DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Some F350 footage in .wmv format (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/80880-some-f350-footage-wmv-format.html)

Carroll Lam December 3rd, 2006 02:04 PM

Some F350 footage in .wmv format

Here's a 3-min, 183 MB, Windows Media file of some recent f350 test footage I took.

This footage was collected with Cine4 and HiSat on.

Canon KH20X64KRS lens.

Edited with Vegas 7

http://www.clamcamvideo.com/Patio.wmv

Carroll Lam

Hayes Roberts December 3rd, 2006 10:22 PM

A pleasant patio, indeed; and a nice soundtrack, I might add.

Bill Skinner December 4th, 2006 08:54 PM

Horizontal distortion

Great job, nice footage. I was just wondering what is the cause of the distortion I was seeing. A wavy interlace like problem.

Carroll Lam December 4th, 2006 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Skinner
I was just wondering what is the cause of the distortion I was seeing. A wavy interlace like problem.

Hmmm. Your computer playback, maybe? I'm not seeing any but I welcome other's evaluation.

Carroll Lam

Matthew Ernest Adams December 5th, 2006 10:19 AM

I was seeing the interlacing too, but I think it was because my computer was unable to play the clip full speed and when it would slow, the interlacing was apparent (just as it should). Not sure why computer wouldn't play it very well? Maybe because I'm using Quicktime to play a wmv? Not enough RAM (1GB)?

Brian Jansen December 5th, 2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Skinner
Great job, nice footage. I was just wondering what is the cause of the distortion I was seeing. A wavy interlace like problem.

I'm seeing the wavy interlace like problem as well. Look at the womans arms
in the begining as she moves them back and forth. You can see it in the motion and if you pause the wmv at the right spot during this.. you can really see the odd distortion.
What frame rate was it shot at?
Did you make the wmv from a preSet in Vegas?
Would be good to know if the problem is Vegas or WME.

Carroll Lam December 5th, 2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jansen
I'm seeing the wavy interlace like problem as well. Look at the womans arms in the begining as she moves them back and forth. You can see it in the motion and if you pause the wmv at the right spot during this.. you can really see the odd distortion.

I believe I see what you are talking about. I was thinking you meant some kind of wavy horizontal distortion. When I pause the playback where there is something moving horizontally in the frame there is an interlace "halo" around the moving objects - like the woman's arm.

Quote:

What frame rate was it shot at?
60i

Quote:

Did you make the wmv from a preSet in Vegas?
Yes.

Quote:

Would be good to know if the problem is Vegas or WME.
Since everthing was done in Vegas you'd have to point at Vegas.

Carroll Lam

John McCully December 5th, 2006 12:39 PM

[Since everthing was done in Vegas you'd have to point at Vegas.]

Carroll Lam[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily perhaps. It would be great to see a few seconds of the original footage, say from 16 seconds to 20 seconds right off the camera. Plays perfectly smoothly on my core 2 duo laptop in both windows media player and VLC player. Yes, I see the interlacing happening as the woman swings her arms and it does appear a bit excessive however that could be the camera or the WMV compression. It could also be something happening in Vegas.

In any event nice stuff, lovely colors, great depth of field, cool zooms. And I like the music too.

Carroll Lam December 5th, 2006 03:19 PM

Here's the original source clip from the beginning of the edit:

http://www.clamcamvideo.com/C0025.MXF

The posted edit was rendered with the Windows Media Video 9 profile within Vegas. I tried rendering with another wmv profile within Vegas - Windows Media Video 9 Advanced Profile - with the same interlace "aura" results.

Here's another 40MB edit using Vegas in which the source was .m2t video from a Sony Z1U. This edit does not seem to exhibit the interlacing problem.

http://www.clamcamvideo.com/Humble-1080.wmv

I hope this is not a problem of MXF files with Vegas.

Carroll Lam

Carroll Lam December 5th, 2006 04:00 PM

I looked closely at an MXF version of the edit recorded back to the camcorder's disk and can find no evidence of the interlace aura.

Carroll Lam

Nate Weaver December 5th, 2006 04:11 PM

Am I missing something here? If the clips were 60i, and we're viewing on a computer screen, I'd expect to see the interlacing.

From what I can see, there's nothing wrong with any of it anywhere.

Greg Boston December 5th, 2006 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Am I missing something here? If the clips were 60i, and we're viewing on a computer screen, I'd expect to see the interlacing.

From what I can see, there's nothing wrong with any of it anywhere.

That's what I was thinking also. Unless Carroll de-interlaces the video before rendering, you should see interlace artifacts on a computer monitor.

I'm going to have a look at the original .MXF file.

-gb-

Nate Weaver December 5th, 2006 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
I'm going to have a look at the original .MXF file.

Not to pre-empt you, but the MXF is perfectly fine 60i video that plays out correctly via Decklink card to HD CRT. No interlace probs.

John McCully December 5th, 2006 06:33 PM

Carroll

How cool indeed. I placed the original and the wmv of the same footage on the Vegas 7 timeline and lined them up precisely comparing oranges to oranges. I also placed the Z1 footage up there but of course but that was oranges to apples even as it was dog to dog.

I should point out that I’m viewing this all on a Dell 24inch LCD 1920 x 1200 pixels.

1) I do not see an ‘aura’. Never did.
2) The wmv render exhibits noise, not a lot but it’s there, while the original footage is clean, super clean.
3) The interlacing lines appear to my eyes to be the same.
4) I suspect I’m seeing the interlacing lines because the footage off this camera is so incredibly sharp and beautiful.
5) The Z1 footage looks good, and while I know this is oranges and apples, it does look relatively soft. I’m not making a mountain out of that but how will I ever be happy with anything less than XDCAM again.

Hope that’s helpful.

Nate Weaver December 5th, 2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John McCully
4) I suspect I’m seeing the interlacing lines because the footage off this camera is so incredibly sharp and beautiful.

You're seeing interlacing lines because you're looking at interlaced frames on a progressive display. It happens with any 60i material.

Greg Boston December 5th, 2006 07:07 PM

Yeah I see the interlacing as well on my Apple with the original footage but it's super clean.

That Canon glass is doing a mighty fine job there, Carroll.

-gb-

John McCully December 5th, 2006 07:09 PM

I appreciate that Nate, not the first time I've seen interlace lines. I've never seen them quite so 'sharp' is what I should have said. And for what it's worth I'm not in the least bothered by that. I really like the footage.

Carroll Lam December 5th, 2006 07:10 PM

Here's an mov (200MB) file created in FCP from the mxf source clip. I note that it exhibits a similar, although not as pronounced, interlace "aura" around the woman's moving arm as the wmv file has.

As I stated above, the wmv file (Humble-1080.wmv) created from Z1U HDV video doesn't seem to show that artifact.

The original MXF file just doesn't show the artifact.

Weird.

Carroll Lam

Carroll Lam December 5th, 2006 07:12 PM

Oops. Forgot to include the link to the H.264 mov file:

http://www.clamcamvideo.com/Patio_test.mov

Carroll Lam