XDCamHD and a laptop for news? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCamHD and a laptop for news?

I've been trying to chose a new camera for shooting sports news. I have been considering a dsr450 for the job since the format matches the broadcasters current feed system(DVcam,IMX,BetaSp...).

However!

It turns out that they would like it if I had a lap top to cut the stories with the reporter. With DVcam this would require a machine like such as the dsr 50 and a laptop.

Am I wrong in thinking that if I shot on XDcam, I could transfer the clips over to the computer in FAM mode, edit the piece and the export it back to the camera for playback or dubbing to Betacam? Would this work with standard XDcam as well?
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:44 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Newsom
Am I wrong in thinking that if I shot on XDcam, I could transfer the clips over to the computer in FAM mode, edit the piece and the export it back to the camera for playback or dubbing to Betacam? Would this work with standard XDcam as well?
Nope, you are exactly right. You can also do cuts only editing in camera. No VO capability though. The ability to export the finished sequence back to the camera varies by NLE. I know Vegas supports this on the PC side, and FCP does so on the Mac side.

Other NLE's offer varying levels of XDCAM support. Canopus Edius Broadcast I believe has full support based on comments by others here.

The camera is supplied with Proxy Browsing software that you can use on a PC laptop to do the same basic cuts only editing that you do in camera. It's just a much easier way to accomplish the same thing. It will allow you to create that same cliplist and write it back to the camera's disc. When you place the camera in 'subclip' mode, the transport plays back the cliplist only, as opposed to all the material on the disc. And BTW, the cliplist is non-destructive editing. All your original material remains intact.

Hope this helps,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As someone who has been doing location edits on laptops with both DVCAM and XDCAM all I can say is that XDCAM is the way to go. Yes DVCAM works, but to lay back to tape you may find you need a deck or a camcorder with a DV input. I didn't bother with a deck for location work instead using a PD100 and then Z1 as the deck, that way I also had a spare camera and could run everything of batteries.

XDCAM is so much more efficient. While shooting you can mark your good and bad takes, then when it comes to editing you can choose just to import the good takes. Dropped frames and sluggish transport controls are a thing of the past, file import is quick and easy and your footage comes in broken up into individual shots instead of one long captured clip. Export is equally simple and quick (as long as your files have a .MXF (capitals) extension and not lower case as most apps seem to produce).

I would currently recommend a Mac laptop. FCP has excellent XDCAM integration and even a basic Macbook (with 1Gb of ram) will handle SD XDCAM with ease. You get excellent battery life and a very compact unit. On the PC side you will need Vegas or Edius. I know that Avid Xpress will import SD XDCAM and Avid Media Composer will import XDCAM HD, but I am not sure what the current export situation is with Avid.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Avid Xpress Pro will only import and edit DVCam at 25mps and XDCam HD at 25mps, CBR. It does not support XDCam IMX.

Media Composer will support all XDCAM and XDCAM HD, but there are still issues with export and proxy support. May be fixed with next release.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts