DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   What Lens to buy for the F330? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/81418-what-lens-buy-f330.html)

Max Kaiser June 15th, 2006 11:25 AM

Which lens, how to buy?

I'm seriously looking into buying a 330 but I can't for the life of me figure out how. Basically, I'm going from prosumer world to pro and need some help making the jump. I'm used to buying cameras with the lens, and everything included for one (usually lower than $5k) price. So, I really want the functionality of the 330, the 1/2" chip, and all but I don't know squat about lenses (really) and I'd rather not pay an exhorbinant amount for one. Of course, I understand the "glass is it" but I don't even know who to start talking to about this stuff. Also, financing for a big $22k or so purchase like this. Do people normally work directly with Sony financing, or just get a loan from the bank? Basically, I'm looking for the 330 starter kit or something, with like two batteries, a serviceable lens, etc. Any ideas on where to go, or who to talk to?

Thanks very much!
Max

Greg Boston June 15th, 2006 11:39 AM

Max,

You would be well off to talk with one of our DVINFO sponsors. The F330 is available in a lens included configuration. The F350 requires a separate lens purchase.

Also, when you get into cameras such as this, batteries, chargers, ac adapters are not included. You'll need to budget about an extra grand for those items.

I'm not aware of anyone doing starter kits yet for this camera.

-gb-

David Mintzer June 15th, 2006 06:50 PM

If you want your 330 to rock, then you are probably looking at spending a bundle on an HD lens. Canon and Fuji have them and there has been a discussion of them on this board. My recommendation is to go down to a reseller
that actually has the camera on display and will allow you to fiddle around with both SD lenses and HD lenses. I like Abel Cine in New York City---but if you go to Sony's site, they should have a listing for a dealer in your area.

Where do you live?--sorry just noticed you are in Texas. By the way, on June 28th, Sony and Apple are doing a free seminar on the system in Dallas. You might consider attending that and asking some questions. I am sure they will have demo units and lenses.

http://seminars.apple.com/go/sonytou...6FCSSONY-DO7XZ

Greg Boston June 15th, 2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Mintzer
If you want your 330 to rock, then you are probably looking at spending a bundle on an HD lens. Canon and Fuji have them and there has been a discussion of them on this board. My recommendation is to go down to a reseller
that actually has the camera on display and will allow you to fiddle around with both SD lenses and HD lenses. I like Abel Cine in New York City---but if you go to Sony's site, they should have a listing for a dealer in your area.

Where do you live?--sorry just noticed you are in Texas. By the way, on June 28th, Sony and Apple are doing a free seminar on the system in Dallas. You might consider attending that and asking some questions. I am sure they will have demo units and lenses.

http://seminars.apple.com/go/sonytou...6FCSSONY-DO7XZ

Umm...Dave, I think you have me confused with Max. And yes, I will be attending the Apple/Sony seminar in Dallas. I already have the 350 with Fujinon HD glass on it.

-gb-

David Mintzer June 16th, 2006 07:27 AM

Geeze Greg--I'm losing it!

Max Kaiser June 20th, 2006 10:41 AM

Lens choices

Unfortunately, I have no way of seeing this camera before purchasing. I live in Bellingham, WA. And, as far as I know, I can't even see it in Seattle. Anyhow, at this point, I know I'm getting the camera, I'm just trying to figure out which lens to get. I can get the Fujinon HD lens for $7,800. But how much am I going to miss by not getting an HD lens. And, if I don't get the HD lens, where can I get a good used 2/3" piece of glass and which one is good?

Sorry about this, but I'm moving up from a Sony FX1 here and there are just a lot more tings to consider.

Is there like an analogy or something someone could give about HD vs. SD lenses?

Thanks!
Max

David Mintzer June 20th, 2006 10:52 AM

Max--if you are going to make this kind of investment, I would seriously consider getting on a plane and spending a day at the closest Sony dealer. You should spend some time with the camera and with an assortment of lenses. If I were buying this camera, I would go for a used 2/3" HD lens. (with the adapter for the camera). There is something about investing in a 1/2" HD lens that irks me. You will spend more but you will future proof your HD setup. You could also purchase a decent SD lens, and rent HD lenses as needed.

Keith Rollinson June 20th, 2006 11:32 AM

Hi Max,

I'm in Portland and expect to receive out F350 and Fujinon HSS18x55 1/2" HD lens tomorrow. We are purchasing via a dealer w/ an office in Redmond - contact me offlist if you need a name. This lens lists for close to $15K, and we elected to go w/ it as it was visibly better than the Canons and the other available Fujinon 1/2" lens. There are at least a couple of dealers in the Seattle area that can help you, as well as the NW rep for Fujinon.

Keith

Brian Bang Jensen June 20th, 2006 01:32 PM

When I bought my F330, I looked in my purse and counted my money.
What I came to was, if I was going to buy a Xdcam HD camera, then I should go for the cheapest lens, otherwise I was going to buy a cheaper camera.
The cheaper cameras also has a cheap lens, so where was that going to get me?
So I bought the package, camera with lens.

To my surprise, the picture quality was better, with this cheap lens, than I expected.
I have tried FX1 HD100 and H1, and non of them gave that picture quality!

Of cause if I have money like leaves on the trees, I will buy the best glass money can get, and maybe an F900 instead!!!!

Now I have my F330, I can shoot my productions in a, to me, splendid quality.. and I am happy..
Later when my income and my bank manager, says OK, then I will go for a better lens.

I don’t know with you guys, but to me, every purchase of equipment is a trade of between money and quality.
Not only do you have to buy the equipment but your business should also be able to pay for it.

My advice is.
Buy the best you can afford and don’t look back……….

Scott Cantrell June 20th, 2006 03:38 PM

Max,

Here is a list of HD lenses available for the XDCAM HD camcorders:

Canon KH10ex3.6 IRSE List Price $25,400.00
Canon KH21ex5.7 IRSE List Price $26,000.00
Canon KH20x6.4 KRS List Price $9,800.00
Canon KH19x6.7 KAS List Price $8,000.00
Fujinon HS16X4.6 BERM List Price $24,900.00
Fujinon XS13x3.3 BRM List Price $15,950.00
Fujinon XS17x5.5 BRM List Price $8,890.00
Fujinon HSs18x5.5BRM/BRD List Price $13,900.00

The lens that you choose depends on your application (i.e. ENG or Studio)

An end user just emailed me today pertaining to these lenses and wanted me to pass the information to anyone interested in the XDCAM HD:

"I have tried all four of the Fujinon lenses, and I own the 16X (which is a great, can-do-anything lens.) In 2/3" terms, it's about a 5.5 on the wide end, and at 16X with the extender, it gives me plenty of length. It retails for somewhere around $22K (welcome to the world of HD glass) but it is the Ferrari of 1/2" HD lenses. That 13X3.3 is a terrific wide lens too.
I also own an F900 with wide and normal HD zoom lenses (Fujinon) and I am equally impressed by their 1/2" lenses.
And be sure to pass the word that you do NOT want to use an SD piece of glass on and HD camera. Only 1/2 of the necessary light frequencies to SEE high definition images will ever make it to the HD imager. It won't work."

I have been finding out quite a bit of information from both Sony and Fujinon pertaining to the lenses and applications. Additionally, I have a PDF file from Fuji that lists their lenses and specifications. Please contact me at your convenience and I can email it to you.

Additionally, TapeWorks Texas Inc. will be hosting a Sony XDCAM HD product show in Houston TX. The date has not been finalized as the past couple of months have been extremely crazy and I'm trying to find a time that is beneficial to everyone interested in attending. If you think you can make it down to Houston, TX for the show, please contact me and I can see if we can acquire a date that fits in your schedule.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
866-827-3489
scott@tapeworkstexas.com

Max Kaiser June 20th, 2006 04:45 PM

Thanks for all the great posts - looks like it's gonna be an HD lens - now just which one?

Brian, what lens did you go with?

Max

Brian Bang Jensen June 20th, 2006 07:18 PM

I bought the camera with lens as a package.
the lens is VCL-719BXS KH19x6,7.
The package is called PDW F330K.
se my last reply in the "F330 test movie" tread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69851

Bill Pryor June 20th, 2006 08:43 PM

Max, from what Brian has said and posted about his 330 package he bought with the lens, it seems to me that in your situation, coming from the "prosumer" experience, that might be a good deal for you too. It would probably be the most economical way to get into the XDCAM HD world. And the nice thing about a professional camera is that you can always buy a better lens when the need and/or money appears. My understanding is that list price of around $16K includes the auto focus lens with the infinitely spinning focus ring.

Since you're already accustomed to shooting with that type of lens, it wouldn't be a big leap for you, and Brian has shown that the lens is quite useable. I always consider cost vs. benefit too. On the other side of the coin, if you're going into debt for a big chunk of money, you might as well go ahead and go a little deeper and get a better lens when you buy the package. But for me it all depends on how much money I can spend, or am willing to go into debt for, at the time I need to make a purchase.

Max Kaiser June 22nd, 2006 05:34 PM

Okay folks, I've taken your advice and I'm gonna get the HD lens. I'm gonna stick to the 1/2" even at the risk of nearby obsolescence (which judging by how quickly these cameras are moving won't really be a problem). Question now, is it the Fujinon or the Canon - either way, it is gonna have to be the bottom of line one.

Thanks again for everyone's help with this. I ordered at least the body today.

Max

Bill Pryor June 22nd, 2006 06:12 PM

The Canon VCL-719BXS is the cheaper lens that comes with the kit.