PDW-F330 with YH12x4.8 IRS-A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 10th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #1
Major Player

PDW-F330 with YH12x4.8 IRS-A

Hi all,

Does anyone know if a Sony PDW-F330 with my Canon YH12x4.8 IRS-A lens (SD) coming from my current DSR-300P, in 35 mbps mode is going to produce better images then a Sony HVR-Z1E?

I can't afford the new HDgc wide angle from Canon (KH10x3.6 IRSE), but I guess that will be no problem because the local station I'm shooting for is only using the Z1.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I think so

I bet that it almost definitely will produce better pictures than the Z1.
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Wrangler

In my experience, yes, even a not-so-hot 1/2" lens will give you quite a higher res pic than something like a Z1. Plus the extended latitude of course (from the camera itself), and everything else XDCAM gives you.

The YH lens however won't be equally sharp in all conditions though, and it will likely exhibit green/magenta fringing at times.

But it will get you off the ground...
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hoi Ivan,

I've worked with the DSR300 plus a Canon YH12x4.8 IRS lens. In Antwerpen I bought a PDW-F330 plus a 2'' viewfinder. I kept the Canon lens due to money shortage. In the shop we were trying the combination and they told me that they didn't expect such nice results! The lens performs well under good light conditions. But under bad light and full iris you can see chromatic aberration. Also in low lit contrast situations it shows up. I notice it, but my costumers not... ...so far. They are still impressed by HD.
When money won't be an issue I would go for a HDgc wide angle lens, but I enjoy using my SD lens till then.

Last edited by Klaas van Urk; February 10th, 2007 at 12:35 PM.
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi all,

Thanks for the helpfull reply's.

Well, then I'm probably going to keep the lens, and sell the DSR-300P body and get an PDW-F330 with 2" EVF.
I actually didn't like to get a Z1E at all. Those little VJ things make me pretty nervous.

Klaas, where did you buy your camera and 2" EVF in Antwerp? My dealer is also located in Antwerp. Was Sony or the shop taking back the 1,5" viewfinder when you bought the optional 2" version?

Greetings,

Ivan
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ivan, I bought it at FormatC (Weggestraat, Merksem) http://www.formatc.be/
They didn't take back the 1.5" viewfinder. It's on sale now for 300-400 euro. I tried the 1.5" in the shop and decided immediately to take the 2". It's a 1800 euro piece but you can't focus with the 1.5". Overall price was 15200 euro excl VAT (330L plus the extra viewfinder). I kept my DSR300.
I don't need the HD-SDI output nor slow and quick motion (which can be done in post). I use FCP 5.1 on a MacQuad. I ingest via firewire with XDCAM transfer.

erratum: Overall price was 14720 euro excl VAT (330L plus the extra viewfinder). I bought disks too (making the total 15200).

Last edited by Klaas van Urk; February 10th, 2007 at 03:51 PM.
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Klaas,

Thanks for all the info.

I can't get it why Sony just isn't selling the body's alone without viewfinder, so that you have the choice between the two of them. If you buy an F330 with 2" EVF you are always stuck with that 1,5" version. And what are you going to do with it? Putting it on your cupboard? Stupid Sony!

Looks like we have the same dealer! :-)
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts