DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Win MXF to Mac MXF (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/491518-win-mxf-mac-mxf.html)

Anton Strauss February 10th, 2011 12:36 AM

Win MXF to Mac MXF

I shot some footage on my PDW-F335 and have transferred the MXF files to Win7 and Edius

now I also need to provide them to a Mac FCP user but he does not have PDW-U1 drive or Camera in order to capture from the disk

would it be possible to burn the MXF files to a Blu-ray data disk and will a Mac user be able to use the files then? if yes, do I need to copy all folders and files from the XDCAM disk or only the MXF files

in Win7 and Edius, I only need the MXF files and I leave all the proxy etc. on the XDCAM disk

Anton Strauss February 11th, 2011 02:07 AM

I found out that Mac does not support Blu-ray

I feel sorry for Mac users, are you all happy?

Uli Mors February 11th, 2011 02:44 AM

hi,

there are some cheap plugins for Mac that allow native import of mxf HD files like CALIBRATED MXF:

Apple - Downloads - Final Cut Studio - Calibrated{Q} MXF Import

Just find a way to send him the files (harddisk etc.)

BLURAY DATA: I am absolutely sure there are BluRay Authoring programs for Mac - so burning BDs would be a way.

Best regards

Uli

Daniel Epstein February 11th, 2011 08:12 AM

Most Mac users are pretty happy. As far as your issue of transferring footage depending on how many gigs you could use a USB Stick or harddrive. Best to transfer all files from the disc so they can sort it out at their end.

Doug Jensen February 11th, 2011 09:26 AM

Oh yeah, were happy not to be using Windows!
Of course Macs support Blu-ray, but why would we want to use that?
It's so much simpler and faster to use a USB bus-powered hard drive to move footage around. Just plug it in an go. You can get 320GB Western Digital drives for under 50 bucks, you don't need a special optical drive, and the transfer rate beats the pants off Blu-ray.

Alister Chapman February 11th, 2011 11:02 AM

As Doug said, use a USB hard drive. If you copy the entire contents of each optical disc into it's own folder on the drive you will be able access everything, metadata, proxies and the full HD files on both a Mac and PC. You can just copy the MXF files and that will work too but you will loose some of the metadata (not that FCP reads it all anyway) and the proxies.

Anton Strauss February 12th, 2011 02:07 AM

ok, I had to purchase Macdrive software in order to format a 500GB WD USB drive to apple format, then I copied the contents of the XDCAM disk, because Mac users can't read from Windows formatted disk I was told

lets wait and see if he can open it, it should get there on Monday

Anton Strauss February 12th, 2011 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1617100)
Oh yeah, were happy not to be using Windows!
Of course Macs support Blu-ray, but why would we want to use that?

are you saying that you don't have customers who order Blu-ray? It was slow here too at the beginning but now I do some on a regular basis and it is a breeze in Windows

Doug Jensen February 12th, 2011 05:16 AM

I have no desire or need to use Blu-ray as a mass storage device.
I am perfectly able to use off-the-shelf WD passport drives on both Macs and PCs without any special formatting or utility software on either platform.
I have no idea why other people run into stumbling blocks transferring footage around, because it sure seems easy from my point of view.
XDCAM footage is just data, like any other computer files, and there are hundreds of ways to move it around and store it.
In my opinion, USB bus-powered drives are fast, cheap, and 100% reliable (so far) after using more than a hundred of them over the past few years. Just plug 'n play.

Anton Strauss February 12th, 2011 07:12 AM

are you saying that if I send you a windows formatted USB drive and place some files on it, a Mac can read them?

whenever someone sends me a Mac formatted USB drive with mov files, I can't read it unless I start Macdrive software
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

Doug Jensen February 12th, 2011 08:50 AM

I'm saying that the WD drives I buy from B&H or the local Staples store work equally well with Windows or Mac right out of the box. Whether a drive that YOU format can be read across both platforms does not matter to me. :-)

John Sirb February 12th, 2011 06:00 PM

Doug I just did recently what you suggested and had dropped my xdcam files ( from the JVC 700) to a WD 320GB and his FCP could not recognized the files. Can FCP read xdcam files?

Doug Jensen February 12th, 2011 08:08 PM

Your editor could save you a lot of trouble if we would bother to spend a few minutes familiarizing himself with the FCP/XDCAM workflow. It's very easy, but certain steps must be followed.

No, FCP cannot recognize native MXF files. He must rewrap and import the files using Sony's utility software called XDCAM Transfer. A new program called XDCAM Browser can also be used, but XDCAM Transfer is better. Also, be sure he has downloaded and installed all of Sony's drivers just to be safe.

And finally, make sure he isn't running an ancient version of FCP.

Hope that helps.

John Sirb February 13th, 2011 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info Doug.

I actually did suggest to him the Sony program ( with a link to a short video about it from Tim Dashwood) but he said it couldn't convert the files. I'm not sure which version of FCP he's running.

I'll mention to him about the sony drivers.

Anton Strauss February 15th, 2011 03:05 AM

he was able to use the files and convert them to Pro Res

he said Pro Res is better for editing???