DXF-20W viewfinder problem for PDW-f350 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 29th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Tourist

DXF-20W viewfinder problem for PDW-f350

Hi
My DXF-20w viewfinder for my Sony PDW-f350L is causing me some problems. I seems that the right hand vertical portion of the Band W screen has been squeezed in. So, when I look through the viewfinder, the right hand side of the image looks like it has been keystoned (or squeezed) in by about 3/4 of an inch. This throws off my framing and actually distorts that side of the B&W viewfinder image. The recorded image on the XDCAM disk and the color flipscreen look fine, so it seems it is definitely an issue with the viewfinder.
Has anyone seen this happen before? Is there any way that you can electronically move or size the image on the B&W screen of your viewfinder? Cannot seem to find a way in the menu (or anywhere else) to customize or move/stretch the image on the B&W viewfinder.
I would really appreciate any help on this

TC
Tristram Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: DXF-20W viewfinder problem for PDW-f350

Have you considered the possibiiilty that it is just plain broken? There's no menu that is going to compensate for that kind of distortion. Do you have access to another VF that you can swap it out with to compare? Sounds like it needs a trip to the hospital for repair. :-(

Last edited by Doug Jensen; October 29th, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:11 AM   #3
Major Player

it appears to be a common problem with that viewfinder, I bought a spare one so I can quickly swap while the other one has a tiny transistor replaced (same problem as yours)

I bought the service manual for the viewfinder but could not narrow it down myself
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Major Player

A strong magnet in the vicinity of the viewfinder (which is a small cathode ray tube) could also cause this problem. Headphones ?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Major Player

according to the tech who fixed mine

most likely cause, turn off camera and turn on camera with no pause, such as when making a menu change that requires restart

and I must admit, I did that many times

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts