sony xdcam hd - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 5th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #16
Regular Crew

XDCam

That JVC camera is interesting...the local rep is supposed to let me demo a 2/3" chip model, with switchable chips! Amazing.

I don't know about the compression though. I do think that the Z1 is pretty good.

XDCam has a lot of potential as well. I don't see how us freelancers would be willing to hand of a couple of $1,200 P2 cards to a client, hoping to get them back, or a client that has P2 cards themselves. besides, what happens if you have to keep rolling tape (or card) and you run out of cards? And you don't have time to keep transferring to a hard drive on the set?

that's why P2 will have limited use. XDCam shoots on a relatively inexpensive 30 dollar disk, which is cool. Personally, I can't stand those XL-1-ish semi-manual lenses, which suck in fully manual mode. I hope there will be an HD XDCam with a real fully manual lens.

When I shoot HDTV, it's usually an F900 or a Varicam, we'll see if these new cameras will become popular for programming.

Personally, there's waaay to many HD formats out there right now, and investing in one would be too risky. I am much better off renting. Most of my paychecks still are thanks to my Betacam.
Jacques Star is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts