Wet Gear for 350 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 20th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton Molyneux
Alister,
I just received a Porta-Brace cover for my 350. The base cover seams to be better designed than previous Porta_brace units I've owned. It does not block the vent holes in the handle. The rain cover is very large. The side pouch it is stored in is twice the size of the pouch on my Betacam or DRS500. There is a large 1 1/4 inch wide, soft rubber gasket and velcrow strap that fits tight around the lens hood to seal it off. A zipper and large flap to get it over the mic and then cover it up. Plenty of room for both hands to control the lens when on the shoulder or on a tripod. A large velcro opening on top to reach the carrying handle. There is enough loose material on top that I can still get a good grip on the handle even if it's sealed off.
If over heating were a concern you could leave the zipper open on the right hand side, and flip the flap that overs the mic over to cover the zipper opening. That flap, and the zipper, runs from about the middle of the mic to the rear of the handle near the heat vent. The camera would still be protected but you could have a large, big enough to put your hand into, or small, the flap can be folded inside it's self to make it smaller, rear facing covered vent to let any heat out right near the fan vent. Hope that makes sense. Of course now that I have it it’s not raining.

cheers

Morton
Excellent post Morton, with good information! Especially about the fan vent concerns. So is the cover you purchased the same Petrol CW-8 linked to in
Vincent's earlier post?

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Greg,

No it's different, PortaBrace call it a Shoulder Case

http://www.portabrace.com/product_detail_C.php?id=3262

will bring up the product page on PortsBraces's site or just search the site for PDW-F350 It's a new item, they don't even have a photo of it on the site but it's similar to there other products.

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #18
Regular Crew

You're right, the Porta Brace shoulder case for the 350 is much better than other PB cases I've used. It will take a bit of time to adjust all the velcro for a good fit, but once it's on correctly it's great. In other PB shoulder cases, the rain gear was so small, it would hardly cover the camera and viewfinder ... as posted above, the raingear for the 350 is HUGE. It fit's over a mounted Sennhieser with a big softy, a big wireless box and an Anton Bauer 140, a big Fujinon 16x4.6 and I can still fit my giant hands underneath. I'm not sure I'd use it hurricane conditions but for an occasional downpour or snow it's fine. Nothing beats Glad Bags.
Matthew Ernest Adams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts