DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   some jpg samples from my replacement lens.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/79397-some-jpg-samples-my-replacement-lens.html)

Greg Boston November 11th, 2006 05:11 PM

some jpg samples from my replacement lens..

4 Attachment(s)
After seeing this stuff at full resolution, I believe I can put the lens issue to rest for now.

These were shot at 1080P 30 with 1/60 shutter. Cinegamma 4 with HISAT matrix. No color correction of any kind applied. I particularly like the colors in the street scene 2 pic.

The two flower pics were shot in midday full sun (very high key) so there is a bit of CA visible. The street and holly tree were shot late afternoon.

enjoy...

-gb-

Michael Knight November 11th, 2006 10:23 PM

Greg, those are some beautiful shots.

Hope you don't mind, but I set the penta flower shot as my desktop background - to give me something to aspire to:-)

I'm sure you've mentioned the lens elsewhere - memory suggests it's an 18x5.5 Fujinon...correct? But what exactly? The HSs18x5.5BRM?

If so...yahoo!!..,.coz that's what we have.

But nothing like those shots so far.

Perhaps that's because we're shooting 1080i 60?

Greg Boston November 11th, 2006 10:43 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Michael. My lens is just like yours except that it is the RD vs. RM which has a servo for remote focus as well as zoom.

You need to shoot in a progressive mode to get clean frame grabs. You also need to bump the shutter up to reduce motion blur. Although the Penta and Periwinkle were shot without shutter on so it's effectively 1/30. Several frames were not suitable for extraction due to the motion blur. The street and holly had 1/60 shutter and most any of the frames were clear enough to extract.

My main intent however was to show the beautiful (to me anyway) color rendition straight off the camera.

Also, you can get a full version of the Yaupon Holly clip at the link below.

http://media.dvinfo.net/Sony%20XDCAM...n%20Holly.movx

Standard rule applies...right click the link to download then remove the 'x' from the end of the filename. The file is purely unwrapped from MXF to MOV using the QT codec for 1080P 30.

-gb-

Robert Ducon November 21st, 2006 09:25 PM

Wow, Greg, beautiful beautiful shots. :)

George David November 28th, 2006 04:51 AM

Greg, absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the pics and the mov file. I'm in a midst of an XDCAM purchase decision right now.

Robert Batta November 28th, 2006 10:35 AM

my quicktime pro 7.0 (for windows) not played this mov file

what's wrong ?

robert

George David November 28th, 2006 10:54 AM

Robert, it doesn't play on my Windows machine either but it plays great on a slow mac. I think this file is a "pure" unwrapped FCP editable .mov file.

Robert Batta November 28th, 2006 11:06 AM

thanks George,

maybe if possible "simple" mov conversion ...
i would like see this video ;)

robert

George David November 28th, 2006 02:14 PM

If it's okay by Greg, I'll render this out to h.264. I played around with my HD100u again today and I woke up and realized that it's not really the camera but the person behind the camera. So I'm not buying an XDCam and get in debt unless someone sells it to me cheap :-)

Greg's photos are great because he is a great cinematographer and has an eye for shadows, light, composition, colors - the PDW-F350 being an icing on the cake.

That's my soap box for the day after having an almost psychotic, unbelieveable XDcam envy episode.

Greg Boston November 28th, 2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George David
If it's okay by Greg, I'll render this out to h.264. I played around with my HD100u again today and I woke up and realized that it's not really the camera but the person behind the camera. So I'm not buying an XDCam and get in debt unless someone sells it to me cheap :-)

Greg's photos are great because he is a great cinematographer and has an eye for shadows, light, composition, colors - the PDW-F350 being an icing on the cake.

That's my soap box for the day after having an almost psychotic, unbelieveable XDcam envy episode.

Thanks for the nice comments George but I just 'shoot 'em the way I see 'em'.

To answer Rob's question, yes the file is .MOV but it is encoded with the XDCAM HD codecs that were recently made available in the FCP upgrade. It would be nice if the stand-alone Quicktime player could include the codecs and maybe it will someday. I left the file in this format to keep it as pristine as possible.

George you are welcome to re-encode the file to H.264 but do keep the quality setting as high as possible.

-gb-