XDCAM HD various topics - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #16
Trustee

XDCAM HD highlight clip

Just been looking more at the gamma curves for the XDCAM HD cameras. Although I stand by what I said in an earlier thread about obtaining more range from cameras, there does seem to be an exception in this case.

On the PDW-510 and 530 the STD gamma still has a smooth highlight roll-off. The FLM gamma curves make this roll off smoother and the output never reaches 100ire.

The STD gamma on the XDCAM HD however appears to have a very hard clip with hardly any highlight roll-off at all. This would explain why the Texas Shootout found that the highlights clipped so soon. As mentioned before the default knee point on the XDCAM HD is set to 100%.

The CINE gamma curves on the XDCAM HD however have a very smooth highlight roll-off. The shadow tones seem to be lowered somewhat, but the resultant flat picture would appear to gain more latitude. I was told by Sony that the Cine curves on the XDCAM HD are the same as those in the Version 2 software for the HDW-750. This may well be the case.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #17
Telecam Films

Simon,

I noticed the problem right away after I received a F350 and did the first test shots, but I think it can be addressed easily. They was no color saturation in picture hightlights, just white hallows. I went through the paint menu and noticed that the Knee saturation was set at .... zero. I cranked it to 150 and now, the knee circuitry is working properly and picture highlights stay nicely saturated. I hope our friends at the Texas HD shootout corrected the knee saturation on their test camera otherwise, the results are going to be ugly...

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:46 AM   #18
Trustee

Hey Thierry, good to see you here!

I would be careful of knee saturation as it can sometimes be overcooked. Usually I leave it set to default on the 510 because the True Eye processing usually works fine on its own. Did you notice whether the knee sat on the 350 could go into negative figures?

I'll check if it is okay to release the gamma curves of the cameras and put them up on my website.
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Interesting article about green/blue screen issues

From the Sony CineAlta site, a pdf reprint of from Film and Video mag...of issues with blue/green screen for ILM and StarWars (article by John Knoll). Done in laymans terms. Interesting issues with 1080p and 4:2:2 video.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...print_5-05.pdf
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM   #20
Major Player

Emergency help needed in Orange County, CA: Sony Camera Plate!

I sent my produucer out to California with my Sony DSR-500, and forgot to give him the camera plate!

The shoot is tomorrow (5/3) morning

So...need a Sony Camera Plate in Orange County, CA...if you have one please call

John @ 703.725.7027

Thanks

Matt G
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:50 PM   #21
Rextilleon

Call Promax in Irvine---they might have one they can rent to you.
Red #97
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:55 PM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Rex is right. ProMax is your answer.

Open at 8am, directions at http://www.promax.com/CustomerService/Directions.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Excellent link, thanks Joe. Especially enjoyed the section "Nine pieces of advice on shooting HD and HDCAM SR." Nice to meet you at NAB by the way,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Thanks, likewise. It's nice to finally have faces with the names.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #25
Regular Crew

J-H3 Deck & Timcode

Sorry to repost this stupid timecode issue but I think I have uncovered my problem with Vegas.

In capturing my HDCam 1080i tapes into my computer via firewire from the J-H3, the deck recognizes drop vs. non drop. If you all will remember, the 3 cam crew that shot my footage had 2 cams set to drop and 1 cam set to non drop.

I decided to invest another rental charge to recapture my footage. If you also remember, the first time I captured, I used a window burnof the timecode on the video for editing purposes. That's where all of the edl issues came into play. Anyway, I need to recapture so I can remove the window burn.

The deck has a setting on it to select drop vs. non drop. When I put the tape in, there is a clue on the display that auto recognizes which one. I then made the appropriate setting change and then captured. No one will believe this. When I rewound the tapes, some of them were non drop during the tone and bars and then magically changed to drop when shooting the footage. Obviously, I had better things to do during capture so after 2-3 tapes (of 40 total!) I only paid attention to the display at the beginning of the tape and then walked away. I know for a fact that this happened because I saw it on one of the last tapes captured.

My question is this. Does it even matter if the tapes are drop or non drop? Once the stream enters my computer, it is what it is. Frames don't continue to drop during the capture do they? Even if I tell the deck drop or non drop? Is that setting just for output (which the J-H3 can't do anyway?

I was ready to start my edit process all over again but don't weant to invest the time after all if this drop vs non drop issue will affect my edit.

I don't understand how these issues will affect me after the footage is on tape.

Can anyone explain?

Jeff MAck
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #26
Trustee

Jeff,
You may be lucky. The switch on the deck may not change anything on the firewire transfer. You definitely should check your transfers on the computer to see if the timecode matches compared to the tapes.
Usually the switches on the decks are for recording incoming signals not for changing the signal from firewire on playback. Of course you can't be sure unless you check. Sony has a support line which you can call them on questions by the way. Sony Posse (800-883-6817)
I don't know what Vegas does to allow you to see info about the clip and whether it makes a new clip when there is a timecode break. My old Media 100 used to warn me if there was a timecode problem on the clip. Not sure what other newer NLE's tell you about this issue.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #27
New Boot

XDCAM filmlook

I know I asked Simon this already but do any of you have (besides the sony demo footege) footege or could shoot a short clip with the XDCAM 24p filmlook?

I wont be going out to Promax for a few weeks to test the units in person and would love to see footege ahead of time

(footege trying to take advantage the cinealta, filmlike gamma settings.)

Thanks for the help.
-Mike
Mike Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:41 PM   #28
Rextilleon

Low Light Perfomance

Anybody have any experience with this camera and its low light performance? Is it comparable to a 1/2" DV Camera or is a bit less light sensitive? Also, anyone of you using the 330 or 350 to deliver nature oriented projects to Discovery or National Geographic----will they accept the format because it is of higher quality then typical HDV?
Red #97
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:44 AM   #29
Trustee

Low light performance is rated at f9@2000 lux.

Discovery HD has recently decided to accept XDCAM HD as an unrestricted delivery and shooting format (ie you can shoot a whole programme on it) as long as the 35mb/s recording mode is used. I'm not sure if this is in their official guidelines yet, but I had this information direct from one of the top Sony guys over here. This was supposed to have been announced at NAB, but maybe it got lost in the noise?
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #30
Trustee

PDZ-1, new article

I've just placed a new article about PDZ-1 up on my website at http://www.simonwyndham.co.uk/PDZ1.htm

I'll be expanding on the functions of this underrated piece of software over the next few days. THis may be of limited use to XDCAM HD owners until the NLE makers catchup. But for SD XDCAM users they can use the functions right now, while XDCAM HD owners can get an idea of what they will be able to do soon.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts