Overview of XDCAM HD, workflow & F350 review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 29th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #1
Major Player

Overview of XDCAM HD, workflow & F350 review

Overview of XDCAM HD, advantages of the workflow and review of F350 all thrown into one. A very comprehensive feature. If you are new to XDCAM HD and want a 30 minute overview lesson in everything it has to offer, this is the only article you will ever need to read.

This 12,000 word feature includes:

Introduction to XDCAM HD
Differences between F330 and F350
History of XDCAM
What is XDCAM HD
Who is XDCAM HD aimed at
Who's currently using XDCAM HD
What is CineAlta
Advantages of an XDCAM HD workflow
Discovery HD channel approved
Shooting on XDCAM HD
Deleting clips and Fragmentation
Image quality
Audio
Comparison to other camcorders image quality
What is frame Accumulation
Scene files
Assign buttons
Clip lists
Editing with XDCAM HD
Stills photographs from your footage
None-destructive workflow
The future of XDCAM HD

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=144
Nigel Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It'll take a while to digest alll that Nigel.

FYI I believe one of your earlier reviews was significant in steering us toward the F350.

Believe me it was quite a quantum leap from a CP16:-)

Have just started editing our first footage (and am new to FCP as well)....so your expertise and willingness to share your knowledge is truly appreciated.
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #3
Wrangler

Needs clarification

Nigel,

This statement is a bit misleading.

Quote:
Both the F330 and F350 XDCAM HD camcorders can also be used as a record/playback deck so there is no need to purchase a separate deck. What I mean by this is that you can use the camcorders to play back footage via the HD/SDI output into a TV or monitor that has HD/SDI inputs, with HD television sets that only have component or HDMI inputs you need to purchase a device such as the Miranda HD-Bridge Dec+, this will convert the Sony XDCAM HD camcorders HD/SDI output to component or HDMI.
You need to clarify that ONLY the F350 can do HDSDI. The paragraph makes it sound like both of the 'camcorders' have this capability. I'm sure this was an oversite as you correctly pointed out the differences between the two models earlier in the review.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks a lot Greg. You are quite right and I really appreciate you pointing that out. I've since fixed my explanation of this. Sometimes it's hard to see the forrest for the trees when writing these long articles.
Nigel Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cooper
the PDW-510 and the PDW-530, which sold more than 10,000 units worldwide. Essencially these first SD XDCAM camcorders record in the DVCAM format at 25Mbps onto Sony’s PFD23 Professional Discs
One of the biggest pros of the SD XDCAM range is the very high quality 50Mb IMX recording that rivals Digibeta and is far superior to DVCAM, this is what attracted many of the Austrailian and continental broadcasters to pick up XDCAM as a primary format.

I think the pricing you have for the Sony disks is very high, I know they are more expensive but I have never paid more than £20 for a Sony disk.

Not sure I would class the fold out LCD as sharp or bright... It's always looked muddy and soft to me. There are far cheaper cameras with far, far better LCD's that the one Sony chose to put on the F350/F330.

Good and comprehensive feature though. Wish I had the time to write such a good guide. I'm going to have to refer my clients to it as no matter how Iexplain it they just don't seem to get the advantages, until they use it and then it's, wow, cool. how did you do that so quick etc.
Old October 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Alan, thanks for pointing out the IMX capability. I've now added this information to the article in the same vicinity. You could almost write a Ph.D on XDCAM, so the more people give me feedback on what I've missed the better.

Cheers
Nigel Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts