HD XDCam transfer to Hard Drive via Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 29th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD XDCam transfer to Hard Drive via Mac

Client called me today and said it was taking over 3 hrs to transfer one HD XD Cam disk to hard drive. I found that hard to believe.

They are using Sony's U1 reader/writer. Footage was shot @ Sony's standard of 50m / 422.

Looking for an answer.

Thanks.

Dusty Powers
Dusty Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: HD XDCam transfer to Hard Drive via Mac

This shouldn't take more than real time, i.e. a full 23gb disc should take about 40 minutes or so. The only thing I can think of is the recipient hard drive might be defective, dying, or 5400 rpm drive. I have my PDW-U1 hooked up to my Mac Pro and it transfers reasonably fast.
Aaron Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Vortex Media

My transfers from a PDW-U1 to an external hard drive, connected to a 4 year old Mac Pro, happen at almost 3x real time. A full 23GB disc only takes about 15 minutes or so.

1) They should make sure the firmware for the U1 is up to date.
2) They should be using XDCAM Browser 2.0 for the transfer.

You should ask them if they are "transferring" or "transcoding". Maybe they are transcoding to ProRes or something else instead of doing a simple transfer. That would account for the time delay.
Old March 30th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I thank both of you for your input. I forwarded your responses to my client. They may be using an imac. I'll post back with an update.

Thanks.

Dusty
Dusty Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 04:22 AM   #5
New Boot

i have had very slow transfer speeds when dumping mxf files to clients sd cards. i put this down to the write speeds of the sd cards. i use my kit for eng and the injest time from a 300 camera to avid on a mac is quicker than real time. i injest to a usb2 external drive running at 5400 and have never had a problem.
Des Carolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Dusty, was the client perhaps using a slow 5400rpm usb drive? Maybe they were overloading the bus on the computer bogging everything down. Hope you are doing well!
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Make a simple test:

use a single file out of the CLIP folder. Take a 1GB file (or 500mb) , thats easier to calculate the speed.

Now, simply copy & paste it somewhere using the finder.

What you find is the transfer speed of the U1 to THIS harddrive.

Usually you end up with something ~2x or 3x faster than RT .
23GB (EVERYTHING incl. Proxy, Audio, Meta) is roughly 45min. HD422, now you can calculate.

So when you experience slow transfers, it could be the target drive being busy or slow, or transcoding processes in the background (AVID suffered from that in the past years).

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts