First look at Sony XDCAM HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 12th, 2006, 09:52 AM   #1
Wrangler

First look at Sony XDCAM HD

Interesting video interview with Bob Ott of Sony on the new XDCAM HD cameras.
* needs Flash 8 Player
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Trustee

Yep, it is an interesting interview. I'm not sure I buy the reasons for 1/2" ccd's though" Surely it is harder to make 1/2" ccd's than 2/3" ones? The paradox of video cameras?

Had a play with one the other day though. I liked it, although I'm waiting to be able to test one out in anger as some have told me that it isn't full res progressive scan. And since one of them is Graeme I have to take it pretty seriously!

The more feedback I hear about the cameras, as well as post production troubles, the more I feel that high def is still a beta technology. Very nice, but you have to put up with a few hinderances to get it to work for you.

In fact I think that SD has only reached its pinnacle in the last year or two.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Progressive modes half res? Is Greame sure about this? That would be a horrible mistake by sony, considering the cost of these new camera's. Who the heck would buy this offering if while shooting in 1080 24p 0r 30p it only resolves 540. I was really hoping that this XDCAM-HD offering from sony was going to be awesome and the become that middle of the road HD camera...better than sub $10,000 HD and not quite as good as the over $50,000 HD. But if it's only doing half res on progressive recording, then forget it.
Old February 12th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Trustee

Well, I'm hoping that the info is wrong too. But Graeme is not the only person to have said this to me after seeing the camera.

It does puzzle me somewhat though because on all the Sony literature about, at least the 350, it states "true 24p, 23.98p, 25p, 30p" etc. Note the word "true" that they use.

So I am rather puzzled, expecially considering the price of the cameras. I am hoping to get my hands on one myself very soon, so I will be putting this under very close scrutiny.
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #5
Major Player

The Rep at Video Forum claimed that it WAS full rez, not sure if I trust him though.

Demo footage certainly looked full rez on an HD monitor.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #6
Trustee

The reps at Video Forum didn't really know their stuff apart from the product manager who was around doing talks.

At one point my colleague and I had to correct and impart information to a guy asking about the system that the rep didn't know the answers to! From the looks of it the guy seems set on getting one. I think Sony owes me a commission!! ;)
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
The reps at Video Forum didn't really know their stuff apart from the product manager who was around doing talks.

At one point my colleague and I had to correct and impart information to a guy asking about the system that the rep didn't know the answers to! From the looks of it the guy seems set on getting one. I think Sony owes me a commission!! ;)
I didn't make the Video Forum this year - have Sony released any UK prices for the 330 yet?
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #8
Trustee

The Sonybiz site has the 330 down for 19k Euros including lens. Now whether they will make the price Pound for Euro I don't know. It would be fantastic news if they weren't as that would make the 330 very affordable indeed.

Simon
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #9
Major Player

If your thinking of the 330, allow extra money for the larger viewfinder, the 1" one on the 330 is pretty grim.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:47 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I got an update from "someone in the know" who said it may be about UKP 13k with lens but had some concerns over the longevity of the format - his advice was to wait a while to see the takeup of XDCAM before committing...
Old February 19th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm waiting to see what sky are going to choose as there run of the mill shooting format. I know they have been equiping studios with SR, but would expect a cheaper general purpose format for HD news and sports. As they have very close ties with Sony and a big investment in Sony kit my guess is that they may adopt XDCAM HD.

Off topic I notice that the Sky EPG listing now include National Geographic HD!!
Old February 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #12
Trustee

Graham, its a bit odd that someone would say to wait and see what the takeup of XDCAM will be. The format is already very popular and quite widespread. Sky already use SD XDCAM. Remember that there is also a 2/3" XDCAM HD on the way too.

Since Sky already use XDCAM and have the infrastructure in place it wouldn't surprise me if they upgraded to XDCAM HD.

Incidentally Alister, good to see you here! I hadn't noticed you before on these forums. But I like your company website.
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:14 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Since Sky already use XDCAM and have the infrastructure in place it wouldn't surprise me if they upgraded to XDCAM HD.
The last I'd heard was that Sky had only bought a limited number of XDCAM units - partially because SX units are no longer available, and partially to trial XDCAM. I don't know what the results of their trial are, but AFAIK Sky still predominantly use SX in the UK.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Graham, its a bit odd that someone would say to wait and see what the takeup of XDCAM will be. The format is already very popular and quite widespread. Sky already use SD XDCAM. Remember that there is also a 2/3" XDCAM HD on the way too.

Incidentally Alister, good to see you here! I hadn't noticed you before on these forums. But I like your company website.
Hi Simon
Yeah - I thought it was strange as well - I was up for buying one! I think he's concerned that it may go the way of Betacam SX. He was suggesteing that P2 is going to be the format of choice, but how long will it be before you can do 2 hours on a P2!!
Anyhow, I love your work on the website... Are you going to upgrade to XDCAM HD?
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #15
Major Player

80 Minutes on HD on P2 cards (16GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Risdon
He was suggesteing that P2 is going to be the format of choice, but how long will it be before you can do 2 hours on a P2!!
You'll get 40 minutes on the newly announced Panasonic HD camera (AJ-HPC2000) this camera accepts five (5) P2 cards. That's with five (5) 8GB P2 cards installed but I read that the 16GB P2 cards will be announced at NAB 2006 so it looks like you'll get 80 minutes record time on the new P2 HD camera when its released!
Douglas Call is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts