PMW-350 or -320 for left-eyed cameraman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old May 10th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Major Player

PMW-350 or -320 for left-eyed cameraman

HI all,

I hope anyone with a PMW320 or 350 can help me out here: I'm considering buying a PMW320, but I use my left eye to focus, so the viewfinder needs to travel all the way to the left side to fit in front of my left eye.
On my PDW-F350 I have to use an extra extension piece that slides into the VF-slide of the camera body.

Question one: I wonder if on the PMW-350 (or 320) the VF slides far enough to the left to work without an extension? If not, I hope I can use the extension set I have now. Put in other words, and question two: is the PMW350 dovetail of the VF-attachement the same size as the older one on the PDW-F350 ?

Thanks
Luc
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: PMW-350 or -320 for left-eyed cameraman

I use the left eye and have just got my PMW-320.
I can cope OK with the VF slid all the way to the left.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The dovetails are the same as you can fit the PDW-350 finder to the PMW-350/320 without any adapters. I expect you will want to use your extension piece.
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Major Player

You're fantastic, guys! There's no other forum where I get answers so quickly. And both of your responses are satisfying: if the VF doesn't slide far enough to the left for my crooked eyes, I can still use the adapter. Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Major Player

One more question to you both: I would buy a PMW320 and sell my beloved PDW-F350 for the following reasons: lower weight, colour viewfinder, full HD resolution, lower power consumption. I prefer the hassle-free optical disk workflow of the PDW though. Will I regret the switch?
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Trustee

Well, I don't regret moving to the EX3 ...now to the PMW320.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Luc,

I switched from the PDW-F330 to the PMW-350 and have no regrets at al.. When my hands were on the new cam for the first time It was quite difficult to get ued to the missing LCD-screen on the side. But now I am used to the new format I'm using it without any hassle.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Major Player

OK, Gabor & Anthony, thanks for the input!
Too late for regrets now, camera is ordered...

I'll keep you posted.
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #9
Major Player

Just one thing to note - you can consider retraining your right eye to become more dominant. I am right handed but my left eye is dominant, I only discovered that when I was about 20 and worked as a ranger in National Parks (during rifle training). I had to either learn to shoot left handed or force my right eye to focus down the sights. I chose the latter.

I still instinctively use my left eye when I use a dslr with a small viewfinder, so you have to keep up the 'training' and keep forcing the right eye, but it does work (unless the right eye actually has a physical problem).
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Simon,

i tried forcing my right eye to look through the VF of my PDW-F350, and it works, but I cannot close my left eye, so I have to 'block' the image of that eye in my old brain. That works OK most of the time, but when framing or focusing a difficult scene, especially with the lens on wide angle, it goes wrong. So I went back to my old habit of using the left eye and adapted the viewfinder.

As a professional stills photographer, I have the same problem: I look to the viewfinder with y left eye, so there's always an greasy imprint of my nose on the LCD-screen :-)
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts