Compact B-Camera for XDCam HD? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 15th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #16
Inner Circle

At one point in time I had in my hands at the same moment, A Sony Z1, Canon XL-H1, JVC HD101, Sony HC1 plus my F350. These are the cameras I know and can comment on.

The XL-H1 is an excellent camera, but it has a quite different look to the F350. Also as a B camera it's a bit big and bulky, so I sold it.

The JVC HD101 is a good camera (IMHO) but not in the same league as the Canon H1, again has a very different looking picture to the F350, so I don't use it for shooting, just to ingest a clients 720P footage.

The HC1 is a really amazing camera. Can't belive how good the pictures are from such a small cam. However manual control is all but impossible and no XLR audio I/O, so I just use this for covert/discreet shooting or as a backup.

The Z1 is my prefered B camera. The pictures have a very similar look to the F350. It can shoot both 50i and 60i (important for me). If I really need progressive then it can do that too (just about). No it's not perfect, if it could do proper 24P, 25P and 30P then that would be even better, but at the moment for me the Z1 offers the right combination of picture quality, frame rates and features.

If you don't neeed the ability to switch between 25i and 30i then maybe one of the new Sony V1's would be better.
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Sony HC3 has a few things going for it

The Sony HC3 can be a GREAT B-cam if...

You need nightvision, or a crash cam (its only about $1000), or you need a REALLY tiny cam... its not that much bigger than a lipstick - almost, I mean you can hide it anywhere, get crazy shots from where no other camera can fit... ultimate helmet cam
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response Alister.... Right now, i'm between the Z1 and the V1.... I think both cameras would be very good but i'll have to wait to find out more on the V1. What interests me about the V1 is its small, light weight, long battery life, long lens, 24p/30p.....on the other hand the Z1 has great low light performance, a nice wide lens, great LCD and has been tested (its been around for awhile). I wonder how the image quality of the two cameras compare to each other? Do you think that the V1 will have higher resolution? I read a review and they said that they tested the camera (V1) on a test chart and it resolved 800 tv lines.... so, i wonder if it really outperforms the Z1? that would be interesting to know for sure.
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #19
Inner Circle

looking around various forums I don't think there is much to choose between the Z1 and V1 in terms of resolution and general picture quality. The Z1 is almost certainly more sensitive than the V1 but the V1 has a true progressive mode. I get 3 hours + from the batteries on my Z1 so have no issues there.

HC3 is a great compact performer, but no sensible audio input only that daft hot shoe thing. It's not that mauch smaller than the HC1 esp. if you take the lens hood off the HC1.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts