Stock Shots in HD ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 19th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stock Shots in HD ?

Any tips on using the HD facility of the F350 for taking/archiving/selling stock shots would be appreciated.

Have quite a bit of HD SD 10801 60 in the can from Mt Rainier to Mt St Helens to Mt Adams but would like to shoot a disc or two for the "real" HD market - but am not sure about settings etc...or exactly what or who (or even if) the HD market really is.

Michael Knight.
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

If I had the definitive answer to which format to shoot for HD stock footage then I would be a rich man! :)

I shoot a lot of material for stock sales, a real mix of formats at the moment and I am trying to work out what would be a good generic format. Certainly 1080 is the way to go, but P, I, 24, 30, 25 that's the big question. In terms of global compatibility it is my belief that 24P might be best. If your market is US Broadcasters then 60i might be better. Converting I to P is troublesome esp. if your changing the frame rate too, so that would possibly suggest that P would be better than I, but if your shooting anything with any fast action 30I looks much better than 30P.

I intend to shoot all my future Stock Shots at 24P as it's easy to get to 25P with a simple 4% speed up, 24P to 30P conversion is also pretty straight forward.

Most people I am currently dealing with on HD stock sales don't seem too bothered by the frame rate, just as long as it's well shot, well composed and the kind of image they are looking for.

Best advice is to do a deal with a Stock Footage library such as Getty Images. They take a sizable cut, BUT you don't need to spend any money on marketing and the big library's are where most sales are made.
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Alister.

It's early days yet, but I'm thinking that with this unique disc capture system on the F350 one could dedicate a disc or two to different formats for stock shots, maybe use the memory stick for various settings ( or become a real adept with the menus and settings changes), and shoot in different combinations - depending what the library might require?

It's a totally new avenue for me, so obviously I should do some research with the Getty people, but any day out filming is always better than a holiday:-) Specially with the tax write-offs....

Michael Knight.
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:51 AM   #4
Major Player

Hello,
Please e-mail if you are interested in selling stock footage.
We have some shooters sending in footage shot with XDcam.
Cheers

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts