HDW-F900 Scene File Settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 13th, 2018, 09:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDW-F900 Scene File Settings?

Recently purchased a Sony HDW-F900 and was looking to see if anyone had any scene file settings lying around that I could experiment with? Also, if anyone knows how to update the ROM version on the camera, that would be great.

Thanks
Old April 14th, 2018, 01:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: HDW-F900 Scene File Settings?

Just to clarify - F900 or F900R? The F900 firmware was sold on physical memory sticks and each pertained to a specific board or function on the unit (similar to the way firmware works on the tape decks), while the F900R firmware was available for download as a compressed archive, so you could load it on a Sony Memory Stick flash yourself.
Edit: Ok I see in your other thread that it's a non-R.

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...l-HDWF900.aspx

I suppose perhaps you could reach out to POSC to see if they might be willing to just provide the files... but they have been a bit harder to get a hold of as of recently, and have gone to a SalesForce CRM/ticketing system. I've just been sending emails in to open a case, and then following up with a phone call (with the ticket reference ID if I haven't heard back.

I've been collecting the F900R's as they are pretty low cost these days on the used market (far cry from the $100k+ they used to be, brand new) and the -R suffix models have HD-SDI output (the original F900 did not, only analog component) which give them a second life even after the heyday of tape formats.
Kevin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2018, 12:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response. The reason i am trying to upgrade my F900 is i would like to use the CVPeditor software to load custom gamma curves in. The software I have in the 900 is too old to allow user gammas.

IF: V1.41
SV: V1.06
SY: V1.18

Also, do you have any scene file settings i could load into the 900 via the memory stick? Thanks.
Michael Krumlauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

How do I upgrade the "AT Version". What even is that?
Old April 14th, 2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Here is a photo listing
Attached Thumbnails
HDW-F900 Scene File Settings?-screen-shot-2018-04-14-2.09.50-pm.png  
Old April 17th, 2018, 02:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I just flipped through the service manual for a HDW-F900 and there is no 'AT' board anywhere in this model. Other models like that HDC-9xx series do have such a board, and the version would be shown in the menu if that were the case.

F900:
IF = Camera system controller and fan controller
SV = Servo controller
SY = VTR system controller and timecode functions
Attached Thumbnails
HDW-F900 Scene File Settings?-hdc-900_at-130_rom.png  
Old April 17th, 2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

So then i wonder what Sony means by that? I would understand the error more if this was third party software for the cameras but it was made by sony for sony cameras so whats the deal? Am I out of luck to think ill ever be able to use CVPeditor with my F900?
Old April 18th, 2018, 02:27 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I will admit I don't usually try to create looks on a computer and then import them into the camera/camcorder, I usually develop them ON one device and only use the file management feature to export/import into similar devices. Then again my world is typically Rec.709, and I only play with the knee curves/slopes and detail/aperture settings for the most part in the Paint menu.

What particular issue do you run into when you just attempt to load in a custom curve? Or are you finding the menu options simply don't exist to import from Memory Stick? I don't have a non-R model handy to walk through the steps unfortunately.

I would probably take that inquiry and send it as an email to prosupport@sony.com or AdvancedCustomerSolutions@am.sony.com ... give them the versions you currently have installed and the device serial, and they can advise if and how you may be able to update it.

Let us know what you hear back in case someone else might come across this discussion in the future too.
Old April 18th, 2018, 09:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Will do Kevin, Thanks
Old April 24th, 2018, 02:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I got a response from Sony which is the following....

"In regard to your inquiry HDW-F900 serial number 10307 can not be upgraded to IF v2.0 as it requires the UGK-F900 Upgrade Kit which is no longer available."

It looks like i will be unable to move forward with the proper upgrade as Sony no longer as the needed pieces to do so.
Michael Krumlauf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts