XDCAM shot gun 3 pin to 5 pin XLR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 17th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Inner Circle

XDCAM shot gun 3 pin to 5 pin XLR

I need to find IN STOCK a 3 pin XLR female to 5 pin XLR male 18" long for my PMW-500 shot gun mic.

Why does Sony not give this cable with the camera?

There are 6" cables by Hosa in stock but they won't reach. And a 3 pin to 5 pin adapter is too long my hand would hit it while on the lens, and the Sony one at B&H is two to three weeks out.

Anyone know where I can find one in stock?
Old December 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Trustee

Paul,
Those are hard to find. You may want to try and buy a y cable so you run another source into the second channel which you don't need for the camera mic you are using is Mono. I was in a shoot in Omaha and the rental unit we had had the cable you described but that was it. Try calling Professional Sound in NYC 212-586-1033 for a custom made cable. They usually have fast turnaround but this week you never know
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Daniel you are spot on with great advice.

Very nice women helped me out in 2 minutes and seem to know her stuff. They will make the cable on Monday at the length I requested and it is the same price as B&H which said weeks.

Thank You, you made it easy.
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Trustee

Your welcome. Years of shopping for this stuff helps. Get in touch with me if you want to get some coffee sometime when you are in NYC. My office is very near Abel
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Major Player

You can also make your own cable with Neutrik connectors.

Sony 5 pin XLR wiring
Pin
1 Gnd Common
2 Left + hot
3 Left - cold
4 Right + hot
5 Right - cold
Old December 18th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Daniel,

It is amazing how time we spend at research with new gear purchase, I enjoy it. One of the many reasons DVinfo is great with all the information sharing. Next time I am going to Abel I will send you an email, be nice to hook up for coffee. I normally take the train to Penn and taxi to Abel. Of course in one direction I walk to B&H for a look around and visit the used dept.

Thanks Rick.
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #7
Major Player

good you found a way to get it fast.

It was one of my first purchases too. I also ordered a playout cable (XLR5 male to 2x XLR3 female) to have a way to play out audio (sometimes I use the camera as a playout/preview deck when playing HD files at a customer).

Yes, Sony should include these cables with the camera...

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Major Player

I made my own cable as well

and another thing to remember, the original Sony Mic has an unusual diameter, and your new XLR Mic will not have the same and I bet it will pick up the spinning noise of the XDCAM disk, been there done that

the Sony Mic holder has been calibrated for the Sony Mic diameter, so I run a couple of layers of gaffer tape on a RODE Mic to make it the same diameter
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Anton good point on the mic holder.

I use a NTG-3 Rode shotgun which is a lot smaller. I would not use gaffer tape here, I don't think it is the right product since it transfers too much vibration. I buy sheets of 1/16" think isolation foam with sticky back side covered in paper from McMasterCarr in the US. This way you cut it to the size you like and wrap it around the mic. Nice isolation and makes a perfect fit.

I never had a problem with my F800 and the disk noise, even in my soundproof, dry acoustic room. But I don't have to worry about that with this camera since the PMW-500 is SxS.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Cable arrived today very nice job.

Ugh now I have to find a mic holder that screws onto the side of the C35W VF. I tried using an extra EX1 mic holder but it broke today just cheap plastic. Also have been trying to get Abel to hunt one but down but it seems like a hard chase at pre holiday time.

Anyone know where to buy one? I can't seem to find it on-line?
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM   #11
Vortex Media

Paul,

You really need to get a Sony CAC-12 mic holder that screws into the body of the camera.
I would not recommend attaching a microphone to the C35W even if you can figure out a way to do it.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks Doug I will order that today.
Old December 24th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #13
Major Player

I have a brand new one here that I will never need, can have if for half new price
Old December 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Sorry Anton I purchased a new one delivered for $40. I bet if you put up a ad someone will pick it up.
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I too will not use gaffers tape rolled around a mic for it to fit the holder. I've got many foam windscreens from a multitude of obsolete shotgun mics. I simply snipped an inch off one of them; slipped it onto the new mic, and mounted in the mic holder. Seems to work fine without having to resort to tape.

However, I decided to try using the Rode Shockmount 5 (ROSM5); about 50 bucks from B&H. I have not field tested this on a job yet, and it will probably turn out to be
a pain to deal with as the mic won't fit in my PortaBrace bag without some disassembly. Possibly over the top and too much crap on the camera.

Patrick McLoad
Attached Thumbnails
XDCAM shot gun 3 pin to 5 pin XLR-mic-mount.jpg   XDCAM shot gun 3 pin to 5 pin XLR-camera-alternate-small.jpg  

Last edited by Patrick McLoad; February 18th, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Patrick McLoad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts