XD or H1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 16th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #1
New Boot

XD or H1

i'll cut the loooong story very short :

we are shooting a feature film (got funding!) on a digital format which will be printed on to 35mm, but we can not choose which one to shoot it with :
XD
H1

shallow depth is critical..
Can someone compare and contrast these two beatiful cameras ?

thank you ,
aydin ozer
Aydin Ozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #2
Wrangler

I suggest going with the extra money for the Sony XDCAM HD 350. Unlike the 330, the 350 gives you variable frame rates for over/undercranking. The larger CCDS (1/2 vs. 1/3 of the H1) will assist with shallow DOF.

You should weigh that against the cost of buying an H1 and renting a mini-35 adapter with 35mm prime lenses that will definitely give you your shallow DOF.

If you plan to go film out, find a way to capture via HD-SDI.

Just my thoughts.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

XD vs H1

We have not received our PDW-F350 yet (Sony says the end of this month) but we did test our Sony HDC-X300 (which has the same 1/2" CCD) versus our H1. The Sony had better lattitude (7 stops versus 9 stops), less vertical smear, and more control over depth of field. The Canon had the same or even slightly better resolution, but we need to test that again with the F350, since I think the limit was the lens we were using.

The biggest difference is the HDSDI output. The Canon is true 4:2:2. The Sony image processing only captures 4:2:0 (which is what is recorded on the disc) and then generates the HDSDI output from that. We had much better results with chroma keying and wire removal using the Canon. If you are doing lots of FX work I would test both carefully before deciding. This assumes you are capturing from the SDI output.

If you are using the internal tape deck of the H1 versus the optical disc of the XDCAM then both are 4:2:0 and the XDCAM will be better because of the higher data rate (less compression).

Good luck.
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Major Player

If DOF is very important then an H1 with 35mm adapter may be a good call. It will reduce resolution though.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5
New Boot

why?

Why H1 with 35mm adapter than XD ?
(especially with the resolution reduction)

-crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage
If DOF is very important then an H1 with 35mm adapter may be a good call. It will reduce resolution though.
Aydin Ozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydin Ozer
Why H1 with 35mm adapter than XD ?
(especially with the resolution reduction)

-crash
Because it will give you a narrow DOF. I am not sure if you can use a DOF adapter on an XDCAMHD camera as they are 1/2" and I think the Pro35 is 2/3" only. I may be wrong.

I am in a similar boat to you and I am thinking of renting a HDCAM and Pro35. I'll have to see what deals are possible though.

If resolution is more important to you, then a DOF adapter probably isn't the best option as it will soften the image. Instead spend the money on a decent lens.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Go with the 350. If you go with the H1, the DOF adapter plus smaller 1/2" CCDs will also make you have to increase lighting, which means more heat and sweaty talent. Sweaty talent means more makeup. More makeup shows up "better" on HD.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #8
New Boot

if it is possible to equip prime lenses to 350 without the need of pro35 (p+s) i definetelly am planning on the sony.. in that case i cant see why would i go with h1.
is it possible to equip 350 with primes ?
how ? how much ?

i do appriciate the replies ,
you guys are the greatest ,
thank you
crash
Aydin Ozer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts