Sony XDCAM HD -- various topics - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 20th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #46
Major Player

Why would you move from Media Composer to FCP?
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Troubles with Firewire Line Protector "Kramer PT 1 FW"

Hello,

does anyone of you guys use the "Kramer PT 1 FW". The PT-1FW is a line protector for FireWire signals. I bought one and tested it out for the first time today. Usually (direct input via firewire/FAM) everything works just fine, but as soon as I plug this thing in, my computer won´t let my XDCAM F-350 be recognized correctly on my PC. As soon as I unplug the Kramer PT1 and plug the firewire in directly, everything´s fine again. I was just wondering, whether anybody of you had similar troubles with this unit.

Thanks,
Emanuel
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:33 AM   #48
New Boot

F900 banding?

I've got an F900 sitting next to me,with a zeiss 4-20 digi zoom, running HD SDI out of a miranda DVC-800, into the SDI port of a Panasonic HD monitor, all are running off AC power. When an object is placed in the foreground, and out of focus, even slightly, two things are happening:

banding; arguably subtle, but there nonetheless,

and a slight color shift at the edges, particularly in black or white, akin to chromatic aberration?

Both effects get worse the farther out of focus the object is thrown, but even slightly out of focus this looks awful.

Anybody have any ideas?
Laura Beth Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:05 PM   #49
Trustee

Guess, is that it's your white shading, go into maintenance menu page 1 and adujst your white shading (and black shading) and you should be able to get rid of your chromatic abberation. The other thign to check is your back focus. Zoom in on something focus, back out and then adjust the back focus, let me know if this solves anything.

(p.s. techincally this isn't AFFORDABLE 3 chip high definition) ;)
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Please coach me

Last night I was doing a test about interval recording with my F350
My settings were HD SP/30p.

I have FCP 5.0, iMac dual core 2GB ram 250GB HD and 256MB video ram

In PC I have Adobe Premiere 1.5 dual core 2GB ram 400GB HD, 512 Video Ram

I want to download those files into my editng system and do some basic editing.

Can you tell my best workflow and software settings in any of the above machines to do my job.

Thanks in advance.

William Osorio

Last edited by William Osorio; March 4th, 2007 at 10:06 PM.
William Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #51
Regular Crew

First update to FCP 5.1.4, get XDCAM Transfer 1.1 (for free at Sony), then follow this link:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...whitepaper.pdf

Its in there.
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #52
New Boot

Fujinon XS17x5.5 and HSS18x5.5

Hi to all of You!

Does anyone have experiences with both Fujinon lenses? The XS17 costs about 7.000 EUR and the HSS18x5.5 about 12.000 EUR in Germany. Both do not have an extender. Today a made some trial shots with the HSS18x5.5, but I do not know anyone who has a XS17x5.5.

Are there optical differences or is the only difference the zoom factor?

Matthias
Matthias Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #53
Wrangler

There are optical differences according to my local Fujinon tech. The HSs series lenses are the premium quality hand picked glass. The XS series OTOH, are not. He told me it's possible you can get an XS series lens that will be as good optically as the HSs series, but it would be a random luck of the draw. This is why the price of the HSs lenses are higher.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #54
Trustee

i have the same problem. It is very annoying. I bought it to protect my camera/ computer from dodgy firewire power surges but it is useless!
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #55
Major Player

Fiwi DV Out ->HD Files

Hi everybody,

I am wondering if this workflow could work:

Filming HD 35MBits Footage

Capturing "DV" via Firewire Out (NOT FAM mode) - with ?!? Software

Editing SD - as you are used to...

IF the customer asks for HD - throw in the Discs and replace captured footage by HD files.

?

The idea behind is: At the moment most projects are SD. If shot in HD , the NLE spends quite some time converting to SD - so why not using the "old capture method" for directly working with correct DV files.

The question is if there is any software out there able to replace the DV captured files with the correc MXFs...

?

I know... this is very specific, but I am just curious..

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #56
Wrangler

You can do that. I have done it. However, recapturing the HD files to replace the SD might be a bit tricky. Depends on what software you use. But I pretty much capture everything in HD 35 cause I know I can come out the FW port in AV/C mode, even cropping to 4:3 in camera as it comes out if necessary. The only downside is that what comes out in this manner is DVCAM 25 4:1:1.

You're almost better off shooting in HD, import using FAM, then you can downconvert to SD using better codecs than DV25. That would also help maintain higher picture quality for an SD DVD output.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Display Clip Number

I read the manual and cannot find a way to display the Number of the clip being recorded on the field monitor.
I think it would be much easier to write down the clip number instead of the timecode to mark out the good takes.
It would also be easier for the editor to find the right material if we would give him Clip numbers instead of timecode as he accesses the camera via FAM mode and sees the clips as numbered files.
Anyone knows a trick that I haven't learned?
Daniel Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #58
Regular Crew

I think you are able to see the clip name on the camera LCD only not in the field monitor.
William Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #59
2nd Unit TV

Low Light 350 Definitely NOT a Problem

Never mind. The people on this site are...well let's just say point well made by them. The 350 is an excellent low-light camera given an understanding of light, lens and camera.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Heavy Vibration from the F350

One thing I've noticed in the demo F350 that I'm using is vibration, especially through the tripod handle. It is actually severe and distracting. I can physically hear in from the camera as well. Is this normal? Makes me wonder if it will show in the pictures.

I notice it most when there are clips have been yet to be recorded(freshly formatted disk). Is it hunting for a clip? On my shoulder, I don't really notice it.
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts