DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Shotgun mic holder on side of Viewfinder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/489249-shotgun-mic-holder-side-viewfinder.html)

Paul Cronin December 22nd, 2010 04:02 PM

Shotgun mic holder on side of Viewfinder

Does anyone know where to find a mic holder that screws onto the side of the C35W VF? I tried using a spare EX1 mic holder but it just broke, cheap plastic.

Doug Jensen December 22nd, 2010 05:18 PM

Paul,

You really need to get a Sony CAC-12 mic holder that screws into the body of the camera.
I would not recommend attaching a microphone to the C35W even if you can figure out a way to do it.

Paul Cronin December 23rd, 2010 07:12 AM

Thanks Doug once again you move me in the right direction. On my F800 I used the mic holder on the VF and it worked OK, but scared me at times thinking I would break it off. The Sony CAC-12 mic holder looks rugged and the best way to go. Never even noticed this is what you have on your F800.

Paul Cronin December 23rd, 2010 01:05 PM

Found a used one today thanks Doug.

Doug Jensen December 23rd, 2010 04:33 PM

The thing I really like about the CAC-12, in addition to getting the weight and torque off of the viewfinder, is that it sets the shotgun several inches farther back on the camera body so it doesn't protrude so far in front of the camera. It certainly makes matte boxes, teleprompters, wide-angle lenses, and camera cases easier to use.

Paul Cronin December 27th, 2010 03:49 PM

Mic holder arrived a few days ago, I have been off line due to a computer problem.

The CAC-12 is great and very solid with positions. And they are easy to find used for $75. Don't buy new my used one looks new and has no signs of use.

Patrick McLoad January 23rd, 2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1601429)
The thing I really like about the CAC-12, in addition to getting the weight and torque off of the viewfinder, is that it sets the shotgun several inches farther back on the camera body so it doesn't protrude so far in front of the camera. It certainly makes matte boxes, teleprompters, wide-angle lenses, and camera cases easier to use.

Doug: Exactly where on the body does this mic holder attach? I use a PMW-350, and my mic is on the VF (CBK-VF01), and I'd like to move it when I go with a better mic.

Thanks

Doug Jensen January 23rd, 2011 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not familiar enough with the PMW-350 to know whether it has the same kind of mounting system as the F800/700 or not. But on my F800, there are two screws on the camera body just behind where the front of the handle connects to the body. You remove those screws, and attach the CAC-12. In this photo, the CAC-12 is NOT on the camera.

Patrick McLoad January 23rd, 2011 10:22 AM

Thanks for the photo....no, the PMW-350 does not have those screws.

P

Ryan Hollings February 6th, 2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1602264)
Mic holder arrived a few days ago, I have been off line due to a computer problem.

The CAC-12 is great and very solid with positions. And they are easy to find used for $75. Don't buy new my used one looks new and has no signs of use.

Where were you able to find it? I have been searching with no luck..

Ryan

Paul Cronin February 6th, 2011 11:24 AM

Ryan check with KP Pro video in NYC they had a couple left. No like since they are not sponsors.

Ryan Hollings February 6th, 2011 11:42 AM

Thanks Paul,

Bill Ward February 6th, 2011 09:26 PM

I have a used CAC-12 I would likely be willing to part with.

Uli Mors February 7th, 2011 02:41 AM

Hi guys,

I am user of a PDW700 with C30WR - no mic holder, guess my face when I tried to mount my mic the first time...

I also found a used CAC12 - but I think you dont find used ones easily.

I am not a fan of the CAC12 - as long as I use my camerabag often enough. I find myself always lugging on the cam/the bag when I drop the cam into its bag - either the Viewfinder dangles on the bag or the mic holder + mic does.
A mic holder on the Viewfinder is more compact than the CAC12 - My PDW330 (with mounted mic on VF) stuffs more easy in/out.

HEY BAG DESIGNERS: Please invent a "doctors bag" mechanism that keeps open! If have the biggest PETROL, it looks like but it doesnt stay open..

Uli

Paul Cronin February 7th, 2011 10:10 AM

Uli Portabrace has solved this problem. I have used their carry on bags with the PMW350, F800, PMW500 with and with the CAC12 with out a problem. Also this past week I had the PMW500 with CAC12 Shotun with fuzzy and Westside AV wireless holder on the back with two receivers and it all fit in the bag fine. Carried in on that way on the flight home.