Sony XDCAM HD -- various topics - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 16th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Looking for an HD XDCAM Crew In Tokyo

Anyone operate an HD XDCAM 350L or 330L in Japan, Tokyo?
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:52 AM   #17
Regular Crew

FCP Ingest Indigestion aka Capture Rapture NOT!

Can anyone relate to what I'm saying here? :-)

Here's the deal.
Project is open.
I need a clip from the XDCAM disc that's in the camera, firewired to the Mac.

I do a File>Import>XDCAM (which is supposed to import directly into my project).
Much to my surprise, I actually sometimes get TWO copies of what I have selected....is one video and the other audio? (This hasn't hapened before BTW. Just today).
Or I get none at all.

And twice today, XDCAM Transfer software and/or FCP spat the dummy.

Thank God it's Thanksgiving......

Michael.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:10 AM   #18
Wrangler

I had that problem for a while. It seems to have gone away with the newest versions of FCP and the Transfer software.

Update FCP to 5.1.2, and the Xfer to 1.1, and get back to us.
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:04 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Images and clips

Hi,
I just posted in my web page some pictures and edited clips. And some original clips in MXF format.
Sorry, but the page is in portuguese.

www.lumiere.com.br/hd

Gérson
Gerson Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Firmware Help please

Have followed instructions for installing firmware in F350 but there is a suggestion at the end of the process that if the camera was at Package Version 1,06 or lower then there is more to do...and ours was at 1.06 when we started the process.

Did a clip and paste so hope you more experienced folk can help out...the point being that I have no idea where to find the dip switch they refer to....

"11. If your camcorder was at Package version 1.06 or lower when you started this process you may have to upgrade one more software item, proceed to the next step.

12. You will need to power off the camcorder and remove the memory stick before opening the left side panel (one that contains the LCD display). The camcorder will need the “Service” menu enabled. This is done by setting section 1 of dip switch S501 of the DCP-37 card to the ON position. Then close the side panel. This information is also found in the service manual at the beginning of section 4.

13. Power On the Camcorder and Turn on the menu while holding the rotary encoder button depressed. You will see a new menu “Service” located at the bottom of this page. Select service menu and use the rotary encoder know to select menu S02 ROM VERSION 1. Insert your memory stick with the software upgrades. Wait till the camcorder has finished the memory stick read.

14. Press and hold the Rotary Encoder button depressed for about 10 seconds or until the memory stick software versions appear to the right of the camcorder software versions and an arrow appears in the left hand margin. Use the rotary encoder knob to move the arrow to be pointing at the software that may be different version than what is currently in your camcorder (FRESH). Once pointing at this software package depress the rotary encoder and then answer the question that will appear. To upgrade this software you will need to select YES. This will begin the software upgrade process. Do not remove power or do anything else until this process is completed, The display will display “DONE”. This update of software takes about 6 minutes. Turn the power off and then back on. Go back into menu S02 ROM VERSION 1 and verify the following software versions are as follows:
AT :1.50
Package :1.56
Fresh :1.05

15. Power OFF the camcorder and remove the memory stick. Now, set the Service dip switch back to the OFF position. Section 1 of S501 on the DCP-37 card."

Many thanks.

Micvhael Knight
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Knight
You will need to power off the camcorder and remove the memory stick before opening the left side panel (one that contains the LCD display). The camcorder will need the “Service” menu enabled. This is done by setting section 1 of dip switch S501 of the DCP-37 card to the ON position. Then close the side panel.
Michael, you DO NOT have to remove the side cover. That was some unnecessary information that got posted earlier here at DVINFO.

I will personally walk you through this process if you wish. Click my name at left to send email. I will arrange to contact you that way.

Or, refer to http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....46&postcount=9 which is where I posted the correct procedure.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #22
Regular Crew

DVCAM Mode and Audio

I know in DVCAM mode we're locked into using 4 Ch Audio. Can I save any Disc space(recording time) if I need only two Chs and set let's say Ch 3 & 4 input switches to "Back" or "Wireless" that has nothing imput?

Thanks
Richard
Richard Lesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #23
Tourist

HD Camcorder of the Year

http://www.coax.tv/

But we already knew this......
Bill Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks for the post!

Rich
Richard Lesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #25
Major Player

any XDCAM HD users from germany

Hi,

looking for contact to some users in germany - I am located near Dortmund, would be a great thing to meet some of you.

I am torn between "semipro" JVC GY-HD200 - I like the form factor and do a lot weddings (mostly SD yet) , so I´d see the hd200 as the "first step" into HD.

THOUGH I like the f330/350 much better but see the size disadvantage filming weddings in smaller rooms (wedding business is a bit different from U.S.).
On the other hand XDCAM HD seems to be the more professional media that could open some doors to other businesses - as I said - I am torn between the two - like to purchase both, but thats definetly not within my budget...

Any tips or arguments welcome!

Regards

uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #26
2nd Unit TV

With all due respect to JVC, the cameras and their operators are in completely different leagues as you might imagine by the pricetag. We've used both, the JVC for an entire 6-months when they first came out to prove that network-quality shows can be produced with sub $10 cameras and have shown the JVC to be an extremely competent camera. It's characteriristics however are still that of a sub $10k camera. If you're just moving into HD, it's an excellent starting point to begin understandiing the marked differences between the two worlds; SD and HD. Your "eye" needs to be completely different when setting and shooting scenes looking for things that would pass the SD test but fail miserably in HD conditions. Further, the move from SD to HD typically iinvolves the move from 4:3 to 16:9 and composing to 16:9 is completely, wholly and absolutely different. Lenses also change dramatically when you move from the 1/3" into the 1/2" - 2/3" atmosphere and thus you can and must ask more of your shot composition. When we proved the 1/3" chip camera competent, it was on a specific broadcast, sporting event that was extremely fast-paced and virtually non-stop. Thus, a fast lens with deep, deep depth of field was all that was required. Shooting to a 300X150 arena with 7 cameras, autofocus, something you almost never see on a stage, was a must in combination with that deep DOF. With productions like features, pilots and series, more is expected and thus more is required of the equipment and the operator. DOF is shallow and thus the focus is constantly on the move, especially with alot of character movement. Finally, the selection of the Sony is as much for work-flow, scene/show management and cost savings as any other feature. We are shooting a pilot right now that, because of the in-camera capabilities like variable frame rate, effects like frame accumulation and pefhaps most significantly, proxy editing, disk system archiving and complete compatibility with FCP via direct camera-to-computer editing. In fact, we have certified a 40% cost savings in production costs. I've only known people who make their living shooting weddings having never done them myself but while the quality of production in these venues is important to the couple, everyone has said the same thing when considering a move to a more experienced camera; the demands of wedding photography don't aproach professional stage production and thus the charge per day breakout doesn't either so recovering the cost of a camera that approaches $50k when you have everything you will typically need simply doesn't pencil out. If, on the other hand, you're considering a serious move into production and more high-end work, the Sony is an unbelievably excellent choice. We've put it through it's paces end-to-end and have found zero to complain about. So, if it were me, I'd say if you're serious about you craft and are treating it as a professional decision to be a life-long pursuit of cinematography and not simply reality shooting and the occasional, personal "short film", there's simply no other camera out there that will teach you more or take you further than the 350. If on the other hand you're uncertain as to the viability of your love of making movies turning into a profession soon, then I'd say go for the lower priced JVC and start seeing what the HD world of composition is all about. All four leading sub-$10k cameras are very good. We selected the JVC for very specific reasons not the least of which was the need for interchangable lenses but the current small offering from Sony and the next generation due out either this month or next also yields great results and is a wonderful teacher.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #27
Wrangler

F350 Rental in Florida?

A friend of mine is thinking about shooting XDCAM HD in Tampa in a little bit.

Anybody know any rental houses in Florida that have a 350?
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Vegas 7 and Decklink / Multibridge Pro

Hello XDCAMers,

Does Vegas 7 + multibridge Pro can work together?
i read their knowledgebase, says decklink can work only with vegas 6.0c? also only with driver 4.8.1? while latest driver is version 5.9...and vegas is already ver 7...

Also if i use Vegas 7 without decklink, how can i monitor the timeline? Can it only be using a dual head DVI card? Can it preview monitor in HD res or only SD?

How to monitor using vegas in HD res, basically.

thanks,
hornady.
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:14 AM   #29
Major Player

30p vs 30p (?)

I remember a lot of "judder" discussions when the first HD100s hit the market. With HD200 (60p) those discussions became more and more quiet.

With pdw-f330 and f350 the main way to work with is 1080 60i (no judder on interlaced screens) and 25p PAL or 30p.

QUESTION: I never encountered "judder discussions" regarding XDCAM HD - though the judder must be the same due to the nature of 25 or 30 f progressive.

What are your experiences?

I do a lot of wedding video so I like the HD100 form factor and weight.

At the moment I am still distributing my work in SD.

So FOR NOW my question is:
HD200 + Wide Angle Lens (TH13x3.5) = ~15.000€

pdw-f330 + SD Wide Lens (Fujinon) is not very much more.

As long as I am stuck with SD , f330 seems to be the better option.

On the other hand Slomotion is one of THE creative techniques for wedding video - 60p seems to be better for that...

What about 1080i (interlaced) to be interpolated for slomo?

Its all about quality vs. weight vs. future use etc tec.

Anyway, I will be on tour (GERMANY) with Sony in February, I will show the workflow of XDCAM HD within Sony Vegas as their representer, therefore putting hands on an f330/350 also...

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM   #30
New Boot

XDCAM and XDCAM HD

hi , i have a question that hunt my nights .
is it possible to read a XDCAM disk written in SD mode with a F330 or F350
on a PDW-V1 XDCAM SD reader ?
thanks for your help .
Herve Chava is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts