Sony PMW400 shoulder mounted XDCam - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 11th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Sony PMW400 shoulder mounted XDCam

The PMW-400 is going to be pretty cheap. I heard a price of around $16k/£10k
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

PMW400 Could be the HD Version of DSR400

Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #18
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
The PMW-400 is going to be pretty cheap. I heard a price of around $16k/£10k
What??
$16K - is that with a kit lens and EVF? If so, that is an amazing price point. That would be thousands less than the 350 it replaces.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
$16K - is that with a kit lens and EVF? If so, that is an amazing price point. That would be thousands less than the 350 it replaces.
No way. A good 2/3 HD lens costs $16K & up. At that price you'll most likely get the VF, no lens and if you're lucky a mic.
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #20
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen View Post
No way. A good 2/3 HD lens costs $16K & up. At that price you'll most likely get the VF, no lens and if you're lucky a mic.
A really good HD lens, yes.
But an adequate lens comes with the PMW350 in a kit. Here's one for $18,400.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657503-REG/Sony_PMW_350K_PMW_350K_XDCAM_EX_HD.html

That's why I am wondering if the stated $16,000 price for the PMW400 includes the kit lens. I'm guessing it's body w/ EVF only.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Inner Circle

In the UK, a 350L is about £9,800 at the moment, a 350K is about 10,850. So if Alister says "heard a price of around $16k/£10k" that is virtually exactly what the 350L is going for at the moment. One manufacturers website is already listing a PMW400L and a 400K, so it seems highly likely the K model will have the same lens and be a little under £11,000. Probably about $17,500 in the US, and yes, it does include a very good viewfinder.

I have a PMW320K, and a similar situation with kit lens. I can't dispute it's possible to get better 2/3" lenses - but pay huge amounts more for. The kit lens represents incredible value for money, and if far wider zooms, longer reach telephoto etc are called for, you can always rent or buy later
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #22
Inner Circle

The messages I heard at NAB was that the 400 will cost roughly the same as the 350. The 400 is basically a 350 with a new codec chip, so there isn't really any reason why the price should be all that different. The other differences are the extra HDSDI port (which is a little add on on the side of the body) and a removable panel on the right hand side to allow you to dock the proxy/ftp box on the side. I think it's a hell of a lot of camera for the money and I'm going to be banging on the product managers door over the coming months to get one for testing and review.
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
The messages I heard at NAB was that the 400 will cost roughly the same as the 350.
Doesn't surprise me, but it begs the question whether the PMW350 will continue to be available at a reduced price, or whether it will just be replaced by the PMW400?

And have you heard anything about an upgrade to the PMW320/EX3, to give either/both of them the 50Mbs codec? Because after the PMW200 etc and now the 400, they're looking the odd ones out?
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #24
Inner Circle

No whisperings of a 320 replacement. I think it's only a matter of time before we see a PMW-200 type camcorder with XAVC. My guess would be NAB next year.
Old April 13th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
No whisperings of a 320 replacement. I think it's only a matter of time before we see a PMW-200 type camcorder with XAVC. My guess would be NAB next year.
That means at least my EX1R has another useful year left before obsolescence catches up.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Alister
It would be good if you could review the new PMW 400 alongside a 500 to look at the images from the CMOS sensors in the 400 in comparison to the 3 CCD chips of the 500.
But I wonder whether Sony would let you do that as the 500 should be the superior image. But bang for buck, the 400 represents excellent value at the approximate prices being quoted.
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
That means at least my EX1R has another useful year left before obsolescence catches up.
:-) In all seriousness, I suspect XAVC has it's real point when you want to go to higher framerates and/or higher resolutions such as 4k. Likewise cameras with very low noise figures, when the 10 bit nature starts becoming relevant. That's why it's no surprise to see it's first appearance on high end, looking to the future, cameras such as the F5/55.

For the standard of images that the EX1R produces, and in one of the current broadcast TV standards (1080p/25, 720p/50 etc) it's not likely to offer that many quality benefits, but likely be more difficult to work with and require a higher datarate for recording. On the other hand, XDCAM at 35 or 50Mbs is a far more valid "here and now" matter. For broadcast, 35Mbs is only really recommended for news etc, 50 Mbs is fully accepted.

Putting XAVC options on to the PMW400 can only be welcomed in terms of future compatability, but I suspect that most of those sold will spend most of their lives switched to XDCAM - at 35Mbs for news, 50Mbs for other work.
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Langdon View Post
But I wonder whether Sony would let you do that as the 500 should be the superior image. But bang for buck, the 400 represents excellent value at the approximate prices being quoted.
I suspect a big problem would be that there are so many variables it becomes difficult to reach a truly valid judgement. It's also quite possible that many of the differences may be subtle, and may be in terms of control via menu options - not just "in your face" quality of image factors. That may make them well worth it in terms of higher end use - less so in terms of news, documentary etc. (When lower power consumption is far more likely to be relevant.)

But yes, I agree that it's in "bang for buck" terms that the PMW400 really scores. The PMW350 has been pretty well received, but there's always been that niggling "if I do anything for full broadcast spec I'll need a separate recorder". With the PMW400, that caveat has gone away.
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #29
Major Player

Alister do you maybe know if it indeed comes with a lens? And is that the same one as on the PMW-350? With this camcorder coming there would not onlu be no market left for the PMW-350, also the PDW-680 gets a hard time. The reason to buy this one for ENG to most freelance newsguys was the 50 Mbit.... Now it's only the disc-workflow which would be preferable to some people, though, not to me....
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I believe you will be able to buy just the body only or with the same kit lens as the 350K. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

Re 500 vs 400. I always liked the image quality from the 350, there is something more organic about the 350 pictures that I prefer over the PMW-500. That's a personal choice and not everyone will agree. In terms of sensitivity, noise and dynamic range the 350 and 500 are very close and I suspect the 400 will be no different.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts