DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Not accepted by broadcasters as HD?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/88615-not-accepted-broadcasters-hd.html)

David C Wright March 10th, 2007 09:42 AM

Not accepted by broadcasters as HD??

I am about to purchase an HD camera kit and would prefer the f350 but I am getting a lot of resistance from clients. Currently Discovery will accept the camera for HD shoots but not PBS or Nat Geo. Plus, although Discovery are saying yes, I am getting a no from production companies that work for Discovery as they still want to use a Sony f900. I am hoping to get the f350 reviewed again by these stations in the hopes that it will be accepted. Does any one have any ideas or suggestions for information that could be passed on to these broadcasters? Thanks

Simon Wyndham March 10th, 2007 11:04 AM

I believe Sony will have some interesting stuff to say at NAB regarding other broadcasters. Stay tuned!

Jonathan Ames March 10th, 2007 11:16 PM

Generaly speaking, distributing networks care about the quality of the content and the media upon which it is delivered, the segment amd block times and various other sindrie items. The issue is where does HD begin; 720 or 1080. Their own origination is also at issue with soome going "i" and some "p", some 720 and some 1080. Most D/Ns have submission standards available on the Internet with Discovery HD the highest and the rest somewhere below.

Greg Quinn March 11th, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames (Post 639619)
Most D/Ns have submission standards available on the Internet with Discovery HD the highest and the rest somewhere below.

I had email correspondence with the lady in charge of acquisitions at HDNet. I'd say they probably take the biscuit in terms of submission standards, since, according to her, HDNet requires acquisition at (not conversion to) 1080x1920, which means something like an F950 minimum, since the F900 compresses to 1080x1440.

Jeff Regan March 11th, 2007 12:40 AM

HD Net

I'm pretty sure "Art Mann Presents" isn't shot with a two-piece, 4:4:4 setup.
That would be overkill for interviewing a bunch of drunks in the street. For
that matter, an F900 would be overkill for that show.

What HD Net might say vs. what material they actually take is probably two
different things.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com

Nate Weaver March 11th, 2007 12:42 AM

I think HDNet should be worrying about the entertainment quality of their programming, rather than the technical quality. A quick perusal of their concert programming has an alarming number of re-runs from 2004.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Regan
What HD Net might say vs. what material they actually take is probably two different things.

My (admittedly little) experience with executives at MTV2 and others would agree.

Greg Quinn March 11th, 2007 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Regan (Post 639644)
I'm pretty sure "Art Mann Presents" isn't shot with a two-piece, 4:4:4 setup.

I was referring to "non in-house productions".

Quote:

... interviewing a bunch of drunks in the street.
That's a pretty accurate description of the show :)

The specs for the two mobile HDNet units include 2xF900's and 3xF950's each unit, so (amazingly) it could actually be shot with a couple of F950's, though my recollection of the show is that it's a one cam shoot.

http://www.hd.net/mobileunitspecs-hd1.html

Thierry Humeau March 11th, 2007 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Quinn (Post 639630)
I had email correspondence with the lady in charge of acquisitions at HDNet. I'd say they probably take the biscuit in terms of submission standards, since, according to her, HDNet requires acquisition at (not conversion to) 1080x1920, which means something like an F950 minimum, since the F900 compresses to 1080x1440.

Just a few facts:

- HDNet mainly uses XDCAM HD for field production. They have a few XDCAM HD cameras and decks moving around the country shared between their various freelance crews.

- Jim Lehrer NewsHour on PBS is already using XDCAM HD and will soon convert 100% to XDCAM HD

- Discovery Channel will have no problem accepting XDCAM format as long as it shot in IMX 50 for SD and 35mbps (HQ) for HD. They do have both SD and HD decks in house.

- on a few occasion, I have rented XDCAM decks to National Geographic TV in Washington DC to handle XDCAM material shot for different programs. National Geographic TV will just accept any field footage as long as the content is good.

- We just completed a 1-hour show for the Smithsonian Networks entirely shot in XDCAM HD. QC was handled by Showtime HD and we passed all thumbs up. read at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=88230

Thierry.

Greg Quinn March 11th, 2007 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau (Post 639670)
Just a few facts:

Thierry, I'm sure you aren't meaning to suggest that what I wrote about HDNet isn't factual, since I can assure you it is.

Nate Weaver March 11th, 2007 07:19 AM

Greg, again, I think the story is:

Quote:

What HD Net might say vs. what material they actually take is probably two different things.
Thierry is simple providing evidence to the latter.

Steve Connor March 11th, 2007 08:06 AM

I just worked with a Producer who'd just finished an HDNet shoot with Dan Rather and that used a Varicam!

Matthias Koehler March 11th, 2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Connor (Post 639732)
I just worked with a Producer who'd just finished an HDNet shoot with Dan Rather and that used a Varicam!

Would You be so kind as to explain, in which relationship Your information should be seen to the original question?

If somebody asked: "Will a Chrysler be accepted by my customer?" - would You answer him: "I know a person who used a taxi last week and this was a Chevrolet"?

Matthias

Greg Quinn March 11th, 2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver (Post 639720)
Thierry is simple providing evidence to the latter.

Point taken.

Steve Connor March 11th, 2007 11:38 AM

Matthias, as you seem to be confused about my post and were kind enough to bring it up I'll try and explain it's relevance in simple terms.

The discussion was heading in the direction that HDNet would only take 1920 x 1080 originated material. Whilst one poster confirmed this, another disagreed saying that HDNet used XDCam HD material as well.

I thought that as I knew for a fact that an HDNet programme using their key news anchor had been shot by a Varicam, this may add some weight to the fact that HDNet DOES accept material that is not originated in 1920 x 1080 and that the original posters information that they did not accept XDCamHD may not be entirely correct.

If you are still confused then PM me off list and I'll try and make it even simpler.

Matthias Koehler March 11th, 2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Connor (Post 639795)
I thought that as I knew for a fact that an HDNet programme using their key news anchor had been shot by a Varicam, this may add some weight to the fact that HDNet DOES accept material that is not originated in 1920 x 1080 and that the original posters information that they did not accept XDCamHD may not be entirely correct.

Thank You, now I have got the message. We should mention that nearly no camera produces natively 1920 by 1080 pixels. XDCAM HD and HDCAM Camcorders have 1440 by 1080 pixels, the Panasonic HDC-27, HPX-900 and HPX-2100 have only 1280 by 720 active pixels.

As far as I know, there are only two cameras with full 1920 by 1080 pixels: the Ikegami Editcam HD and the very expensive Arri D-20, if the signal is recorded with a conncted HDCAM SR field or studio recorder (two part unit like in former u-matic-times). The Arri is made for digital cinema, while the Ikegami Editcam HD is for general use.

But after some trial recordings, I don't see any advantages for a camera which is more expensive than a PDW-F350 for normal corporate videos and documentary.

Matthias