Sony XDCAM HD details at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old September 10th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony XDCAM HD details

New details on XDCAM HD from sony:
http://www.sonybiz.net/^/templates/neutral_content_product.jsp&OID=171032

1/2" CCD full size camera:
Shoots DVCAM/HDV & XDCAM HD formats
Records to "Pro Disc" (a kind of mini blue-ray dvd) Format

HD 1080 Recording at Selectable Bit Rates
The XDCAM HD products records video signals in 1080/59.94i, 50i, 29.97P, 25P or native 23.98P using the "MPEG HD" codec that adopts the well-known MPEG-2 MP@HL compression. Users can select desired bit rates either from 35, 25 or 18 Mb/s depending on their requirements for picture quality and durations. Choosing the highest 35 Mb/s enables to obtain highest-quality pictures while achieving long recording time of up to 60 minutes, or choosing the 18 Mb/s provides recording time of up to 120 minutes which is the longest time available on other HD camcorders.
John M Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Major Player

As much as I love the idea of a HD100 this camera certainly gives me reason to pause. There are many questions remaining though, non less than system cost.

Does XDCAM HD support 4:2:2 at all? (Compare it to what the HVX200 will offer)
Resolution of the 1/2" block?
Progressive support (eg 720p)?
Does it come in Black?
etc
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, cost of course is the big issue. Their previous entry level XDCAM camera lists for abut $20,000 MSRP. So I imagine this new camera will be in that price range. But who knows? I'm sure it will be more pricey than the HVX200 though, but probably about the same price as the JVC HD100 with the "good" lens.

From the specs it's still using the same codec as HDV just in variable bit rates, so I'm thinking no on the 4:2:2.

Progressive and interlaced are supprted, and in 1080 res! So I don't think there will be a 720p for this camera, however there will be a 1080p @30p, 25p, and 24p instead.

I don't know much about the ccd's at this point.

Still it's been a long time since we've had this amount of exciting offers from ALL the major manufacturers at the same time! Spoiled for choice I say.
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:02 AM   #4
Trustee

Also worth taking into consideration that this is not the final inarnation of HD XDCAM. This is a bridging product with 1/2"ccds.

Looks interesting though.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:22 AM   #5
Trustee

The RRP on the new HD XDCAM is $25k including a lens.
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:54 AM   #6
Major Player

I can live with 4:2:0 if I get 35Mbps 1080 25p from either a 1440x1080 or 1920x1080 CCD.

$25k is too rich for me upfront but if the body is around $14K (assuming about $11K for a semi decent 1/2" HD lens, I could start with my existing SD 1/2" lens and probably be no worse of than the lens quality of the HD100.

It might go against all sanity, but I'd like a HDV tranport in it as well. That way one camera will suite my own shooting needs, and also provide a common capture method for other event videographers I shoot for who I know won't spring for XDCAM equipment.
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #7
Trustee

I wonder if this means we will not see any high end 1/2" or 2/3" HDV cameras kind of like what the DSR300 and DSR500 did for the DVCAM format. It looks like XDCAM may be the new DVCAM. It would be nice to eventually have a Z1 type camera also use XDCAM since that seems to be the path of the future for SONY.

The price may be an issue however. The people who wanted to move up from DV to 1/2" DVCAM in the past didn't have to spend that much more. I think at the time the DSR300 cost around $12,000. $25,000 is a pretty big jump from $4,500. This is pretty high also considering the large JVC camera coming out next year has 2/3" cmos chips and will do 720p as well as 1080i for only an extra $2,000.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Simon,

I've never used an XDCAM myself, but some cameramen I know are swearing by them (not at them). What's been your experience in terms of picture quality, ease of use and reliability etc, with Sony's current XDCAM offerings?

I am a big fan of the IMX format, but have only used it on tapes.

How do those little blue discs work out?
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:19 AM   #9
Trustee

Picture quality: Excellent, and fully tunable via the extremely extensive setup menus. You could acheive pretty much any look you would like in camera if you so wanted.

Ease of use: Excellent. Unlike P2 XDCAM can group clips on the disc, and in the latest version of the firmware name the files according to the name of the scene you are shooting, eg "Scene2CloseUps0001.MXF" etc. The camera has a great balance on the shoulder, and looks great too! :)

Reliability: So far, excellent. No problems even when I mistakenly pressed the disc eject button with the Kata cover still zipped up on it. That could have caused damage to the eject mechanism, but all seems to be well at the moment.

I haven't had a problem with the discs. They are in a hard case and very well protected. The newer, slightly cheaper TDK discs are even more robust.
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #10
Major Player

Just the type of thing I expected to hear about it. If only it wasn't so frak'n expensive for the little guy like me.

I wish it has some type of better SD as well (like Pannys intended use of DVCPro 50 in the HVX), not just DVCAM.
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #11
Trustee

The lens is the expensive thing. If you are making money in video as a living it isn't so bad with Sony's 18 month interest free system. The DSR450 looks to be a superb buy also.

Even with all the new HD cameras coming out there still isn't one, even including the new HD XDCAM that would suit my high def shooting needs.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts