DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Sony XDCAM HD 1/2" Chips 720/24p/30p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/58125-sony-xdcam-hd-1-2-chips-720-24p-30p.html)

Douglas Call January 12th, 2006 10:09 AM

Sony XDCAM HD 1/2" Chips 720/24p/30p

Has anyone been tracking whats going on with the new Sony XDCAM HD PDW-F300. I found out it records on blue-ray discs and accepts 1/2" HD Glass like the new Fujinon. It appears to support 1080i/60, 720/24p/30p and also shoots in DVCAM format. But I think it uses Long GOP so editing/dropouts could be a real issue. They also have a 35Mb/s capture rate that sounds weird.

I talked with Thomson about the Infinity Camera and they said they are going to buy the market (offer this package for about $30K) by providing the 2/3" HD camera with HD 2/3" Lens (Fujinon HA18x7.6ERM) included and this camera does have frame accurate editing at 110Mb/s in what they call JPG2000 format (4:2:2). It also records in MPEG2 4:2:0 and in DV25.

It also records to Iomega Pro Rev disk. Which I'm not familiar with. I see the problem with the New Panasonic AG-HVX200 DVCPROHD is that it won't accept the great 2/3" lenses that have all the great HD & SD broadcast glass available from Canon & Fujinon.

Steve Connor January 12th, 2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Call
But I think it uses Long GOP so editing/dropouts could be a real issue.

No, it doesn't record to tape - so no dropouts (in theory)

Infinity will be great if NLE's support JPEG2000, if not then it may struggle.

Douglas Call January 12th, 2006 04:24 PM

No Drop-outs Sounds good, NLE with JPG2000?

That is the question. Will any NLE's support the JPG2000 format, I never even heard of it before. I use Premiere Pro and it only supports HDV & 24P with the latest updates. I don't even see DVCPRO HD in Premiere Pro yet.

Simon Wyndham January 12th, 2006 06:37 PM

Dropouts won't be an issue with the HD XDCAM by virtue of its recording medium.

I'm not sure about the 1/2" chips myself, but Sony US have a promo video on their site with footage from the camera. I hope to give it a test drive very soon.

Michael Maier January 12th, 2006 06:52 PM

I'm more interested in what the HD7000 will offer than on XDCAM HD or the Infinity. Chances are the HD7000 will be cheaper than both and it's a 2/3", not 1/2" like the Sony. That means B4 mount and possibilities for Digiprimes rental. I think it will do 1080i and maybe even 1080p besides 720p.

Matthew Greene January 12th, 2006 09:00 PM

I just want to make a couple clarifications:

Premiere supports many codecs and formats, from highly compressed codecs to numbered image sequences to DV to full uncompressed 1080P and beyond. Native editing of MPEG-2 based HDV is a relatively new feature but Premiere has supported uncompressed HD for a while. The confusion that it only supports DV & HDV is from the premade presets that appear when you open Premiere up, all you have to do is customize the project format settings to your needs and codec. It does not currently support native DVCPROHD, however, premiere can use just about any software codec installed on your system so if there were a DVCPROHD codec for .AVI installed on your system chances are that you can work with DVCPROHD in premiere.

Support for JPEG2000 should not be an issue for the above reason as well. Chances are that Grass Valley will release it with the camera.

Dropouts are a non issue with XDCAM, sure there's the potential for lost data, dirt or scratches on the disc but it's nearly impossible since the disc is sealed inside a cartridge and the system employs powerful error correction. Tests have also shown that the medium can withstand extreme amounts of vibrations while shooting without recording errors to the point that it's more reliable than tape in that sense.

Brian Luce January 12th, 2006 09:21 PM

so how much are these cameras expected to sell for?

Matthew Greene January 12th, 2006 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce
so how much are these cameras expected to sell for?

XDCAMHD? Sony is pricing the F330 camera at about $20K (list price). It uses 1/2" CCDs so it needs a 1/2" HD lens (not very common) but it also has the option of using 2/3" lenses (with an adaptor). The biggest question is how much are it's lenses going to go for, current 2/3" lenses cost more than that camera.

Well, I'm guessing here but if you look at:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...sp=19&id=75302

and then you look at

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...sp=19&id=75301

You can see that the lens they're offering on their only current 1/2" HD camera lists for $7000

So I'd guess a street price of $22000 - $25000 for a camera + basic lens package from a dealer such as B&H in NY.