Wet Gear for 350 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wet Gear for 350

Hello all
I am doing white water trip with the 350 I need some recomendations to protect the camera on the trip please help.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Looking for stuff for my upcoming F350, I ran across this one; both a glove with raincover:

http://www.petrolbags.com/new_petrol...CW-8/PCW-8.htm

Maybe it will suit you?
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Looks like it may cover the fan exhaust holes around the base of the handle. These should not be covered or blocked otherwise you risk an overheated camera. Maybe in the arctic that would not be a problem. I use an all over cover made from waterproofed nylon fabric. At least this dosnt block the ventilation holes.
Old October 17th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #4
Major Player

And where did you get yours?
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I purchased several meters of waterproof black nylon ripstop fabric and a sewing machine on ebay and made several covers for various cameras. I always make my covers 6 - 8 inches taller than the camera so that it also protects the tripod head. I looked at several commercial covers and came up with a design that works well for me. Remember a basic rain cover dosn't have to fit like a glove. A portabrace type cover that you leave on all the time is an altogether different beast and much harder to make.
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman
I purchased several meters of waterproof black nylon ripstop fabric and a sewing machine on ebay and made several covers for various cameras. I always make my covers 6 - 8 inches taller than the camera so that it also protects the tripod head. I looked at several commercial covers and came up with a design that works well for me. Remember a basic rain cover dosn't have to fit like a glove. A portabrace type cover that you leave on all the time is an altogether different beast and much harder to make.
That Petrol cover Vincent linked to is a camera wrap type cover. If you look further down the page, you'll see the actual rain covers with extra room like you incorporated in your own design.

Good point about covering the fan vent holes. I'd want to check with Petrol on that before ordering one.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #7
Major Player

That Petrol suit I linked to has a raincover included as well. In a pouch on the side. So always with the cam.
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

That type of cover is good for everyday protection from bumps and scrapes and the built in rain cover is handy for showers or occasional use but if you were planning on doing a lot of filming in heavy rain or spray an all-over rain cover my be better as the built in covers don't always cover the lens very well and almost always never go low enough to help protect the tripod head.
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Major Player

Now that's a long sentence! ;-) Do you have a picture of your home made protector?
Old October 18th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys

Hey Thanks Guys I believe the company went with a Kata Rain Cover.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Shouldn't type when I'm sleepy. Go into ramble mode.......
I would be interested to know how the various cover manufacturers deal with the fan vents around the base of the handle as they would be all to easy to block.
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pugerude
Hey Thanks Guys I believe the company went with a Kata Rain Cover.
But according to their website, Kata has not have one for a 350/330. Do the use the 530 version probably? If so, are the usable for both cameras regarding the reach-ability of the knobs etc?
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Rozenberg
But according to their website, Kata has not have one for a 350/330. Do the use the 530 version probably? If so, are the usable for both cameras regarding the reach-ability of the knobs etc?
It's the same version they sell for the DSR-450, whose body is even more similar to the 350 than the 530.

Regardless, in the online product guide there is an entry for the 350/330 which takes you to that product. But the actual product page for that case does not mention the 350.
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Nate, for pointing that out. Still curious to Alister's home made solution..
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Alister,
I just received a Porta-Brace cover for my 350. The base cover seams to be better designed than previous Porta_brace units I've owned. It does not block the vent holes in the handle. The rain cover is very large. The side pouch it is stored in is twice the size of the pouch on my Betacam or DRS500. There is a large 1 1/4 inch wide, soft rubber gasket and velcrow strap that fits tight around the lens hood to seal it off. A zipper and large flap to get it over the mic and then cover it up. Plenty of room for both hands to control the lens when on the shoulder or on a tripod. A large velcro opening on top to reach the carrying handle. There is enough loose material on top that I can still get a good grip on the handle even if it's sealed off.
If over heating were a concern you could leave the zipper open on the right hand side, and flip the flap that overs the mic over to cover the zipper opening. That flap, and the zipper, runs from about the middle of the mic to the rear of the handle near the heat vent. The camera would still be protected but you could have a large, big enough to put your hand into, or small, the flap can be folded inside it's self to make it smaller, rear facing covered vent to let any heat out right near the fan vent. Hope that makes sense. Of course now that I have it it’s not raining.

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts