How to match new 320 to EX3's cine 4/hi sat settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old January 31st, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How to match new 320 to EX3's cine 4/hi sat settings?

Where is Doug Jensen when I need him? ;) The 320's menu is quite different than my EX3's---no quick way to match them up. I use Cine 4 & Hi Sat on the EX3's, and that's all I do for the look I want. How can I achieve that look on the 320? I'm no engineer, I have no wave/vect equipment. I guess I need someone to help figure out exactly what Cine 4/Hi Sat translate to on the 320's very different designations for Matrix and such. Help please.
Chris Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to match new 320 to EX3's cine 4/hi sat settings?

We are still working that out. I too used the Cine/Sat settings on my EX3. But with the PMW320 we no longer have PP but Sceen Settings.
Those few of us have been looking at the Sceen Settings posted for the 350 which I believe has the same menu settings or very close. That is a sticky at the top of the main thread.
There are the BBC setting for the 320.
BBC RD - Publications - White Paper 034 Addendum 54 (rev 1): Tests and Settings on a Sony PMW 320
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If you turn on the user matrix in the 320 and then set each of the matrix vectors (R-B etc) to +25 you will get an increase in saturation similar to HiSat on the EX3.

There is no direct equivalent to Cinegamma 4 on the 320. Cinegamma 1 is supposed to have the same curve as Hypergamma 4 so that would be my starting point, set the EX3's to CG1 and the 320 to HG4.
Old February 7th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you Alister, I'll try that and get back to you/everybody with the results asap. I appreciate your response.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have been testing and shooting with the new 320 and EX3 and I am happy to report that the default settings on the 320, which are Standard Gamma (R709) and Matrix preset 6 (standard) match almost perfectly with the EX3 Cine4 Gamma and HiSat Matrix, which are my favorites that I've been using for years with great success as I do not grade in post if at all possible. My clients like to see what they are getting in the field, and these robust settings are great with skin tones and blacks and highlights. Just checking back in to let anyone interested know what matches. I am not a fan of the Hypergammas at all so far. The 320 has very low noise and the HG settings just crunch everything way down on the waveform, too much for me, anyway. The defaults are gorgeous.
Old February 24th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm surprised that you get a good match with a standard gamma plus variable knee and Cinegamma 4. They are very different curves. Not much difference below 60% but your highlights will look quite different.
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I was surprised too, but maybe the 350 you use and the 320 are quite different afterall? I have a seamless two camera setup working this way with the EX3 right now. I will report back if I see something strange going on in the highlights next week after two more multicam shoots.
Chris Clifton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts