F350 First serious shoot. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old August 7th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #31
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
The new XDCAM HD's are not hugely sensitive. They aren't terrible, but it is one of the cameras weaknesses. With the losw shutter enabled you can get incredible low light performance out of it, but at the expense of framerate. It depends on how low light you are talking about?
You have to remember Simon that most folks on this forum would be stepping 'up' to 1/2 sensors from 1/3 and should get some performance gain. Compared to the 2/3 PDW-510, I can see why you are unimpressed with the PDW-F350.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #32
Trustee

Thats very true Greg. I'm not too critical of the 350's sensitivity. Its just something to take into consideration just in case some hope it will be totaly clean. As I mentioned in my Showreel mag reviews of the two cameras, the gain is not unsuable. In fact it is perfectly viable for use. Just not as clean as others. Don't forget that many who are buying the new XDCAM HD are actually coming back down from 2/3" cameras, so that is where my thinking comes from as you rightly mentioned.

But yeah, if you are moving up from 1/3" CCD's the XDCAM HD will be a revelation. Especially in terms of dynamic range. In Cinegamma 2 it even beats my 510.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #33
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
But yeah, if you are moving up from 1/3" CCD's the XDCAM HD will be a revelation. Especially in terms of dynamic range. In Cinegamma 2 it even beats my 510.
Agreed. It's all in your persepctive!
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #34
Major Player

Low Light Performance

I can see where going from an 1/3" HD chip to a 1/2" HD chip would be an improvement in sensitivity. However, going from SD 1/3" (which I'm used to) to HD 1/2" might be a drop in sensitivity. Because the CCDs are more dense with HD that leaves less light per pixel. Whether the size increase overcomes that I don't know. What I do know is that I don't like the current breed of HDV cameras for two main reasons, they require a lot more light and they don't have wide enough angles (for the ones with built in lenses).
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #35
Trustee

Not entirely. It depends on the CCD type too. FIT, IT etc. There are also methods such as on chip lenses, which places a micro lens above each each photo sensor on the CCD. Combined with a HAD sensor vertical smear is reduced drastically, and light sensitivity is increased well above that of CCDs without these methods. So while the idea that the CCD's are more crammed with elements is okay, it isn't the whole, ahem, picture. ;-)

So it isn't just a case of an upgrade to a 1/2" CCD, but it is also an upgrade to all these sorts of technology that makes the leap much greater. There is also all the other higher quality electronics that come with it.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts