Will there be a PMW-320 thread? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Will there be a PMW-320 thread?

Just wondering if anyone will be starting a PMW-320 thread or will just following the PMW-350 posts give basically the same info since the cameras are similar?
Can't afford the 2/3 in. PMW-350 but thinking of getting a the PMW-320 after selling my EX3.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Will there be a PMW-320 thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
but thinking of getting a the PMW-320 after selling my EX3.
I sold my EX3 and bought a 320 and am well pleased with it. You wont regret it,.. well I dont.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Can I ask what it is that you like about the 320 over the EX3?
Old October 30th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi,
Its a proper shoulder mount, so its better balanced.
Led camera light comes on when I hit record.
Prefer to have the XLRs at the back of the camera. (this is what I was used to)
Works better in low light, (well I think so)
Can use a portabrace cover.

I would have liked the card slots to be on the other side of the 320 but can live with that.

The EX3 is a great camera but I wouldn't go back to one.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Major Player

I have the 320 and I'm very satisfied with it. The controls are on the right places, just where they are on any other professional shoulder camera. With smaller cams nowadays you need miniature fingers to operate some switches and knobs. Not so with the 320. Plus V-lock batteries, interchangable lenses without an adapter, D-tap connector, ... Mighty machine!
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Major Player

I am hoping to get one in the next 60 days, assuming I can sell the EX3 for a fair price and come up with the balance cost.
I am just old fashioned and like a shoulder mounted camera with all the controls in the right places.
I am tired of using a shoulder brace.
Old October 31st, 2011, 03:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Same here: I used to have a Sony Z7, which was also a very good camera, but the contraptions I needed to use to allow decent focusing and framing, really put me off. A shoulder camera still is the best way to go, as far as I'm concerned. Unless all shooting is done from a tripod, of course...
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I own an EX1r and convinced my company to get the 320 as our upgrade into HD production this year since I was already personally familiar with the XDCAM EX system; also the 1/2" CMOS chips alone made it the obvious choice when comparing to similar cameras in it's price range.

The original Sony candidate for us was the EX3 though, but the 320 beat it in several things:
1) the loaner EX3 we got had been around the block a few times, which was actually a good thing because it was a good indicator of how the camera fairs under heavy (people-who-don't-care-about-it-because-it's-not-theirs) use... and the end result was the top handle was almost coming apart/the screws holding it together were stripped and not holding it together.
2) the fact that the viewfinder is the LCD screen kinda sucks, I like having two options.
3) the form factor. In comparison to my EX1r, it's horrible; mainly the non-locking power switch and similar buttons, the "spring loaded" SxS door and tripod plate. Also that it's some weird handheld/should hybrid.
4) the included lens in indexed and doesn't allow smooth slow zooms; anything lower than "zoom speed 7" or something results in a jerky motor response.
5) it's now officially the most out-dated of the EX lineup.

So the 320 offers a ton more features and the included lens actually does a great job with those super slow zooms, and the overall optics are decent. In order to penny-pinch we ended up going with IDX v-mount batteries, which are OK except that they suffer from a somewhat sudden power loss. Actually I think the biggest problem is that the 320's LCD battery monitor function only shows remaining voltage instead of a percentage. So if you're just shooting the day away through the viewfinder mainly, you might not realize how low your battery is. It was only after a few days I realized that there is a bar-meter for the battery level on the side LED display though, which was nice. Ultimately I wished we would have just gone with the Sony batteries though.

Something that is neat but ultimately useless for my company though is the wireless receiver slot, which if you don't need, ends up resulting in files with 4 mono audio tracks. We're fairly basic in our productions and only ever need two channels, so it means I have to get rid of the extra audio tracks during the edit which is a pain in the ass.

There's probably more to say about it, but ultimately I think that it's a shame the 320 seemed to get overlooked so often. Also the combination of my EX1r with it as a B-cam is really great; matching the color profiles requires a little bit of guess work, but I was able to get them very close. I don't think there are really any faults with it either, and the idea/option of upgrading it to a super fast Fuji lens later down the road would make it that much better.
Rob Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Major Player

Rob,
For many people audio 3 and 4 are really an asset separate from the wireless slot capability.
We normally keep channels 3 and 4 on 'Front Mic' - so they record two more tracks of audio from the camera's perspective (great for live events where a mult box or board feed doesn't include applause or audience reactions) and has saved us on more than one occasion when the regular audio tracks are otherwise compromised (such as at a press junket when the two A-list talent who are on wireless lavs decide to give each other a hug, and the wireless tracks are nothing but 'crunch'). Plus, in really noisy club situations you may even be able to use the additional tracks to provide phase cancellation audio to help make your primary audio more intelligible! And of course if you need more audio tracks, they're there!
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
I have the 320 and I'm very satisfied with it. The controls are on the right places, just where they are on any other professional shoulder camera. With smaller cams nowadays you need miniature fingers to operate some switches and knobs. Not so with the 320. Plus V-lock batteries, interchangable lenses without an adapter, D-tap connector, ... Mighty machine!
I am looking forward to getting one, if the stars align in the correct way.

Last edited by Jim Forrest; November 25th, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #11
Major Player

Mine was in back-order when I ordered it, so I had to wait 3 months to get it, but it was worth every second of the long wait. It is an amazing camera for what it costs, huge value for money.
Old November 26th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
Rob,
For many people audio 3 and 4 are really an asset separate from the wireless slot capability.
We normally keep channels 3 and 4 on 'Front Mic' - so they record two more tracks of audio from the camera's perspective (great for live events where a mult box or board feed doesn't include applause or audience reactions) and has saved us on more than one occasion when the regular audio tracks are otherwise compromised (such as at a press junket when the two A-list talent who are on wireless lavs decide to give each other a hug, and the wireless tracks are nothing but 'crunch'). Plus, in really noisy club situations you may even be able to use the additional tracks to provide phase cancellation audio to help make your primary audio more intelligible! And of course if you need more audio tracks, they're there!
We have the 320 along with the Ex-1r and the Ex-3. The 320 is really an awesome camera and we enjoy using it in a studio configuration. One question I have is about the 4 channel audio feature. we normally use the XLR inputs on the back of our camera for the wireless receivers. Recently we needed all 4 channels for audio inputs and wanted to use the inputs on the front of the camera only to realize that the mike is stereo and the XLR connection is different. Do you know of a product that connects to the stereo input on the front of the camera and allows two separate normal XLR connectors?
Thanks
Ronnie
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #13
Major Player

Hello Ronnie,
Quite a few of the new stereo mics use a 5 pin XLR. I've seen adapter cables that work in both directions- they look like Y cables but they split the 5-pin stereo XLR into two 3-pin mono xlr's

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484525-REG/Sony_CCXA53_A_5_Pin_XLR_Female_to.html
or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766151-REG/Remote_Audio_CAXSTEX5M_CAXSTEX5M_5_Pin_XLR_Male.html
Look around, there are a number of them, and check with your sound equip supplier.

At ET we had several sets for their PDW-355's, and they often came in handy.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts