DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Macbook Pro doesn't 'see' SxS card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/502933-macbook-pro-doesnt-see-sxs-card.html)

Luc De Wandel November 22nd, 2011 06:36 AM

Macbook Pro doesn't 'see' SxS card

I had a strange experience last night: shot a concert on my PMW-320 with a Sony SxS card. We tried to dump the footage onto the producer's Macbook Pro 17 inch, but the card didn't even show up on the desktop. Several tries all were in vain. The strangest thing is that the same card showed up immediately on my own Macbook Pro (same model as the other one) when I tried it at home. My Sony SxS reader would also read it perfectly.

The 320 has the latest firmware.

The only difference is that the producer uses XDCAM transfer, while I always use XDCAM clip browser. But then again, this should not prevent the card from showing up on the desktop, should it?

Another cameraman's SxS card, from an EX3, showed up on the producers computer, making things even more puzzling. What could have gone wrong here?

Mathieu Ghekiere November 22nd, 2011 08:13 AM

Re: Macbook Pro doesn't 'see' SxS card

Does he has the correct drivers also?

And... Does he has Lion and you have Snow Leopard by any chance?
I've heard a fellow editor complain about XDCAM Transfer support in Lion...

Luc De Wandel November 22nd, 2011 08:36 AM

Hi Mathieu,

I presume he has the right drivers as his Macbook Pro could read the other guy's SxS card (from an EX3) perfectly. His Mac ran on Snow leopard, just like mine.

Dave Sperling November 22nd, 2011 08:51 AM

I've had issues with producers not updating their computers' SxS drivers and thus not recognizing newer cards (32GB or 64GB G1a cards).
Also in one case seemed to have a problem reading data from a card that had been formatted with an F3 and subsequently shot on an EX1.
In all cases, however, I was able to access all cards and data on both my computer and my NEXTO2500 drive.
And of course once they updated their drivers and Clip Browser software all the problems were resolved.

... of course until they updated their systems it was all 'my' problem !

Moral of the story -- ALWAYS bring a viable and tested transfer system to EVERY shoot, and never rely on the producer to have a working computer or hard drive!

Luc De Wandel November 22nd, 2011 08:55 AM

Dave, that's what I said to myself yesterday: should have brought my own Mac. Won't happen again in any case.

But still, it's weird that from 2 SxS cards, both 16 Gb, both coming out of a XDCAM-EX camera, only one was recognized and the other one (mine) was not. Even more weird is that the EX3 played the card from my PMW320 perfectly.

Dave Sperling November 22nd, 2011 09:17 AM

Hi Luc,
Yes, seems wierd, but sometimes there are other variables that we may not know about.
As I mentioned, I once had an issue with a producer not being able to view a card that had been shot by an EX1 (but at some point earlier originally formatted by an F3). I wasn't able to really check all the variables involved in the problem, since all my systems recognized and played everything properly, but I'm guessing that there was something in a header file somewhere that his system didn't understand, whether additional metadata or an F3 camera data file.
And of course as soon as he updated all his software and drivers the problem went away...

So--- Even if I don't bring along a computer, I always keep the NEXTO2500 and a small spare FAT32 hard drive in my camera bag. Though the system needs external power to run the external drive, I can then use the NEXTO to transfer cards directly to the hard drive if computers fail or are not present.

On another occasion (of producers with outdated drivers- who demanded to have the footage transferred to THEIR drive) I first transferred the footage directly to the NEXTO, and they were then able to connect to the NEXTO and transfer the data onto their computer/hard drive.

Jim Forrest November 22nd, 2011 10:49 AM

Very helpful infomation...thanks. I had the same problem yesterday where the person wanted it on their hard drive on a Mac and even after they installed the Sony for Mac transfer software it still said the drivers were not present. Aren't the drivers inclued in the downloaded software?
Where did you buy the NEXTO2500? Do you then use the NEXTO usb to dump in the Sony software on a laptop.
I looked at their site and really did not give good info on where to buy.

Luc De Wandel November 22nd, 2011 10:58 AM

Eep, sound advice, Dave, thanks. I'll look into a Nexto too.

Alister Chapman November 22nd, 2011 12:53 PM

Love my Nexto. Best thing to happen to XDCAM EX if you ask me. Fast, simple, compact, reliable. And once the footage is on the Nexto you can plug it in with eSata so the workflow remains very fast.

Dave Sperling November 22nd, 2011 01:25 PM

Hi Jim,
I spend most of my time on the PC side (though I have a lot of mac-based clients.) The SxS drivers are what allow the computer to recognize (read data from) an SxS card. On the PC they are downloaded and installed completely separately from XDcamEX Clip Browser, and I'm assuming the same is true for macs.
Different clients will use different workflows - some have FCP, or Avid, or Premiere on their laptops. Others have no editing software and just use Clip Browser for viewing footage.
No, I don't use the NEXTO for the Sony software - they can download the appropriate software and install it separately.
The NEXTO is just a fast and convenient way to make backups, and I really do bring it on every shoot. Of course on some of those shoots the NEXTO is also used to make the primary transfer from the SxS cards.
I actually bought my NEXTO two NAB's ago when I saw it demo'd by the owner of the company. (I was impressed with the transfer speed, and immediately realized how much easier it would be for me to make backups.) It was only later that I started using some of its other features (like transferring to both its internal and an external hard drive simultaneously.) One of my clients (with whom I do a lot of travel shoots, on which we're usually rushing to the airport right after the last shot) likes the fact that I can copy all the cards quickly to the NEXTO using its internal battery without having to set up a whole 'transfer station', then either at the airport or on the plane he'll hook up via esata and transfer everything in one shot to his computer/drive (no additional card wrangling required) and then start editing on the plane.
I'm sure that quite a few of the professional video sales places wither carry it or can order it for you. If you go to the nextodiusa.com website and click on 'Video' then 'Where to buy' you should get a list of dealers.