DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   PDW-f350 Mac OSX problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/536444-pdw-f350-mac-osx-problem.html)

Peter Newsom December 2nd, 2018 03:25 PM

PDW-f350 Mac OSX problem

Hi,
My old Mac Book Pro(2007) is dying(video card) and taking with it my ability to pull files from the camera using FAM for FTP transferes. Since El Capitan came along I can't find drivers to support the camera, so a new MBP won't solve the problem.

The camera is still useful to me for shooting news, and I hate to replace it just yet.

Does anyone know if an f350 will still work with recent PC computers?

Any good solutions with alternate recording devices onboard the camera?

Thanks for any thoughts or help.

Peter Newsom
Ottawa, Canada

Christopher Young December 2nd, 2018 06:53 PM

Re: PDW-f350 Mac OSX problem

Yes the Sony FAM 64-bit software will work with the later Win operating systems. Just install the latest FAM 2.30 (ProDisc) drivers. You obviously need a Firewire to PC connection. Most late model PCs don't have a Firewire port so it usually means using a desktop with an additional Firewire card installed or an earlier laptop that has a Firewire port. I have found it's best to make sure the camera is also running the latest firmware which in the case of your 350 is v2.0. You can download both the ProDisc FAM and camera upgrade versions from here:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...?model=pdwf350

I have every version of the camera firmware should you need to upgrade incrementally as in some cases you had to go through certain earlier upgrades before you could install the latest version. If you need them don't hesitate to ask.

I have used the old Convergent Design NanoFlash with these and other SDI cameras mounted on a wireless bracket. This then gives you access to the XDCam 422 50-Mbit codec which is still widely used world wide in news. You can run up to 280-Mbit. It runs Compact Flash cards and triggers off the camera stop start button. Transfer is real easy and very fast obviously as you just need a good a good USB 3 card reader. A USB 2 will work but it is so much faster using USB 3. Here is a shot of a camera mounted Nano from Alistair Chapman's site:

http://www.xdcam-user.com/2009/11/pm...no-right-side/

Chris Young
Sydney

Peter Newsom December 4th, 2018 07:38 AM

Thanks Chris! I'll look to fixing or replacing my current lap top with a used one and run the older OS. I made a Disk image from it, would I be able to boot with it in a later model MBP?

I may just look at upgrading camera and computer.

Christopher Young December 4th, 2018 07:46 AM

With regards to the MBP I would think so Peter but have no personal experience with that so will leave it up to others more knowledgeable in that area to advise.

Chris Young
Sydney

Derek Heeps February 16th, 2023 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Newsom (Post 1948099)
Hi,
My old Mac Book Pro(2007) is dying(video card) and taking with it my ability to pull files from the camera using FAM for FTP transferes. Since El Capitan came along I can't find drivers to support the camera, so a new MBP won't solve the problem.

The camera is still useful to me for shooting news, and I hate to replace it just yet.

Does anyone know if an f350 will still work with recent PC computers?

Any good solutions with alternate recording devices onboard the camera?

Thanks for any thoughts or help.

Peter Newsom
Ottawa, Canada

Hi , I know this is an old thread , but I just came onto the forum having bought a PDW-F350 and a PDW-F70 .

I'm familiar enough with both units because we've had them at work since new , but used prices have now dropped to the point that I could afford to buy one of each for myself .

Re using them with Macs - there are Mac drivers that recognise FAM mode . Both my Mac Pro and MBP date from around 2009 and run El Capitan as the highest supported OS . There is a Sony XDCAM driver for Mac v 6_3_0 which I just downloaded and installed . Sorry I can't remember where I downloaded it from , but I just did a Google search for XDCAM Mac drivers and there it was .

Anyway , with it installed , and putting the PDW-F70 into FAM mode , an inserted disc just mounts on my desktop , and I can copy the MXF files off it . I expect it will be exactly the same using the camera in FAM mode .

The MXF files don't ingest natively into my FCP7 , but I have a bit of software called Edit Ready which will convert them to .mov files and also butts clips together seamlessly , which suits me as I tend to record conferences etc where I just want a continuous record . Have previously been using my HVR V1e and JVC GY-HD251 , both with my Firestore FS-4HD recorders which with upgraded hard drives will record all day , but again need clips joined up .

Hope this is of some help .

I'll certainly be keeping the V1e for the foreseeable future , but might sell the JVC on , or give it to a friend's daughter who is a film student and learning video production ....