Which MATTEBOX to use with my F-350 and Canon lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 20th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which MATTEBOX to use with my F-350 and Canon lens

Hello,

Iīm thinking of buying a matte-box and was wondering whether anybody on this forum had a good tip which one would be good (maybe also in terms of price:-)) for my F-350 and Canon KH20 lens?

Thanks a lot,
Emanuel
Emanuel Altenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Emanuel, I have the Vocas 325. for about 1500 euro's (have to check that, but it's the ball park) including rods etc. See here a not so good pic because the Kata glove was the subject. When I'm @ home I can take a good pic of the Mattebox.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9...1007001kq3.jpg
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Cool, thanks a lot Vincent!
Old February 20th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #4
New Boot

There are different solutions from www.chrosziel.de at Munich, but their site is under construction. But they have a PDF catalouge and price list. You need the lightweight support 401-50 for Your camera. And then You have the choice between some filter compartements and matteboxes. The only specific part is the plastic ring to fit the lens.

A mattebox is the most important thing to improve the optical quality of a lens and a camera, even if there is no filter inserted. I don't know why such high prices are really necessary, but it is good to have it and You should have mounted it every time.

Matthias
Matthias Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, Matthias!
Also for the PDF-file. Thatīs really kind!

Best regards,
Emanuel
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #6
Major Player

I also vote for VOCAS.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

i'm buying Cavision's.. cheaper than others.
will reach here soon tho...
so cannot post pro/cons now...

Cavision guys support via email is quite good till now...
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Cavision is also OK, but they are not so sturdy build as Chroziel and VOCAS. But on the other hand, it's like you say: they are cheaper. It's like: you get what you pay for.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Vocas is ok but no where near the professional box that the Chroziel is. I've found that the rotating frame holders eventually start to bind on the Vocas making them almost impossible to rotate.

...then again the Vocas is 1/2 to 2/3 cheaper than the Chroziel.
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #10
Wrangler

I'd say the mattebox hierarchy goes something like this:

Arriflex
Chrosziel
Century/Vocas
Cavision
Formatt
Geardear
Indiesnap

The ones above the big gap in the list are suitable for day in/day out use, and likely won't leave you someday with broken pieces of plastic in your hands after you whap your lens into a doorjamb.

The ones below, in my opinion, are suitable more for folks not making a living with the gear, and won't be subject to constant assembly/disassembly every day.
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #11
Major Player

And Petroff...

Petroff is probably not as sturdy as the top two, so it wouldn't be good for heavy rental usage. Cost is close to Chroizel, but I think a bit lower with the support system, etc. I like the Chroizel follow focus better, but also more money.

Nate has the Chroizel and we compared my Petroff with it side by side, no doubt the Chroizel is more rugged, the Petroff filter trays are very flimsy compared to a Chroizel part for example, plastic versus metal. But for a caring owner or a responsible crew, the Petroff is plenty durable.

Petroff matte boxes are very versatile and effective -- the hood is large, and like the Chroizel (but unlike the Cavision and below) the flags are all shape-adustable. It is also easy to add or remove stages, and all stages rotate. It's also available in a nice range of camera specific or custom configurations.

Due to my very wide 3.3x13 Fujinon lens, I have to use the 5x5 Petroff which also holds 4x5.625. I'm very happy with it, although using my 5x5 Tru-pol I did have to remove some material from the top and bottom edges of the rectangular frame to get full rotation with no vignetting at full wide. And then it was only possible with the first (innermost) stage.

I would bet that most boxes 5x5 or smaller would vignette during rotation with this very wide lens.

The second stage is great for a 4x5.625 filters that you wouldn't rotate, such as Pro-mists, etc., so Chroizel knew what they were doing just having the inner stage rotate.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:24 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Anyone heard of "Indie Snap Mattebox"???

Has anyone heard of a company called "INDIE-SNAP"?
They produce a HD Mattebox set which I found coincidently on ebay. Check out the website if you want: http://www.indiesnap.com/hd.html. The thing looks really, really big but is it any good? Actually I donīt think so, because as far as I can see one is not even able to move neither the french flag nor the side-flags. Maybe it just looks "cool and big" and doesnīt do much of a job?! What do you think? :-)
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:38 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel Altenburger View Post
Maybe it just looks "cool and big" and doesnīt do much of a job?! What do you think? :-)
I think that mattebox is about the most horrible thing I've ever seen. It's brake-bent aluminum, has no filter trays, no way to shield filters from edge light (except tape). It's overly large and in most situations would provide zero lens shading.

I think it's a "wannabe" product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emannuel Altenburger
is not even able to move neither the french flag nor the side-flags
An aside, just for clarity, a french flag is a small flag on the end of a flexible arm that gets clamped to the camera (or usually rods). Any flag-like device attached to the upper edge of the mattebox housing that creates a solid surface is called an eyebrow.

It might seem pedantic, but between assistant cameramen on working sets, these things matter. Just FYI, not sniping :-)
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:07 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey Nate,

alright sorry for that:-)
But I wasnīt seriously intending to buy this thing, donīt worry:-) I just thought it would be interesting to show it to you as it looks really huge (a huge wannabe toy) and effectively does not much to improve your image quality really in my opinion. Was curious whether I was wrong on that ....:-)
Old March 31st, 2007, 11:56 AM   #15
Wrangler

What? No, no. No apologies necessary.

This is just one of those products where I feel the need to call it as I see it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts