DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Wet Gear for 350 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/77603-wet-gear-350-a.html)

Matthew Pugerude October 16th, 2006 05:00 PM

Wet Gear for 350

Hello all
I am doing white water trip with the 350 I need some recomendations to protect the camera on the trip please help.

Vincent Rozenberg October 16th, 2006 05:36 PM

Looking for stuff for my upcoming F350, I ran across this one; both a glove with raincover:

http://www.petrolbags.com/new_petrol...CW-8/PCW-8.htm

Maybe it will suit you?

Alister Chapman October 17th, 2006 10:35 AM

Looks like it may cover the fan exhaust holes around the base of the handle. These should not be covered or blocked otherwise you risk an overheated camera. Maybe in the arctic that would not be a problem. I use an all over cover made from waterproofed nylon fabric. At least this dosnt block the ventilation holes.

Vincent Rozenberg October 17th, 2006 04:48 PM

And where did you get yours?

Alister Chapman October 18th, 2006 02:52 AM

I purchased several meters of waterproof black nylon ripstop fabric and a sewing machine on ebay and made several covers for various cameras. I always make my covers 6 - 8 inches taller than the camera so that it also protects the tripod head. I looked at several commercial covers and came up with a design that works well for me. Remember a basic rain cover dosn't have to fit like a glove. A portabrace type cover that you leave on all the time is an altogether different beast and much harder to make.

Greg Boston October 18th, 2006 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman
I purchased several meters of waterproof black nylon ripstop fabric and a sewing machine on ebay and made several covers for various cameras. I always make my covers 6 - 8 inches taller than the camera so that it also protects the tripod head. I looked at several commercial covers and came up with a design that works well for me. Remember a basic rain cover dosn't have to fit like a glove. A portabrace type cover that you leave on all the time is an altogether different beast and much harder to make.

That Petrol cover Vincent linked to is a camera wrap type cover. If you look further down the page, you'll see the actual rain covers with extra room like you incorporated in your own design.

Good point about covering the fan vent holes. I'd want to check with Petrol on that before ordering one.

-gb-

Vincent Rozenberg October 18th, 2006 09:07 AM

That Petrol suit I linked to has a raincover included as well. In a pouch on the side. So always with the cam.

Alister Chapman October 18th, 2006 01:17 PM

That type of cover is good for everyday protection from bumps and scrapes and the built in rain cover is handy for showers or occasional use but if you were planning on doing a lot of filming in heavy rain or spray an all-over rain cover my be better as the built in covers don't always cover the lens very well and almost always never go low enough to help protect the tripod head.

Vincent Rozenberg October 18th, 2006 02:37 PM

Now that's a long sentence! ;-) Do you have a picture of your home made protector?

Matthew Pugerude October 18th, 2006 04:40 PM

Thanks Guys

Hey Thanks Guys I believe the company went with a Kata Rain Cover.

Alister Chapman October 19th, 2006 11:23 AM

Shouldn't type when I'm sleepy. Go into ramble mode.......
I would be interested to know how the various cover manufacturers deal with the fan vents around the base of the handle as they would be all to easy to block.

Vincent Rozenberg October 19th, 2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Pugerude
Hey Thanks Guys I believe the company went with a Kata Rain Cover.

But according to their website, Kata has not have one for a 350/330. Do the use the 530 version probably? If so, are the usable for both cameras regarding the reach-ability of the knobs etc?

Nate Weaver October 19th, 2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Rozenberg
But according to their website, Kata has not have one for a 350/330. Do the use the 530 version probably? If so, are the usable for both cameras regarding the reach-ability of the knobs etc?

It's the same version they sell for the DSR-450, whose body is even more similar to the 350 than the 530.

Regardless, in the online product guide there is an entry for the 350/330 which takes you to that product. But the actual product page for that case does not mention the 350.

Vincent Rozenberg October 19th, 2006 04:42 PM

Thanks Nate, for pointing that out. Still curious to Alister's home made solution..

Morton Molyneux October 19th, 2006 11:33 PM

Alister,
I just received a Porta-Brace cover for my 350. The base cover seams to be better designed than previous Porta_brace units I've owned. It does not block the vent holes in the handle. The rain cover is very large. The side pouch it is stored in is twice the size of the pouch on my Betacam or DRS500. There is a large 1 1/4 inch wide, soft rubber gasket and velcrow strap that fits tight around the lens hood to seal it off. A zipper and large flap to get it over the mic and then cover it up. Plenty of room for both hands to control the lens when on the shoulder or on a tripod. A large velcro opening on top to reach the carrying handle. There is enough loose material on top that I can still get a good grip on the handle even if it's sealed off.
If over heating were a concern you could leave the zipper open on the right hand side, and flip the flap that overs the mic over to cover the zipper opening. That flap, and the zipper, runs from about the middle of the mic to the rear of the handle near the heat vent. The camera would still be protected but you could have a large, big enough to put your hand into, or small, the flap can be folded inside it's self to make it smaller, rear facing covered vent to let any heat out right near the fan vent. Hope that makes sense. Of course now that I have it it’s not raining.

cheers

Morton