Sony XDCAM HD -- various topics - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old September 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #106
Major Player

new sony cam...

Any thoughts on this new cam?
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/1683...-hd-camcorder/
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #107
Wrangler

Plenty...

Dean, with all due respect, you're a bit late to the party. You'll find plenty of thoughts and discussion in the XDCAM EX forum.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=150

Please direct all reading and inquiries over there.

Thanks,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #108
Trustee

I've had no luck with "consumer" HD formats yet... in presentations, I have used a mac outputting an HD quicktime, but have yet to successfully put out an HD-DVD (which DVD Studio Pro can do).

As for the winner of the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war, I predict the internet (and torrents, with their lower bitrate, and lower file-size), much like CDs trumped MiniDiscs (which were recordable, and sounded better) and DVDs trumped laserdiscs. The masses would prefer convenience, rather than quality. Disagree? Search google for a little startup called "YouTube".
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #109
Major Player

New XDCAM HD Family brochure

Here is the new XDCAM HD Family brochure.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #110
Major Player

Preliminary PDW-700 & PDW-HD1500 Brochure

Here is the preliminary brochure from the XDCAM HD422 camcorder PDW-700 and deck PDW-HD1500.

Preliminary brochure PDW-700 & PDW-HD1500
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #111
New Boot

SRW 3D Mode

I know that on the SRW-1 (and I'm assuming the SRW-5800 will be able to also.) you can use the 3D mode to record two video inputs to one tape. Now is that 4:2:2 signal coming from a 2:2:2 signal (so the first channel gets combined) or is it truely two individual 4:2:2 signals? Since it's called 3D mode, I figured that might use the two cameras to come up with the luminance for both (since shooting 3D they'd be right next to each other).
So two inputs would each record 2:2:2 and then the luminance channel would be combined to form two 4:2:2 channels.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at running 2 F900s to one SRW-1 or SRW5800; Cutting down the amount of stock we need.

(I already know 2 channels gets you recording at 880Mbps).
Andrew Mcarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #112
Wrangler

As I understand it, it's a true 2-channel system suitable for use as you describe.
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #113
Regular Crew

Zeiss Sharp Max

Anyone have a good outlet for purchasing one? Anyone have a more affordable/comparable alternative for taking the guesswork out of back focus?
Dan Brazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #114
Regular Crew

Dan,

Maybe these PDF's help you out. Print them and use them as a target for backfocus adjustment.

http://home.planet.nl/%7evanur006/vi...cus%20card.pdf
http://home.planet.nl/%7evanur006/vi...ity%20card.pdf
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #115
Tourist

Sony XD HD cam

If I will be shooting on this camera - the Sony XD HD 350 and then transfering to 35mm film, what's the best setting to put the camera at? 23.94 p? And when I put the camera to this does it automatically put the camera into 1080p and 16:9?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing the reply.
Geoff Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #116
Regular Crew

1080/25p vs 1080/50i for down converting to SD

Has anyone compared the SD down converted results of shooting in 1080/25p vs 1080/50i.

I am shooting a music video with a brand new F350, destined for SD broadcast (DVCam tape submission) as well as possible future DVD release.

My plan is to shoot in 1080/25p (1/50 shutter, cine gamma 2), edit natively and then down convert in Final Cut Studio to SD.

Past posts seem to indicate that 1080/25p is the best way to go for DVD delivery, but how does it fare when down converted to SD.

I am also unsure if it makes any difference down converting the final XDCam HD edit to some other SD format like DVCPro50 rather thn Pal DV, if I'm going to export to tape via firewire to a HVR-M25 deck in DVCam mode.

Lastly, will exporting via HDMI (Blackmagic Intensity) to the HVR-M25 s opposed to firewire make any difference?
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #117
New Boot

import stereo audio from transfer program to fcp

I have not used the transfer program a whole lot with the XD Cam. I mainly digitize thru a Kona card in HDSDI. In using the transfer program, my originally shot stereo audio comes into fcp as 2 mono tracks. Has anyone had any luck importing in stereo? And if so, which setting am I missing?
Jay Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #118
Major Player

its just the way the XDCAM Transfer application handles audio (as discrete mono tracks)

fwiw the data has not been changed any; whether the audio pairs are handled as dual mono or stereo is just an information flag

just select the 2 mono tracks in the timeline and choose Modify > Stereo Pair from the menu, thereafter those tracks will be treated as a stereo pair
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #119
Tourist

XDcamHD shooter in Chicago?

Looking for experienced XDcamHD shooter in Chicago area to shoot a single interview. Anyone have any leads?

Thanks,

Mike Murray
Media Production Group
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH
R. Michael Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM   #120
Regular Crew

Is anyone planning to use an AJA Io-HD....

...in a system along with your XDCAM gear? In this difficult change-over time between SD and HD, we will actually have three active formats in our shop; BetacamSP, HDV, and XDCAM-HD. We plan on using the Io-HD to hook up the Beta and HDV. But in order to take advantage of XDCAM's file transfer features, we plan to connect to the computer via the iLink/Firewire cable. Isn't this a Firewire 400 cable?

Additionally, the AJA Io-HD also connects to the computer via a Firewire 800 cable. For those using AJA Io-HD and XDCAM-HD, how are you connecting things together? Are you using the same Firewire bus, for both the XDCAM and the Io-HD? Or have you purchased a PCI Firewire card for one of these connections?
Tim Allison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts