PXW-X320 calibration/alignment settings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 7th, 2018, 06:01 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: PXW-X320 calibration/alignment settings

Looking much better....here are your settings with addition of white and black limit at +35/+30. The door edges seem to have excessive white and black sized edging....would this be where I would adjust the FREQUENCY level to make them thinner? Any other suggestions based on this screen grab are greatly appreciated. Getting a little too close to SD uprezzed to HD look. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
PXW-X320 calibration/alignment settings-bnt_0220_01.jpg  
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 12:56 AM   #17
Major Player

From my POV you are going in the right direction. I think our Mr. A Chapman sums it up pretty concisely in this parra.

"As well as adjusting the amount of detail correction (Detail Level), you can also adjust the ratio of horizontal and vertical correction, the maximum brightness or darkness of the applied edges (white and black limit). The thickness of the edges (frequency), the minimum contrast change that the correction will be applied to (crispening) and you can tell the camera not to apply detail correction to dark areas (level depend)."

It really is a matter of a combination of these above adjustments. They can vary considerably between SD and HD and even between 720 and 1080 not to mention 4K.

Detail Correction, Crispening, Aperture and Image Sharpness | XDCAM-USER.COM

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 12:10 PM   #18
Trustee

I think i really nailed the right combination of settings for detail...the still frames are with your hi sat matrix, and some custom detail settings i did pointing at crap around my room at 12db gain while fiddling with the menu. I am running +20 crispening, +70 for both black and white limit, and 0 for detail. The massively high limit values were the key to keeping the detail from looking cartoonish, and leaving all the other settings pretty much zed out kept my shadows from going all muddy. Cannot believe how horrible the PMW320 looked with stock gain settings!

Chris, let me know what looks odd to you or that I should pay closer attention to, and I will tweak a little more. Again, I did these in my room at night, not particularly pointing at any subject manner type I would actually record. :)
Attached Thumbnails
PXW-X320 calibration/alignment settings-la-mesa-crash.jpg   PXW-X320 calibration/alignment settings-la-mesa-crash-2.jpg  

PXW-X320 calibration/alignment settings-la-mesa-crash-3.jpg   PXW-X320 calibration/alignment settings-lakeside-house-fire.jpg  

PXW-X320 calibration/alignment settings-lakeside-house-fire-2.jpg   PXW-X320 calibration/alignment settings-lakeside-house-fire-3.jpg  

Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:36 AM   #19
Major Player

Paul I see nothing really objectionable in any of the pictures. The extreme highlight spots, the white bits and floro reflective jackets, always bad news in hard direct camera light, all look sharp but 'smooth' sharp, not hard aliased edges which is often the case on high contrast transitions when detail is too high. Look if I had to work with that camera like I see it now I wouldn't have any qualms about it. Overall the image looks fine to me. There again you are the final decision maker. If you are happy with the results and more importantly if the client is then it's probably time to save those settings for that sort of work. Good results!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Adorama
(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

VideoGuys
(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts