PXW-X400 announced at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 11th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #1
Trustee

PXW-X400 announced

It's like a really pimped out PMW-400, with an OLED EVF option. :-D

PXW-X400 (PXWX400) : Product Overview : United Kingdom : Sony Professional
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 12:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: PXW-X400 announced

Sony just announced the CBK-Z450UK 4K UHD upgrade "kit" for the PXW-X400. I would assume this must include a new CMOS sensor block, because the X400 has 1920x1080 sensors. Sony says that this kit converts the PXW-X400 into a PXW-Z450 4K 2160 60p UHD camcorder.

Paul
Old April 22nd, 2016, 09:06 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Yes, that is correct. With the paid 4K upgrade (available next winter) you can send your X400 back to Sony and they will swap out the three HD 2/3" CMOS sensors with a single 4K 2/3" CMOS sensor. The rest of the camera is already built for 4K.

After the upgrade, your X400 will essentially be identical in every way to the announced Z450 camcorder which will also be available next winter. So with the X400 you get HD now and the option of upgrading to 4K later.

BTW, Sony has not announced a price for either the X400 upgrade or the Z450.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:09 PM   #4
Trustee

I've experienced a 2/3 single CMOS shoulder camera before, the HPX600......it was a pathetic piece of garbage.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 08:30 AM   #5
Vortex Media

I'll be the first to admit the Z450 didn't knock my socks off at NAB, but it was a protoype and even Sony said it was a work in progress and didn't represent what the production camera would look like. I hope to get my hands on one next winter to test drive for them.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 10:17 PM   #6
Trustee

Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking Doug. If the 450 has a single sensor QFHD/4K conventional type Bayer CMOS sensor once it's de-bayered it's going to have a resolution of around 3.2K... correct? Like Paul mentioned with the Panny 600, it was battling to deliver 1.6K in 1920 x 1080.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Last edited by Christopher Young; April 24th, 2016 at 12:58 AM.
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 02:23 AM   #7
Trustee

B4 lenses do not work well on single chip cameras......the HPX600 even with CAC HA16 lens had the left third of the screen focus point different from center and right of frame......ugh.
Old April 24th, 2016, 10:38 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
B4 lenses do not work well on single chip cameras......the HPX600 even with CAC HA16 lens had the left third of the screen focus point different from center and right of frame......ugh.
Sounds like something else was out of whack... Either the lens mount or a skewed element within the lens. I've had good results using a 22x B4 eng lens with mounting adapter on an F55 in center crop mode. Not something I'd do unless I needed the zoom range, but field of focus was consistent across the frame.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #9
Vortex Media

Chris,

If the camera can deliver a 3840x2160 file then it is fair to call it a 4K camera. How it arrives at that 4K resolution may not be up to someone standards, but the same could be said of the vast majority of the "4K" cameras on the market that do the same thing. In fact, you might as well question if a lot of the single sensor HD cameras are truly Full HD or not. I am in the camp that says we should classify a camera by it's output codec resolution and not the way the signal was captured because that is a whole different can of worms.
Old April 25th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #10
Trustee

True, that's how I understand it, that none of the Bayer pattern sensor 4K cameras are 'true' 4k in the sense of resolution. So yes I agree that it's output is what defines it as '4K.' It's the only way of looking at it from a production point of view I guess.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yikes! I'm seeing OK results with the PX5000. It's a CMOS 2/3" cam but it has 3 of them. If I'm not mistaken, 2/3" lenses are designed for CCD with prism block right? CMOS sensor doesn't have this and they may have to artificially introduce it to make it work. Personally, the HPX-3100 with its 3-CCD has a warmer and more pleasing look than the cold and sterile PX5000 CMOS look.

I have a client who wants to do a multicam shoot with HPX-610. Based on your review, I think it's not looking favorable. Can you explain in details why it's not looking good on the HPX600? What are the problems?

Quote:
Sam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Everything looks great but I don't think I can afford another $25-$35K for the UHD lenses from Fujinon or Canon. I guess I can use HD lenses but afraid it will be soft at corners and full of chroma aberrations.

Quote:
It's like a really pimped out PMW-400, with an OLED EVF option. :-D

PXW-X400 (PXWX400) : Product Overview : United Kingdom : Sony Professional
Sam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #13
Trustee

This is the performance of the HPX600 using Fujinon HA16x7.6BERM CAC enabled broadcast lens, in amazing 100Mbps AVC Intra........enjoy.......and see why i returned that camera the following day.

Any questions?
Old April 25th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #14
Trustee

My understanding is that 2/3 B4 lenses are designed with the intention of spraying different wavelengths of light at different focal points through the prism, and when you remove that, the colors arrive in what can best be described as the "fist light" problem the Hubble space telescope had. It's an uncorrectable form of Chromatic Aberration.

Paul
Old April 25th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I see major halo, plenty of chromatic aberrations, and contrast handling problems on the license plate. Overall it doesn't like high contrasty scenes (day or night) That's just not acceptable for DTV broadcast. The HA Premiere series should be pretty decent vs the economical XA series and ZA. Many people said they couldn't discern between HA and ZA in optical quality. So that leaves to the subpar camera imaging section on the HPX-600's single CMOS and other electronic enhancements, particularly DRS.

Quote:
This is the performance of the HPX600 using Fujinon HA16x7.6BERM CAC enabled broadcast lens, in amazing 100Mbps AVC Intra........enjoy.......and see why i returned that camera the following day.

https://youtu.be/-PEMifRrDHI

Any questions?
Sam Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts