DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   PDW-F350 - Firmware-Updates still possible? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/523916-pdw-f350-firmware-updates-still-possible.html)

Stefan Szczuka July 1st, 2014 02:47 AM

PDW-F350 - Firmware-Updates still possible?

I recently bought a used Sony PDW-F350 which seems to be in a very good shape. The only problem I have is the firmware. I think that I am still on first firmware package as I don't have the "D4 ROM Version"-Option on the Diagnosis-Menu. I do have an 8GB Memory Stick and have already discovered how to force boot the camera from the stick following instructions on an older thread in this forum.

The only thing I don't have are the necessary firmware files starting at "PKG-1.62/AT-1.53".

Sony only seems to have the 1.98 and 2.00 firmware-zips on it's support page.

So, if any of you like to take a trip down memory lane and could look if you still have old zips with PDW-F350 firmware, I would be very happy.

Thanks in advance!

Gabor Heeres July 1st, 2014 04:33 AM

Re: PDW-F350 - Firmware-Updates still possible?

Hi Stefan,

Please be aware to update these camcorders firmware (Had a PDW-F330 myself one day) step by step. You cannot just update to the latest firmware file from an earlier one than the previous firmware. And yes, this is a en extensive time-runnig process unfortunately.

Gabor

Stefan Szczuka July 1st, 2014 05:11 AM

Thanks for the advice Gabor. But I am willing to take this process... ;-)
Do you have any idea, where to find these update packages prior to the 1.98 and 2.00 versions that are online at Sony's support pages?

Gabor Heeres July 1st, 2014 05:30 AM

Unfortunately not. If somebody should know Allister would be your best bet ;-).

Christopher Young July 2nd, 2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Szczuka (Post 1850582)
Do you have any idea, where to find these update packages prior to the 1.98 and 2.00 versions that are online at Sony's support pages?

Stefan ~

V1.62 - AT V1.53 was not the original camera software it was the first upgrade that was issued after the release of the cameras. V1.62 came out in July 2007.

If you haven't been able to find the upgrades I have all of them up to the last versions that are still available. So that’s FW V1.62 thru to FW V2.0 and in the AT packages that’s from AT V1.53 thru to AT V 1.70. The last three FW packages V 1.98, 1.99 and 2.0 had no AT upgrades just the FW components. All up there are nine complete upgrade packages.

I can't remember which version it was but one of them specified that the camera had to go back to Sony as a special jig was required to perform the upgrade. We discovered this to be correct to allow larger Sony Memory Sticks to be used. We were told that we could run this update without the cameras going back to Sony but we would still be restricted to the smaller capacity memory sticks. From memory we did all our upgrades using 8 MB, yes 8 MB sticks, and had no issues whatsoever. A few cameramen I knew picked up used 8 -16 MB sized sticks off eBay as Sony no longer make these smaller capacity sticks.

If you want the upgrades Stefan I am happy to let you have them on one proviso. I take no responsibility if you ‘brick’ your camera during the process. If you follow all the upgrade steps exactly as outlined in the PDF files that come with each package you should be fine. During the process you will come across one of the upgrade PDFs mentioning the ‘jig’ upgrade. Just ignore that and keep going. I saw six of these cameras through all these upgrades and had no issues at all. If you still need them I can ZIP them altogether, about 1i0MB, and upload them and send you a download link.

EDIT:
Just had a look through all the firmware and seem to remember just bypassing FW V1.62 - AT V1.54 entirely as this was the version that required the 'jig' upgrade for cards up to 2GB. I ignored all the warnings and went straight to FW V1.93 - AT V1.60. As I said I was informed you could do this by someone from inside the big 'S' company. Of course I would deny this under interrogation :) On the other hand you could just take your camera to Sony and get them to do this one upgrade, FW V1.62 - AT V1.54 and then do the rest yourself I guess.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Stefan Szczuka July 4th, 2014 02:22 AM

Thank you, Chris! That's super cool. Of course, I won't hold you responsible for me messing things up ;-)
I wrote you a PM on how to send me the files. Thanks in advance!

Brett Kelly September 23rd, 2014 09:41 PM

Hi, I'm after these files as well if someone could help me out.

Cheers Brett

Christopher Young September 24th, 2014 06:23 AM

No problems Brett. I see you sent me mail so I will send you a download link so that you can access the archive. Just make sure you read the READ ME 1ST note before you procede. All the necessary details you need are in the previous posts here along with the additional info you will find in the zip file that you will download. Remember all care but no responsibility if you you brick the camera. :)

Cheers

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney