DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Unknown Media, please change! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/499511-unknown-media-please-change.html)

Anthony McErlean August 12th, 2011 03:43 AM

Unknown Media, please change!

I inserted an 8GB SxS Pro card into my PMW320 and got this message.
Unknown Media (A) Please change.

What's that all about?

Is it wise to use this card at my wedding to-day?

Alister Chapman August 12th, 2011 05:14 AM

Re: Unknown Media, please change!

Was the card used in a PMW-500 by any chance?

Try formatting it in a PC using FAT then put it back in the 320.

Anthony McErlean August 12th, 2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1674449)
Was the card used in a PMW-500 by any chance?

Try formatting it in a PC using FAT then put it back in the 320.

Hi Alister, no, it wasn't, I've use this card in the 320 before without any error message, ...strange.

Ross Herewini August 14th, 2011 04:50 AM

Were you able to read the card with your mac/PC or the reader you use?

Anthony McErlean August 14th, 2011 09:50 AM

Re: Unknown Media, please change.

Hi Ross,

Just before I left to cover a wedding I inserted an empty 8gb SxS card in slot A and another empty 32gb SxS card into slot B

I would always format my cards in the camera before use btw.

It's when I put the 8gb SxS card into my PMW 320 I got the message saying,

Unknown Media (A) Please change.

Ross Herewini August 14th, 2011 08:48 PM

Hi Anthony,

You said in your first post that the camera cannot recognise the card, but what I was asking, does any other reader you have read the card.

ie

Is the card read by your reader / mac / PC or however you download, and not by the camera, or

Is the card not read by either.

If the former, then Sony may be able to service the card for you, If the latter, then the card may have completely failed.

My 0.05 is that message points to a problem with the controller chip, and if that is the case, i doubt it would be economic to fix on an 8GB card.

Anthony McErlean August 15th, 2011 03:11 AM

Hi,

I thought I would do a test record during the dancing at the wedding later that day and the SxS card work, as it should do, no message this time and it copied to the PC just fine, with my MxM PCI-e card reader so I don't know what that message was all about.

Thanks anyway Ross.

Warren Kawamoto August 15th, 2011 05:27 AM

The same thing happened to me previously, twice. I pulled out the card, re-inserted, and all was well.

Anthony McErlean August 15th, 2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 1675088)
The same thing happened to me previously, twice. I pulled out the card, re-inserted, and all was well.

Hi Warren,

Was it an SxS card?

Jack Zhang August 15th, 2011 02:26 PM

I would clean or blow on the contacts on the end of the card. In dealing with Expresscard, I have had to do that from time to time since dust on the contacts would prevent me from using a Firewire controller card on my Laptop.

John DuMontelle March 8th, 2019 10:43 AM

Just a quick thank you for this site...as well as those who generously share their information.

For the first time I ran into this very problem.

Came here first...and was not disappointed.

Blew into the contacts to gently clean them out and it works!

I also appreciate the civility here.

It above all is what keeps me coming back in times of need.

A heart felt thanks to all...in a "manly way" of course! ;)

Gary Huff March 8th, 2019 12:25 PM

You should absolutely not blow into your contacts to clean them, use a problem cleaning solution...unless you want to cause issues down the line with your media, unless you think your spit (which will get on the contacts) won't cause any issues.

Derek Heeps February 16th, 2023 09:06 PM

Yep , an air duster would be preferable

Paul R Johnson February 18th, 2023 06:17 AM

I've got a big list of things you absolutely must NOT do, that on the job, you have to. Somewhere is the lint free lens cloth, the plastic not metal tweezers, the little fuffoo brush and of course, contact cleaner, air can and proper sized screwdriver. Its always in the pouch with the spare memory card, flat button cell spare, correct size UV filter and ccorrect battery charger.

Blowing on contacts, prodding off a lump of smut from the lens with the tip of the little finger, and bending your front door key doing up a tropid plate are just hazards of the job, which we never, ever, do!

Actually - if you play the flute, you're pretty good at developing a rather dry jet of wind technique, or a splattery one if you so wish. Never, ever, however, be tempted to look inside the bag of a bagpipe!

Andrew Smith February 18th, 2023 06:58 AM

That's the thing about bagpipe players -- they make just the worst buskers.

No matter how much you pay them, they still keep on playing and simply won't stop!

(okay, I'll just be going now)

Andrew