Hyper Gamma 4 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 27th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Hyper Gamma 4

Although this conversation is no longer about Hyper Gamma 4:

By default, I have zebras on but toggle them on and off to check high contrast scenes.

For example I had to shoot an interview in front of a window the other day. With zebras on the entire background was obscured by zebra pattern and I couldn't judge if I was retaining any detail.

On the other hand, on my first shoot in the Caribbean I ended up over exposing a number of shots because I didn't trust my zebras. The ambient light was so bright that it made me misjudge the exposure when I put my eye to the viewfinder.

Zebras are a useful tool but not always the right tool.
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #17
Major Player

Guess what - I just bought a sekonic lightmeter.

Not for exposure, when the camera is already on set.
But for setting up the lights (find holes in stage lighting etc.).

Regarding Zebras:

Here in Germany the NDR (north german broadcast) recommends to set Zebra to ~53% and set Zebra to DARK skin areas. Its an interesting method, but totally screws you up when you grab a camera set to 53% instead 70% ;-)

Most cameramen I know (we are talking again EB/ENG) use 70%, some use 100% to avoid or see overexp.
Most cams can show 2 Zebras, so you can do both.
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Mike

Where do you set your levels for Zebra 100%.. ? was the interview in front of the window for a look,or just no choice in the location..

Interesting about the ambient light situation.. also can be very bright where I live.. maybe Im used to to..

Yes Im sure Zebra,s have their use.. I will set them to 100% and like yourself toggle them on sometimes on a camera that isn't mine.. but as a total and final decider never would solely rely on them..

I think the thing with Doug is that he shoots his video like reversal film.. if there is no grading then you have to anyway I guess.. therefore the use of hyper gamma etc would be pointless.. and your levels have to be very precise ..

Horses for courses..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 03:22 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi Robin,

I have Zebra 1 on 80-85% and Zebra 2 at 100%. I keep skin tones clear of pattern with maybe the odd highlight showing it. I tend to light softly so highlights like that are rare - maybe on a sweating athlete or a bald man where I can't control the light.

The interview in front of the window was at the golf open and was the only option I had.
Old July 28th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #20
Major Player

ok thanks.. do you use any of the hyper game,s Ive only just come back to Sony,I had a digibeta 790 but then went to Panasonic for HD..

Are you in Essex i.e. NE of London.. or the NE of London itself..
Old July 28th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #21
Major Player

My normal settings use HG, I can't remember which off the top of my head. In post I add a little contrast but it gives me that little bit of extra flexibility for the odd shot that needs it.

Yes, I'm in Essex, just to the NE of London.
Old July 28th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #22
Trustee

Hi Robin, I use HG 4 for all outdoor shooting and HG3 for indoor shoots, I'm shooting on a Sony PMW 500 and really like the look of the hypergammas. I use zebras at all times at 80%. I use zebras as a reference or waring sign that I'm getting close to being over exposed for my style of shooting on skin. On skin tones, if I see zebras I will back off a bit or leave a strip or two on the cheek or hands etc...
I find the hypergammas great an have adjusted some of the settings on my 500 to get a look that needs little grading.
Check out my Wild Wheels TV program on You Tube and there you will see the hypergammas from the 500.

I forgot to mention that I have the zebras set at +\- 10% on the 500.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
My normal settings use HG, I can't remember which off the top of my head. In post I add a little contrast but it gives me that little bit of extra flexibility for the odd shot that needs it.

Yes, I'm in Essex, just to the NE of London.
Ok thanks.. my brother lives in Maldon/Heybridge so I go there quite a bit.. Yeah Alister posted about adding a bit of neg black gamma for a bit of contrast..

Thanks again
Old July 28th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Denny View Post
Hi Robin, I use HG 4 for all outdoor shooting and HG3 for indoor shoots, I'm shooting on a Sony PMW 500 and really like the look of the hypergammas. I use zebras at all times at 80%. I use zebras as a reference or waring sign that I'm getting close to being over exposed for my style of shooting on skin. On skin tones, if I see zebras I will back off a bit or leave a strip or two on the cheek or hands etc...
I find the hypergammas great an have adjusted some of the settings on my 500 to get a look that needs little grading.
Check out my Wild Wheels TV program on You Tube and there you will see the hypergammas from the 500.

I forgot to mention that I have the zebras set at +\- 10% on the 500.
Hi Simon

Ok thanks for the tip.. I have the 500 also..Ill check out your program..
Old July 29th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I seldom shoot sikintones over 50 IRE.

And than I even bring em down in post a bit, to give em texture.
Load any major blockbuster into your NLE and measure skintones. They mostly live around 35-40 IRE with a bit more in the highlights.

my ct2 Frank
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
Load any major blockbuster into your NLE and measure skintones. They mostly live around 35-40 IRE with a bit more in the highlights.
Only in low key scenes maybe, 35-40 is very low for normal scene. Most normal lighting scenes would be 45-60 for non shadow areas even in blockbusters.
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #27
Inner Circle

I've attached some small images cropped out from recent blockbuster clips. If you load them in to photoshop you'll see that the non-shadow skin tones range from around 45-60%, even the night time Will Smith shot reaches 48%. Yes some movies go lower for particularly dark scenes but 35-40 is not a normal exposure range. The movies are Mission impossible, Skyfall, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and Men in Black.
Attached Images

Old July 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #28
Major Player

Hi Alister

My Pana monitor BT900 has a film-rec setting.. would you advise using that for Sony HG,s or leave it 709 to see how it looks on a "normal" tv before grading..

Thanks again
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #29
Inner Circle

I'd leave it on 709 as that's how the end user will be viewing you footage. The Film Rec curve is there to match the Panasonic Film Rec gamma and applies a correction to the image to show a more natural image. But this is specifically for the Pana gamma and not Sony's Hypergamma.
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #30
Major Player

Ok thanks for your time.. I used to do some shoots for DVA by the way.. way back in the 80,s ..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts