330 First Steps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old September 26th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

330 First Steps

In a couple of weeks, I'll take ownership of a 330 (w/ a 2" viewfinder), just before a major shoot.

I may be shooting in 24p.

Three Questions:

1. Are there setup modifications I need to make before I shart shooting? Gamma? Knee? Anything else?

2. Final output for shoot, for now, will be SD DVD. Is 24 best for DVD? or should I shoot 30p?

3. Shall I edit in HD? Or digitize in DVCam?

Grasshopper awaits your wisdom.
Bill Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm not an owner of a XDCAM HD (yet). However as far as the DVD is concerned. You can create a 24p MPEG file, however your editing program has to edit the program as 24p and not 30i with 3:2 pulldown. If you have a pulldown in your final piece it will not compress efficiently. So if you're not sure how to handle the 24p in your editing program, you're better off going 30p.

I would also shoot in HD and edit in DVCAM since the editing solutions right now for XDCAM HD are iffy at best right now. You'd loose some color resolution going to 4:1:1. But it should be a real clean image. Just don't go down a second generation of DVCAM in your editing and you'll be fine.

My .02
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Weaver
Are there setup modifications I need to make before I shart shooting? Gamma? Knee? Anything else?
Depends what you're trying to achieve. The out-of-box setup is a little short on latitude. The Cine gammas do a lot of wok to keep highlights under control, if you're looking for more dynamic range.

Quote:
Final output for shoot, for now, will be SD DVD. Is 24 best for DVD? or should I shoot 30p?
Both will go to DVD without problem, but you need to know how to do it. How you do it depends on your NLE. In the end it should be an aesthetic choice, not technical one.

Quote:
Shall I edit in HD? Or digitize in DVCam?
Again, depends on your NLE. Final Cut handles almost all modes of the camera with ease, so shooting and posting HD with it is pretty much a breeze. I hear Vegas 7 is also up to speed.

I have finished a multi camera concert in 1080p24 in Final Cut, and it was a pleasure. Highly recommended.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts