Dead pixels - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM   #16
Regular Crew

btw, does anyone know this service menu procedure?
this masking procedure was rather simple with my previous JVC and Panasonic cameras.
My problem is that I travel by plane with my camera and I get one or two hot pixels each time I fly accross the Atlantic. When shooting on location I'm miles away from any Sony service facility so being able to mask a hot pixel is quite essential to me. I know there are a few efficient masking software such as Digital heaven, but I'm a bit afraid this could somehow alter the overwhole picture quality.
Dean Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM   #17
Trustee

If you have problems with dead pixels, get Sony to replace the unit. I was told by one of the main Sony representatives that there is no reason at all why anyone should have to put up with a problem like this on a new unit and it should be taken care of by Silver Support etc. Black balancing is a bodge fix.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Black balancing 3 times in a row activates the pixel masking operation and will mask any dead pixels on a Sony Pro camcorder. There is a limit to the number of pixels that can be masked, not sure how many on the XDCAM's.
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #19
Major Player

How does it come that there are so many dead pixels with these XDCAM HD's? Is this because of a bad production?
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
How does it come that there are so many dead pixels with these XDCAM HD's? Is this because of a bad production?
I was wondering the same thing. Doesn't inspire confidence.
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
This is a statistical problem. Many pixels = many problems. Quite simple.

Matthias
Matthias Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I'm a little bit worried. When I got my new camera three weeks ago, I immediatly noticed a hot pixel visible at 0db.
After a call to the local Sony dealer I did 3 black balances and the pixel disappeared. However, by putting the camera on the frame accumulation mode I could see the hot pixel was still there.
Pushing the accumulation to 64 frames, several pixels (8 hot pixels) were clearly visible.
2 days ago, while shooting the total moon eclipse I noticed a new star in the night sky, the hot pixel was again visible at 0db.
I tried the accumulation mode and was horrified to see more than 20 hot pixels at 64 frames.
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Gill View Post
I'm a little bit worried. When I got my new camera three weeks ago, I immediatly noticed a hot pixel visible at 0db.
After a call to the local Sony dealer I did 3 black balances and the pixel disappeared. However, by putting the camera on the frame accumulation mode I could see the hot pixel was still there.
Pushing the accumulation to 64 frames, several pixels (8 hot pixels) were clearly visible.
2 days ago, while shooting the total moon eclipse I noticed a new star in the night sky, the hot pixel was again visible at 0db.
I tried the accumulation mode and was horrified to see more than 20 hot pixels at 64 frames.
You are really scaring me! :-(

Do other HD cameras like DVCPRO HD and HDCAM also have these problems?
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
Did you try black balancing while in frame accumulation mode? But yeah, if it came back at 0 db, you probably need to get the camera serviced or replaced.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Did you try black balancing while in frame accumulation mode? But yeah, if it came back at 0 db, you probably need to get the camera serviced or replaced.

-gb-
No, I didn't. Actually, today I brought the camera to the local Sony service center.
I let you know as soon as I get the camera back.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Actually, today I brought the camera to the local Sony service center.
I think that was a wise decision on your part, Dean. And yes, please let us know what Sony determines.

I know it's no fun having your new baby in sick bay. Mine had to go in for a shutter issue, but Sony took care of it promptly.

Best of luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #27
Trustee

I can't say 100% sure for dvcpro HD but I'm positive HDCAM has semilar issues, in fact I don't belive it's linked at all to the VTR device, I think that it's more linked to the Material used for ccu. I was once told CCU's are made by an organic material (I'm not really sure if that's true, or what it means even if it is) and that's why lit pixels pop up. I think though, 1920x1080x3 (chips) is something like 6 million pixels, for 20 to show up is awful but in the scheme of things it's an error rate of .00000322 to 1 which is I guess a pretty high tolerence.
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Got a dead pixel too!

I just purchased an XDCAM and used it for a few hours. Today I got a big monitor, and to my surprise, I found a white pixel in dark areas, not visible on the small screen monitor. Will they fix the camera? or replace it? I want this unit replaced, I don't want it back with more problems. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I had a hot pixel issue with my new F330 and Sony replaced the cam. However, when I switched the new cam on and tried it on a big full hd monitor, a red pixel was clearly visible.
I guess I'll have to live with it...
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #30
Tourist

HD CCD Hot pixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
The pixels are not normally "dead". What you are seeing is pixels that have a higher output for a given amount of light than perhaps they should. They show up more in frame accumulation mode because the the error is accentuated by time. In normal use you wouldn't see the difference. Almost all CCD blocks will have hot pixels. Leave a camera on for a few hours and turn up the gain and your almost sure to see some. Most manufacturers only regard a pixel to be a problem when it shows up at 0db gain at a standard frame rate/shutter speed.

It is thought that taking CCD's on aircraft flying on polar routes (transatlantic for examle) can lead to increased pixel failures due to the way the earths magnetic field concentrates solar radiation and other solar matter near the poles.

Most broadcast cameras have very good pixel masking circuits that can correct for hot pixels. This isn't a Sony specific problem and affects both video and stills cameras.
I am an Engineer in Australia with large medical company that has just released a true HD (1920x 1080i) 3 CCD camera for endoscopic surgery. I have tested several heads, and have seen obvious hot pixels in approx 30% of heads. Some are so obvious that they are visible even from cold (room temp 24c). I reported this to US manufacturer who sent me production files/images for these heads. These show that all hot pixels had been masked successfully during manufacture. The correction was carried out at 50C.
Either radiation (gamma at 35000ft, or high level Xray used in Customs), or some ageing effect must be producing these hot pixels. Does anyone know mor about this serious problem?
Bruce Hinton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts