Hyper Gamma 4 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 31st, 2012, 01:25 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Hyper Gamma 4

Of course Robin, you name has been bugging me for a while. That's the connection.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:39 AM   #32
Major Player

I was cam assist for Barry Ackroyd for about 6 yrs and he was friends with Dave.. I remember operating on one of their corp shoots with Dawn French.. and being unable to actually pan or tilt.. the camera as i was laughing so hard.. became a serious problem and ending up drawing blood due to biting the inside of my mouth..!!
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #33
New Boot

Lots of talk about Hyper Gamma here and people liking the look.

My tests with HG2 compared to R709 look dark and flat and I havent had the courage to try fully in the field on a job. Maybe HG is more natural for a film look but for TV, corporate or event, the image would appear to require a basic grade to lift midtones, add contrast and maybe add chroma saturation.

I have shot on ITU-R709 on my PDW-700 for the last 5 years and shoot 50i. My output is non-broadcast DVD/BD/Web. The only reason I am investigating a change is because I'm noticing more and more encoders or devices clamping 109 IRE white at 100, thus am looking to legalise at 100 IRE and considering trying HG 1/2. I've also had a tendency to slighly overexpose but thats another subject, have reduced zebra to 70% and how i assess the viewfinder to try and nail exposure better.

My dilema is whether to try HG2 outdoor and HG1 indoor on a job being careful not to overexpose mid/fleshtones (from what I've read). Applying a basic grade preset to all outdoor clips and another preset to all indoor clips only tweaking the odd shot if necessary. Although changing HG if going from indoor to outdoor alot will be a pain. I also dont want to have to grade on a shot by shot basis.

Alternatively, continue with R709 and spend more time experimenting with knee settings to mimic the latitude of HG and try and get pleasing highlight handling in-camera.

Can anyone suggest R709 or HG paint settings giving rich blacks, good contrast, colour saturation and knee handling for live to air output or where no grading? Is there merit to use standard ITU-R709, detail -19. Maybe turn down Master Black a touch when not grading?
Mark P. Stuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts