Sony PMW400 shoulder mounted XDCam - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:54 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Sony PMW400 shoulder mounted XDCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Move onto Outside Broadcast and studio cameras being powered down the cable and power consumption becomes far less important, and hence likewise the need to move onto CMOS.
When I was at CBC-Radio Canada (the Canadian national public broadcaster), we used Camplex units for our OB news trucks (French had satellite and English had microwave in Winnipeg when I was there) that sent bi-directional video, 2 ch audio, duplex comms and 12v up to I BELIEVE 70 watts over RG-6 coax so I could power just about everything as long as I didn't use my "sungun".

If memory serves, the BetaSX cams used about 18w in standby, 27w with the transport engaged and we never rolled tape in-camera during live hits. The ODD time I HAD to use the sungun, I'd throw a BPL-90 on and disconnect the 4 pin XLR from the Camplex so I wouldn't trip the breaker at the truck.

Of course, our big OB stuff was either multicore or triax.

EDIT: Actually, the 9 series BetaSX used 31 watts transport engaged.

Last edited by Shaun Roemich; April 23rd, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Shaun Roemich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Back lit sensors only bring an advantage when the pixel size is smaller than those on most 1/3 and 1/2" HD sensors. Pixels are not going to suddenly get more sensitive. Decent modern sensors already achieve QE's of over 70%, that's to say that 70% of the photons of light that hit the sensor get turned into electrons. It would take a completely new sensor material to improve sensor sensitivity, and even then at best the most we would see would be a 20% - 30% sensitivity increase which is only 1/3 of a stop. That's just the laws of physics at play.Sensor and pixel size is everything!
There are likely to be further very small improvements in noise performance and noise reduction and these may help but noise reduction almost always comes at the expense of some other image artefacts.

CCD's biggest problem is the cost. A CCD sensor has to read out the signal by passing it down through a series of memory registers or pixels. The problem with this is that in a 1920 x 1080 CCD sensor the readout form pixels at the top line of the sensor have to pass down through 1079 of these pixels or memory registers. If there is even the smallest imperfection with one of the registers then it will effect the entire vertical column, get two of three registers in a column with even the minutest bit of signal loss and the signal form every pixel above those registers will be degraded and the quality loss is cumulative. As a result of this need for perfect quality registers the base silicon used has to be of the very best quality and the reject rate for finished sensors is very high. This makes CCD's significantly harder and more expensive to make than a CMOS sensor. CMOS sensors can directly access each pixel, so they don't have this issue. Heat and power are other factors, but in a large bodied shoulder mount camera the heat can be dissipated reasonably easily.
Old April 26th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #48
Trustee

I shoot a lot of broadcast and its all 2/3 inch or even 1/3 inch. Love my PWM 500 and about to hit the road again shooting in some of the hardest part of our country, extreme heat, dust and loads of fishing. The 400 looks good.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #49
Inner Circle

With you all the way mate, PMW 500 is the best camera i have ever owned.

Hope you are well?
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #50
Trustee

Here is a small promo that I shot and edited for an new show I'm putting together. Shot on the PMW 500 and no grading done at all, probably should have but looks great on my Flanders as is. Call me crazy but CCD's has a feel and look that I love.

Old April 26th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Nice Simon,

I enjoy your work. With you all the way I have never owned a CMOS that could compare to the PMW500 CCD, not even close. But I am sure there will be people who will put up specs and tell me I am wrong, fine they have their opinion. But if I could trade my C300 and all my 10 Canon L glass for my 500 and Fujinon I would do it in a second.

I WILL come visit in the near future. Have Fun with Fall in the air in OZ.
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #52
Trustee

Thanks for the kind words mate. When you get here we should catchup?
Old April 26th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #53
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
And frankly, if you think you are going to find operators that can do tight follow on a ball receiver with a S35 sized sensor at full telephoto, you're kidding yourself.

Horses for courses.

2/3" is alive and well.
I read that an imagined my frustration at pulling focus on a running back at full speed coming toward me while running end zone cam in the evenings when shooting borderline wide open.

/shudder
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #54
Inner Circle

You will be one of the fist to know Simon when I head to OZ.
Old September 9th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #55
Major Player

My pre-order for this camera is already open for some time. With an expected launchdate of august 2013 I would have loved it if Sony would have brought this PMW-400 to the European market before the IBC but it seems the're just not gonna make that. Though, B&H shows the PMW-400K in stock. Is there already someone with first experiences? Curious...
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:04 AM   #56
Austinite

This camera does NOT have a waveform. Correct? I see it has a histogram.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Now this has been a quite thread for a while. I am interested in PMW-400 owners and their experience with the camera?

Also I read, but can't find it anywhere now, that you can buy PMW-400 with a 14x lens and have OS. Is this true?
Old March 27th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
...Re 500 vs 400. I always liked the image quality from the 350, there is something more organic about the 350 pictures that I prefer over the PMW-500. That's a personal choice and not everyone will agree. In terms of sensitivity, noise and dynamic range the 350 and 500 are very close and I suspect the 400 will be no different.
Interesting... I know the noise level of the PMW350 (CMOS) and PDW700 (CCD) and I personaly prefer the PDW700 quality. But I'm not an operator of these cameras so I don't know which setup was used. I also don't know the quality of PMW500.
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts