What Is The Best Configuration? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old August 2nd, 2016, 04:00 AM   #1
New Boot

What Is The Best Configuration?

Hi Guys

I have a technical question which I hope that someone will be able to answer for me. I use a Sony PMW 320 and am at present recording the XDCAM EX files using 1920 X 1080 50i. There is the option in the camera's menu to use 25p as apposed to 50i. Could someone please explain the circumstances in which it would be preferable to use one setting rather than the other? I film sporting events where a good deal of fast movement takes place and usually output to DVD.
Also, what shutter setting would you recommend?
Bob Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 03:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What Is The Best Configuration?

25p would be more suited to cinematic/dramatic production like TV series. Internet delivery would also benefit since it's the camera's only progressive scan mode at 1920x1080, but would not work at all for high paced sports due to lack of frame rate.

YouTube is starting to support high frame rate content now, so you could try shooting at 720p 50p. Depending on the camera, some may say HQ 720/50p or HQ 1280/50p. If your current stuff is sports related, I would recommend that setting. Also uploading that natively to YouTube will allow the high frame rate of the source footage to be retained. Uploading a 1080i file to YouTube de-interlaces it to 25p, which does not maintain smooth motion.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Sporting events are generally shot interlaced for broadcast work, the equivalent for progressive on the net would be 50p.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Trustee

Stick with 50i for broadcast, but if your primary or long term final product will reside on the internet, then 25p. 50i looks better for motion compared to 25p...but only on TV sets because they have interlaced modes which make it look clear as 50p.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts