way better result than EX1 with any macro ext.
Old December 10th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Trustee

If you could find a diopter filter you might be able to get close enough. A 1 diopter lets you focus to one meter while still preserving your zoom range. a 2 lets you focus to 1/2 a meter and so on. You could also cheat and mount a magnifying glass between your lens and the object. Your optical quality will suffer. Can't you shoot a hi res still of the object and blow it up that way or does it have to be video?
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

To be assured of adequate image quality which matches the rest of your footage, you might need to consider an achromatic dioptre from Century or other maker. These do not introduce muddy colours or chromatic abberations at the sides as will a single element close-up lens ( macro-filter as some call it ).

For the 77mm filter mount of the EX, a dioptre may be expensive, even if available. I mounted an older 58mm version of a Century 4+ and a 7+ with a custom 58mm to 77mm adaptor ring and had good results except that you have to make sure you are zoomed in far enough to eliminate a vignette.

These will enable lens to subject distances of approx 5" (125mm) and 8" (200mm) give or take about 25mm each way with an subject width of about 24mm if zoomed right in with the 7+.

The lens and ring can be seen here used in another application, a hacked relay for the P+S Technik Mini35 before the factory relay was released :-

YouTube - SONY PMW-EX1 - P+S TECHNIK MINI35 TEST

BIG CAUTIONARY NOTE: If you go this route do a "clash" test before you screw the close-up lens and adaptor ring in fully. This is done by cutting a paper disk to a diameter that it can slip sideways across the glass within the rim around the front glass of the EX1 lens. Put this paper disk in with the camera facing vertically up and the paper centered.

Then screw in your adaptor ring and then the close-up (achromatic dioptre) lens. Do this gently. If you feel any pressure resistance, a smooth tightening rather than the slightly more gritty friction of the threads, do not tighten any more. Tip the camera down so that it sits normally, then on each side in turn and upside-down.

Observe the paper disk. If it does not slip freely within the gap, assume that there is no clearance between the rear of the dioptre rim and the surface of the front element of the EX1 lens. Remake the adaptor ring thicker to move the dioptre forward or add a shim washer between the existing ring front face and the rear face of the dioptre to restore a safe clearance from the glass surface.

Why bother? - You do not want the front of your EX1 lens to be scratched or gouged.

Take care when screwing anything into the EX1 filter thread. It is cut into the camera's plastic casework and is easily damaged by crossthreading.

Offer the filter or achromat lens up to the front of the EX1. Turn the filter anticlockwise ( unscrewing ) until you feel the little click or thud when the ends of the thread slip over each other and drop. Then carefully turn clockwise to engage the threads and then screw the fitting home.

You will observe two small holes I drilled into but not through the adaptor ring. These are to enable the ring to be removed with a Rolyn lens spanner in the event of the ring getting stuck.

Last edited by Bob Hart; December 10th, 2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts