DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Sony PMW 320K settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/496171-sony-pmw-320k-settings.html)

Simon Glidewell May 20th, 2011 09:55 AM

Sony PMW 320K settings

We are about to receive our new 320K camera (around the 24th of May). As there will be a very limited time to test it out before our shoot on the 28th of May can anyone suggest some good menu settings/gamma curves/WB settings and offer general shooting advice, bearing in mind the following requirements:

1. We are shooting a drama film with interiors and exteriors (many of the exteriors are likely to be in very bright sunlight, so we are using a mattebox with sunshades, ND filters, etc). Several of our interior shots need to be dark on screen (candlelit on some) and we will use Lilliput 300w redheads where necessary with suitable gels (to mimic moonlight). Is it better to light the scene with more light than would appear on screen and alter the levels at the editing stage, to cut down on visible noise?

2. We want to achieve a good film look, but with the minimum of noise/artifacts present (our other camera operators will be using a Sony Z5 and Sony HDR-FX1000E to provide cutaways). One suggested we shoot 25p. Apart from all shooting in 25p are there other settings all three cameras should use?

3. We will shoot in full 1080p HD.

4. We definitely want to achieve excellent colour resolution, especially for our landscape shots because we are using the film to advertise holidays.

Many thanks
Simon

Anthony McErlean May 27th, 2011 10:35 AM

Re: Sony PMW 320K settings

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Glidewell (Post 1651109)
..can anyone suggest some good menu settings/gamma curves/WB settings and offer general shooting advice, .Many thanks
Simon

Anyone willing to share some useful information regarding the 320.

Gary Nattrass May 28th, 2011 02:26 AM

Well a good starting point is to read the BBC report on the camera from Alan Roberts which also includes some recommended settings for film and video use: http://thebrownings.name/WHP034/pdf/...ony_PMW320.pdf

The Z5/FX1000E will not match the 320 very well at all as they are HDV cameras, you will be better doing what most drama people do and shoot single camera on the 320 as it will save you a lot of time in the long run trying to match it all.

For film look you should be shooting 25p, the camera will be set at 1080i as most of the high end camera's do not shoot 1080p. You need to set the camera up as shooting 1920x1080i 25p with a shutter speed of 1/50th (180 degrees) to mimic film camera setting, using the BBC film settings with the cine alta gamma curves should be fine and light it as you need it to look in the camera. Moonlight shots can be done by just shooting day for night with the white balance doing the look in the camera for you.

Personally I would set the camera up to do what you want with it rather than try and do too much in the edit as you will just be adding noise, it's all down to contrast ratios etc.

I did offer to come and assist you on this first shoot but you must appreciate that there is only so much advice that can be done on internet forums, you need to test and check you workflow before you start shooting as trying to solve fundamental problems afterwards or in post may not be possible but the BBC settings are a good starting point and I use the ones Alan gave for my camera all the time.

Anthony McErlean May 28th, 2011 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 1653549)
...the BBC settings are a good starting point and I use the ones Alan gave for my camera all the time.

I'll have another look at Alan's settings.

Thanks Gary.

Gary Nattrass May 28th, 2011 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1653556)
I'll have another look at Alan's settings.

Thanks Gary.

Hi I have sent Simon two direct e-mails regarding set-up etc.

Note that the 320 shoots 1920x1080i 25p (25psf) at 35mbs, the HDV camera's mentioned shoot 1440x1080i 25p at 25mbs so are not even the same line format etc, to try and get them to match will give you huge headaches in the edit before you even try and match the colour and gamma of the 320, you have been warned!

P.S I think you are using SD cards with an adaptor so make sure that you format the cards in the camera before each use after you have back-ed up each days footage! Do not just delete the files on the cards, re-format as this will totally re-set them and clear all data for re-use.

Anthony McErlean May 28th, 2011 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass (Post 1653557)
..I think you are using SD cards with an adaptor so make sure that you format the cards in the camera before each use after you have back-ed up each days footage! Do not just delete the files on the cards, re-format as this will totally re-set them and clear all data for re-use.

OK Gary, thanks.

Gary Nattrass May 28th, 2011 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1653562)
OK Gary, thanks.

No probs and I appreciate this is all new to you guys so if you need any help this week Simon has my e-mail address and I will try to help, as you have seen messages on the forums may not get replied to in time or at all.