DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Sony XDCAM HD -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/64980-sony-xdcam-hd-various-topics.html)

Thomas Smet April 13th, 2006 08:04 AM

Sony XDCAM HD -- various topics

Does anybody have any of the specs on the compression levels of XDCAM HD?

I know there is 18mb, 25mb and 35 mb and that 18 and 35 are variable bitrate. What other details are there including level and profile, is 35 the max or average, is 18 the max or average, 1440 or 1920, GOP structure and finally what makes the MXF file different from SD XDCAM.

Thanks guys.

Michael Devlin April 13th, 2006 08:51 AM

The best source of info on XDCAM is of course the Sony site.
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...ot/index.shtml

The XDCAM HD brochure on that site has some info. They say it is "MPEG HD" codec, based on "MPEG-2 MP@HL" sampling rate of 4:2:0 with spacial resolution of 1440x1080, with four channels of 16-bit 48kHz audio.

Chris Hurd April 14th, 2006 11:25 PM

Sony CVP FileEditor Curves

"For those using Sony's F900 or F950 HD cameras there is a program available to allow the generation of user defined profile curves, enabling the camera to be set to capture images in a more 'filmic' way."

http://www.digitalpraxis.net/dpsonycurves.html

Simon Wyndham April 15th, 2006 05:04 PM

Actually those cine curves are very similar to the 4 cine curves built into the PDW-3xxx cameras. The STD gamma in them looks to be the ITU-709 curve that was shown in that link.

I've looked closer at the gamma curves built into the new XDCAM HD cameras. It seems that some of the gamma curves go up to 110%. Cine 2 stays below 100.

Quite interesting really. I'd love to see how these compare with the filmlike curves of the Panny cameras.

Alister Chapman August 22nd, 2006 12:36 PM

XDCAM file transfer to camera. File naming.

OK I spent ages scratching my head trying to work out why I could not copy HD XDCAM files back to my camera. I was assured that it would work but I could not get anything to work. Anyway it's really simple BUT you must name the files correctly. The first file on the disc must be C0001.MXF which must be in capitals!! Each file should be sequentially numbered. I belive there is a limit of around 250 clips on a disk. To copy a compatible MXF from your computer to a deck you must have the PDZ1 software and drivers installed. Plug in the camera/deck and simply drag your files from the hard drive to the XDCAM disc icon, no need to open the disk or select the clips folder, just drag and drop to the icon. The decks automaticaly create a proxy for each file you copy onto the disk.. cool!

Simon Wyndham August 22nd, 2006 06:47 PM

Yep. It is amazing how quickly the camera or deck can create those proxy files automatically.

Yet more goodness is to come however :-)

Matthew Ernest Adams October 18th, 2006 07:37 PM

Gamma settings or custom?

I see mentions of using the FILM gamma pre-sets and was wondering about how a custom set-up (paint my own USER file) is affected by the gamma presets?

It looks to me that if you have painted the camera yourself and then choose one of the preset gamma matrices, it doesn't use the USER file as a gauge, it just changes everything in the paint files and leaves the viewfinder, assignables and everything not "look" related the same ... could be wrong, I don't have an HD scope, just SD.

I find I can set my knee and gamma to produce a more dynamic image than any of the FILM matrices. I was told those matrices were just reproductions of different film stock and not really "prime" setups for the 350 or 330.

Andy Walton October 20th, 2006 11:04 AM

1/2 to B4 adaptor

Anyone who needs an adaptor may want to speak to Mike Tapa (ex optex), he is making an adaptor for me for £235 plus vat, its being made from the original optex design. it will take 2-3 weeks but he is planning to have a couple extra made up for stock. I have no financial benefit from any orders arising from this thread

http://www.mtfservices.com/index.html is his website

Andy

Bill Weaver October 21st, 2006 09:27 AM

Settings question

Do detail, master gamma, etc have any affect on the 330, 350 if you have selected one on the gamma presets?

Simon Wyndham October 21st, 2006 10:16 AM

Yes they do.

Rob Stiff October 27th, 2006 10:40 PM

Proxie Clips Edit To Full HD Video In FCP

Has anyone with success done quick proxie file downloads,
edited in Final Cut then by that EDL downloaded the parts of
the needed HD clips without having to dowload the entire
Disc's HD Footage?

I am having some trouble putting it all together...?

Again, the goal is:
1) Download the proxies to the Apple running FCP.
2) Edit the proxies (multicam edits).
3) Take my editing timeline and be able to capture
parts of the clips from the XDCAM Disc(s) that contains
the related HD video.
4) Have a newtimeline in FCP with a matching edit in HD
same as my low res proxie edited timeline.

Nate Weaver October 28th, 2006 08:47 AM

I've played with it. Here's the issues:

1-FC doesn't like the audio format of the proxys AT ALL. It doesn't like the audio codec, which is an odd A-law 8bit 32khz (if a remember right, I'm prob off), nor does it like the channel config, which is 4 stereo channels.

It's the audio channels that keep FCP from playing the clips at all. If you remove the last 3 stereo channels in Quicktime Pro, you can get the clips to play in FCP in the viewer at least.

2-Video codec is MPEG4, which FCP doesn't deal with so well either. Making a timeline of MPEG 4 with identical pixel dimensions and framerate doesn't work for some reason without rendering, I'm guessing because there's a few flavors of MPEG4.

Somebody on another board suggested doing the audio fix, then editing in a Offline RT HD preset timeline. You get orange renderbars, but at least the framerate is full and you can cut.

With the new transfer software, you can right click on clip icon and "Save Proxy to Quicktime movie"...all it does is take your proxy and save it to desktop with the clip name, which is important. I just ran Compressor on it to make it Offline RT HD, and while it takes time, of course it works.

You could even automate the process by making the folder you dump the proxys to a watch folder, and everything that goes into it would be converted in the BG.

Andy Walton November 2nd, 2006 03:55 AM

Edius Broadcast supports XDCAM HD

The new 4.1 upgrade to Edius broadcast has been released and fully supports XDCAM HD inc all data rates and proxy editing. I have beta tested for the last month (limited time by the amount of location work I've been doing) and all seems very stable and smooth

Andy

Thierry Humeau November 6th, 2006 04:03 PM

Outputing 1080 23.98 via HD-SDI on a F350

Today, I had to dub via HD-SDI a XDCAM HD disc shot in 1080p 23.98. I used a F350 as a player and a F70 as recorder. I wanted the recorded disc to also be recorded at 23.98 but the camera seem to only want to send 1080i 59.94 (23.98 w/pulldown) through its HD-SDI output.

I did not find any setting to change that, it seems like pulldown (PD) is added by default on everything shot at 23.98 and sent to the camera's SD-HDI output.

I could not clone the disc using the PDZ-1 in FAM mode because I needed to change the TC on the dub. For some reason, the TC was reset 6 times on the shot disc and I needed the dub to have continous TC.

Am I missing something?

Thierry.

Gerson Becker November 7th, 2006 07:48 AM

Vegas and Decklink

Hi guys,
Does anyone using Vegas 7 with DeckLink HD Extreme or DeckLink HD Pro 4:4:4 PCIe and importing MXF files?
Are you capable to see the image through the component HD output, in native resolution?
Looking for a board solution to edit and see in realtime in a big LCD monitor.
But without the no compressed related problems, like huge storage.
Thanks.

Gérson

Rob Stiff November 16th, 2006 09:04 PM

Looking for an HD XDCAM Crew In Tokyo

Anyone operate an HD XDCAM 350L or 330L in Japan, Tokyo?

Michael Knight November 22nd, 2006 01:52 AM

FCP Ingest Indigestion aka Capture Rapture NOT!

Can anyone relate to what I'm saying here? :-)

Here's the deal.
Project is open.
I need a clip from the XDCAM disc that's in the camera, firewired to the Mac.

I do a File>Import>XDCAM (which is supposed to import directly into my project).
Much to my surprise, I actually sometimes get TWO copies of what I have selected....is one video and the other audio? (This hasn't hapened before BTW. Just today).
Or I get none at all.

And twice today, XDCAM Transfer software and/or FCP spat the dummy.

Thank God it's Thanksgiving......

Michael.

Nate Weaver November 22nd, 2006 02:10 AM

I had that problem for a while. It seems to have gone away with the newest versions of FCP and the Transfer software.

Update FCP to 5.1.2, and the Xfer to 1.1, and get back to us.

Gerson Becker December 1st, 2006 12:04 PM

Images and clips

Hi,
I just posted in my web page some pictures and edited clips. And some original clips in MXF format.
Sorry, but the page is in portuguese.

www.lumiere.com.br/hd

Gérson

Michael Knight December 6th, 2006 02:24 PM

Firmware Help please

Have followed instructions for installing firmware in F350 but there is a suggestion at the end of the process that if the camera was at Package Version 1,06 or lower then there is more to do...and ours was at 1.06 when we started the process.

Did a clip and paste so hope you more experienced folk can help out...the point being that I have no idea where to find the dip switch they refer to....

"11. If your camcorder was at Package version 1.06 or lower when you started this process you may have to upgrade one more software item, proceed to the next step.

12. You will need to power off the camcorder and remove the memory stick before opening the left side panel (one that contains the LCD display). The camcorder will need the “Service” menu enabled. This is done by setting section 1 of dip switch S501 of the DCP-37 card to the ON position. Then close the side panel. This information is also found in the service manual at the beginning of section 4.

13. Power On the Camcorder and Turn on the menu while holding the rotary encoder button depressed. You will see a new menu “Service” located at the bottom of this page. Select service menu and use the rotary encoder know to select menu S02 ROM VERSION 1. Insert your memory stick with the software upgrades. Wait till the camcorder has finished the memory stick read.

14. Press and hold the Rotary Encoder button depressed for about 10 seconds or until the memory stick software versions appear to the right of the camcorder software versions and an arrow appears in the left hand margin. Use the rotary encoder knob to move the arrow to be pointing at the software that may be different version than what is currently in your camcorder (FRESH). Once pointing at this software package depress the rotary encoder and then answer the question that will appear. To upgrade this software you will need to select YES. This will begin the software upgrade process. Do not remove power or do anything else until this process is completed, The display will display “DONE”. This update of software takes about 6 minutes. Turn the power off and then back on. Go back into menu S02 ROM VERSION 1 and verify the following software versions are as follows:
AT :1.50
Package :1.56
Fresh :1.05

15. Power OFF the camcorder and remove the memory stick. Now, set the Service dip switch back to the OFF position. Section 1 of S501 on the DCP-37 card."

Many thanks.

Micvhael Knight

Greg Boston December 6th, 2006 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Knight
You will need to power off the camcorder and remove the memory stick before opening the left side panel (one that contains the LCD display). The camcorder will need the “Service” menu enabled. This is done by setting section 1 of dip switch S501 of the DCP-37 card to the ON position. Then close the side panel.

Michael, you DO NOT have to remove the side cover. That was some unnecessary information that got posted earlier here at DVINFO.

I will personally walk you through this process if you wish. Click my name at left to send email. I will arrange to contact you that way.

Or, refer to http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....46&postcount=9 which is where I posted the correct procedure.

-gb-

Richard Lesser December 22nd, 2006 04:05 PM

DVCAM Mode and Audio

I know in DVCAM mode we're locked into using 4 Ch Audio. Can I save any Disc space(recording time) if I need only two Chs and set let's say Ch 3 & 4 input switches to "Back" or "Wireless" that has nothing imput?

Thanks
Richard

Bill Skinner December 26th, 2006 10:58 PM

HD Camcorder of the Year

http://www.coax.tv/

But we already knew this......

Richard Lesser December 27th, 2006 10:33 PM

Thanks for the post!

Rich

Uli Mors December 28th, 2006 08:32 AM

any XDCAM HD users from germany

Hi,

looking for contact to some users in germany - I am located near Dortmund, would be a great thing to meet some of you.

I am torn between "semipro" JVC GY-HD200 - I like the form factor and do a lot weddings (mostly SD yet) , so I´d see the hd200 as the "first step" into HD.

THOUGH I like the f330/350 much better but see the size disadvantage filming weddings in smaller rooms (wedding business is a bit different from U.S.).
On the other hand XDCAM HD seems to be the more professional media that could open some doors to other businesses - as I said - I am torn between the two - like to purchase both, but thats definetly not within my budget...

Any tips or arguments welcome!

Regards

uli

Jonathan Ames December 28th, 2006 10:01 AM

With all due respect to JVC, the cameras and their operators are in completely different leagues as you might imagine by the pricetag. We've used both, the JVC for an entire 6-months when they first came out to prove that network-quality shows can be produced with sub $10 cameras and have shown the JVC to be an extremely competent camera. It's characteriristics however are still that of a sub $10k camera. If you're just moving into HD, it's an excellent starting point to begin understandiing the marked differences between the two worlds; SD and HD. Your "eye" needs to be completely different when setting and shooting scenes looking for things that would pass the SD test but fail miserably in HD conditions. Further, the move from SD to HD typically iinvolves the move from 4:3 to 16:9 and composing to 16:9 is completely, wholly and absolutely different. Lenses also change dramatically when you move from the 1/3" into the 1/2" - 2/3" atmosphere and thus you can and must ask more of your shot composition. When we proved the 1/3" chip camera competent, it was on a specific broadcast, sporting event that was extremely fast-paced and virtually non-stop. Thus, a fast lens with deep, deep depth of field was all that was required. Shooting to a 300X150 arena with 7 cameras, autofocus, something you almost never see on a stage, was a must in combination with that deep DOF. With productions like features, pilots and series, more is expected and thus more is required of the equipment and the operator. DOF is shallow and thus the focus is constantly on the move, especially with alot of character movement. Finally, the selection of the Sony is as much for work-flow, scene/show management and cost savings as any other feature. We are shooting a pilot right now that, because of the in-camera capabilities like variable frame rate, effects like frame accumulation and pefhaps most significantly, proxy editing, disk system archiving and complete compatibility with FCP via direct camera-to-computer editing. In fact, we have certified a 40% cost savings in production costs. I've only known people who make their living shooting weddings having never done them myself but while the quality of production in these venues is important to the couple, everyone has said the same thing when considering a move to a more experienced camera; the demands of wedding photography don't aproach professional stage production and thus the charge per day breakout doesn't either so recovering the cost of a camera that approaches $50k when you have everything you will typically need simply doesn't pencil out. If, on the other hand, you're considering a serious move into production and more high-end work, the Sony is an unbelievably excellent choice. We've put it through it's paces end-to-end and have found zero to complain about. So, if it were me, I'd say if you're serious about you craft and are treating it as a professional decision to be a life-long pursuit of cinematography and not simply reality shooting and the occasional, personal "short film", there's simply no other camera out there that will teach you more or take you further than the 350. If on the other hand you're uncertain as to the viability of your love of making movies turning into a profession soon, then I'd say go for the lower priced JVC and start seeing what the HD world of composition is all about. All four leading sub-$10k cameras are very good. We selected the JVC for very specific reasons not the least of which was the need for interchangable lenses but the current small offering from Sony and the next generation due out either this month or next also yields great results and is a wonderful teacher.

Nate Weaver January 12th, 2007 05:55 PM

F350 Rental in Florida?

A friend of mine is thinking about shooting XDCAM HD in Tampa in a little bit.

Anybody know any rental houses in Florida that have a 350?

Hornady Setiawan January 21st, 2007 12:01 PM

Vegas 7 and Decklink / Multibridge Pro

Hello XDCAMers,

Does Vegas 7 + multibridge Pro can work together?
i read their knowledgebase, says decklink can work only with vegas 6.0c? also only with driver 4.8.1? while latest driver is version 5.9...and vegas is already ver 7...

Also if i use Vegas 7 without decklink, how can i monitor the timeline? Can it only be using a dual head DVI card? Can it preview monitor in HD res or only SD?

How to monitor using vegas in HD res, basically.

thanks,
hornady.

Uli Mors January 22nd, 2007 08:14 AM

30p vs 30p (?)

I remember a lot of "judder" discussions when the first HD100s hit the market. With HD200 (60p) those discussions became more and more quiet.

With pdw-f330 and f350 the main way to work with is 1080 60i (no judder on interlaced screens) and 25p PAL or 30p.

QUESTION: I never encountered "judder discussions" regarding XDCAM HD - though the judder must be the same due to the nature of 25 or 30 f progressive.

What are your experiences?

I do a lot of wedding video so I like the HD100 form factor and weight.

At the moment I am still distributing my work in SD.

So FOR NOW my question is:
HD200 + Wide Angle Lens (TH13x3.5) = ~15.000€

pdw-f330 + SD Wide Lens (Fujinon) is not very much more.

As long as I am stuck with SD , f330 seems to be the better option.

On the other hand Slomotion is one of THE creative techniques for wedding video - 60p seems to be better for that...

What about 1080i (interlaced) to be interpolated for slomo?

Its all about quality vs. weight vs. future use etc tec.

Anyway, I will be on tour (GERMANY) with Sony in February, I will show the workflow of XDCAM HD within Sony Vegas as their representer, therefore putting hands on an f330/350 also...

ULI

Herve Chava January 22nd, 2007 03:52 PM

XDCAM and XDCAM HD

hi , i have a question that hunt my nights .
is it possible to read a XDCAM disk written in SD mode with a F330 or F350
on a PDW-V1 XDCAM SD reader ?
thanks for your help .

Nate Weaver January 22nd, 2007 04:00 PM

There's two SD formats in XDCAM, DVCAM and IMX.

If the disc is SD DVCAM, then the 350/330 will play it. If it's IMX, it will not.

The PDW-V1 disc reader will read both formats (but not XDCAM HD!).

Rob Stiff January 22nd, 2007 11:03 PM

Working With Both 330s & 350s

If both the 330 & 350 have the same exact lens and are side by side
aimed at the same thing, and are both completely reset, they DO NOT
MATCH; colors, blacks etc are a little different.

With both models updated with the most recent firmware,
the menus and default setting are a little different making things
a bit difficult to match up. Anyone else having this issue?

Uli Mors January 23rd, 2007 11:56 PM

Lenses with Zoom / Focus Display

Hi,

I know that with some lenses you have a readout in the display for zoom / focus.
I think this is extremely helpful - I do some wedding filming as well and I often have to pan back to bride/groom (fast!). Using the readout is easier than focussing by eye again.

At the moment I am thinking to purchase a "budget" Wide Angle SD Lens , so I ask myself generally how I can see with all the fujinon and canon products if they transfer the zoom/focus data?

Any comments on that?

thanks

ULI

Uli Mors January 24th, 2007 07:56 AM

SONY tips for better shooting

In the link section I found a sony page with

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...tingTips.shtml

Reading some of these pdfs gives the impression that menus of XDCAM SD cams (530 etc.) go much further into detail than pdw-f330 / 350 can.

(example: "crispening" function and others)

I am wondering why they did not implent this into xdcam hd.

Any suggestions?

ULI

Ivan Snoeckx January 24th, 2007 03:32 PM

Yep! We already have those on the XDCAM forum.

Max Kaiser January 26th, 2007 04:13 PM

XDCAM and Final Cut Express

Hi there,
One of my clients wants to try and edit my xdcam hd files via Final Cut Express. He has v3.5. Any idea if it has the necessary codecs?

Also, if they do not, any idea what is the best codec to convert it to?

Thanks!
Max

Vincent Rozenberg January 27th, 2007 03:27 PM

From what I know FCE can only edit DV or HDV files. So you might want to capture via a XDCAM HD deck directly to HDV, for the best resolution/quality. If you capturing via the Firewire connection on cam, then DV is the only option.

Paulo Teixeira February 1st, 2007 02:00 PM

FujiFilm now makes XDCAM discs.

http://www.4rfv.co.uk/industrynews.asp?id=58942

Tim Allison February 8th, 2007 09:17 AM

Fianl Cut Pro work flow with XDCAM HD

I've been looking around for about half an hour, and haven't found what I'm looking for.

Can anyone point me to a description of the FCP work flow with XDCAM HD? I realize I can ingest through the HD-SDI connections and change codecs, but I'm looking for a description of using Sony transfer software, and editing native mpeg hd.

Andy Mees February 8th, 2007 09:28 AM

This is what you're looking for: http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...whitepaper.pdf

probably same file on Apple's FCP site here: http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...whitepaper.pdf