Lens Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 19th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens Problems

I'm shooting with a 350 with the Fujinon HD lens, and on some shots, especially those with a lot of intense backlight (sky through tree branches, over exposed windows. etc.), ther's lots of horrible glowing blue rimming going on, around branches, window panes, etc.

On wide shots, the lens is vignetting on one side.

Anybody else had problems with this? Or does this camera have a bogus lens?

Thanks

BW
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Which model Fujinon HD Lens?
What are your camera settings when you are getting the glowing blue rimming?
Rob Stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Bill

I have new 1/2 inch Fuji HS 18X5.5 BERM on a 350. We shot a couple over exposed back lit interviews last week and did not notice any problems.

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Has anyone ever given the lens a good clout getting in and out of cars or going through a doorway, a tripod fall or passing a benchtop.

Is there a non-approved or non-genuine glass filter or accessory on front of the lens.

In absence of the above, it still seems like it might be a bent mount to me. I doubt Sony or Fujinon would let something like this pass quality control without putting their leg in the way.

Take the lens off the camera and see if there is a bit of crud or metal shaving on the face of the mount itself or the matching face on the lens flange, not enough to stop the lens going on but enough to kick it axially off centre a few degrees.

If there is anything there it may likely be up against the base of a locating pin or tucked in the outer corner of one of the channels for the lugs of the mount and not all that obvious until you go looking.

The lens when offered up to the camera should sit with a distinct flat spot if it is rocked slightly sideways in the mount before locking down. If there is not this distinctly feelable flat spot but it rocks smoothly with no resistance at a centre point in the arc of movement, then there is likely something holding it away from the mount flange, a bruised corner of a lug or bent lug or crud. Anything other than crud causing a poor fit is a job for a technician.

If it is clean and undamaged try something else. - Lock the cam off on a tripod, zoom onto a target, centre it, then zoom back and see if it stays centred.

There may be a little bit of lateral travel of the centre but if it is really noticeable, then something funny may be going on which warrants the talents of a technician.

Lateral travel of the centre during the zoom however is a normal state of the Sony PD150 camcorder family but I would hope that on the higher end machinery, things are different.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'll fiddle with the lens mount. The Vignetting on the left side of wide shots is probably an indication of a seating problem. Luckily, this is a lender model until my own 330 comes in....
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM   #6
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Weaver
I'm shooting with a 350 with the Fujinon HD lens, and on some shots, especially those with a lot of intense backlight (sky through tree branches, over exposed windows. etc.), ther's lots of horrible glowing blue rimming going on, around branches, window panes, etc.

On wide shots, the lens is vignetting on one side.

Anybody else had problems with this? Or does this camera have a bogus lens?

Thanks

BW
Bill,

As you can see on the test shots I posted today under "chroma aberation" on my XDCAM test page ( www.telecamfilms.com/xdcam.html ), I am also experiencing this problem with Fujinon's XDCAM HD lenses. However, these artifacts are quite rare and only occur in areas of very high contrast. I have played with pretty much all pint settings on the camera (including lens files parameters) and did not find a way to correct this. Chroma aberation is not new to me, I noticed it on other Sony SD cameras (Beta SX, DigiBeta and XDCAM HD) but because of the higher picture resolution in HD, it is probably more obvious to our eyes. My colleague just purchased a Panasonice HVX-900 and we can see some of this on his camera too. I am hoping that these artifacts can be eliminated or reduced by using proper lens files. As of today, there are no lens files available for Canon and Fujinon XDCAM HD lenses yet.

As for your vignetting issue with the 5.5x18, it's got to be a defect with your lens. Have you resolved this issue?

Thierry.

Last edited by Thierry Humeau; November 4th, 2006 at 08:49 AM.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 11:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It's not the hood is it? Could the plastic hood be alittle distorted? I've seen this on SD lenses.
Old November 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau
Bill,

As you can see on the test shots I posted today under "chroma aberation" on my XDCAM test page ( www.telecamfilms.com/xdcam.html ), I am also experiencing this problem with Fujinon's XDCAM HD lenses.
I'm having the same issue, except that mine appears primarily on the right hand side of an object. But the main thing I have noticed is that the images were slightly soft no matter what I did. Good HD has that razor sharp edge detail. I've seen it from other peoples XDCAM HD footage. That's why I knew there was a problem. There's a Fujinon service center about 7 miles from me and I went down there Thursday. The tech put my lens on the collimator and confirmed my suspicions. He doesn't know how it went out so quickly. Based on yours and other folks experiences, I'm not sure it was ever 'in' to begin with.

Lens here is HSs18x5.5BERD. The D on my lens is for digital servo capability on the focus as well. It has a connector for remote operation by PC. The same lens with M on the end lacks the remote capability.

He did tell me that the XS series lenses are not spec'd to the same glass quality as the HS series. He told me you 'might' get an XS lens that's as good as the HS, but it's no guarantee.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts