Camera Bags for XDCAM 350 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 12th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Bags for XDCAM 350

What camera bag do you use, and how do you like it? We've always used Porta-Brace for our Betacam gear. We're about to switch to XDCAM. Has anyone found anything they like better than Porta-Brace?
Tim Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Allison View Post
What camera bag do you use, and how do you like it? We've always used Porta-Brace for our Betacam gear. We're about to switch to XDCAM. Has anyone found anything they like better than Porta-Brace?
Normally Portabrace is the best, but I don't like shoulder cases at all. In former times I thought that I need it, but for my current camcorder it wasn't available, so I don't had a shoulder case for the last 12 years and today I didn't miss it: Within the years, I changed my opinion and came to the conclusion, that I like it to reach every part of the camera directly. And I want to see which camera is used by others. With shoulder case, You don't see anything and You often have problems to reach parts of the camera.

Of course a camera is better protected by a shoulder case and looks always new even after years of strong use, but I am of the opinion that a professional camcorder is allowed to look used.

Matthias
Matthias Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

you can have a look at this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86028
Dean Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #4
Major Player

I have the Kata MCC-2. But I'm not that happy with it. It's a bit too tight for the cam plus some accessories.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Wrangler

I have a Portabrace PC-BB.

With my long-ish lens (Canon wide), and a 90wh lithium on the back, it just fits. Take the battery off and it's easier to get in and out.

Sometimes I wish I had something that would work for quick transports in the vehicle with mattebox on, but every time I've seen a bag big enough for that, it's also big enough for a Varicam or 900 w/mattebox, which is WAY too big.
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
Sometimes I wish I had something that would work for quick transports in the vehicle with mattebox on,
A friend of me has a tripod adaptor screwed on a box in the back of his minivan. So *click* cam on the adaptor, of he goes to the assignment.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Wrangler

Yeah, I know about those. Those are for news guys who do it all day long. I need it only occasionally.
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Rozenberg View Post
A friend of me has a tripod adaptor screwed on a box in the back of his minivan. So *click* cam on the adaptor, of he goes to the assignment.
If the problem is just to transport the camera by car: I use an open case, fitted with foam. The case is always in the trunk and after inserting the camera, I push the case near to the rear seats, after that the tripod is inserted, then the sound case and so on. Very good and safe solution.

Matthias
Matthias Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

XD HD comes with a tripod plate ...

... and I used my old one for a car mount. A 3' x 1.5' plank of wood with two holes aligned with the plate screws, some proper sized bolts and you're set.
Matthew Ernest Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #10
Regular Crew

We started with a PortaBrace but sent it back...it was too big.

Switched to a KATA turtle case. Perfect.

It holds the F350, including the mains power pack and a battery very comfortably, and the double zip/flap system from front to back makes getting the camera in and out very easy.

We also switched out the factory stereo mike for a short shotgun, and it fits in there as well.

Can even break down the camera and reconfigure the case for aircraft carryon specs.
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #11
Major Player

HEY: Using a plate for transport is a way cool idea!

I never bought a bag - never found one that fitted my needs or just was too expensive.

Using a used tripod plate and mount it in the car seems to be an easy trick for fast run&gun shooting!

Thanks for that tip!

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:28 AM   #12
Regular Crew

this was a big problem for me with my D50/PVV3. i couldn't find a bag/case that fit the camera fully loaded. ie: mattebox, camera wireless, etc. - ready to come out shooting. i ended up going with the petrol PCC2. it was a bit too tight as delivered, but it was easy to remove some of the padding around the sides (it was one, long 'sheet' of foam) as its fitted with velcro along the bottom/inside of the case. it doesn't diminish the protection as its a rigid shell case.

the D50/PVV3 isn't a small camera by any means, but it now fits nicely in the petrol - ready to rock. i haven't tried a 330/350 in it yet but i think the body of that camera is significantly smaller than the D50/PVV3 combo, so when i make the move to that camera, i should be ok.

either way - consider the petrol PCC2.
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM   #13
New Boot

i use the kata HD cc3
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...KAHDCC3*&Q=&O=

a little big , but the xdcam was very secured and there is place for many little things every where in the bag .
Herve Chava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM   #14
Major Player

Kata is good bag...

I have that same Kata bag and am pretty happy with it. It provides great protection for the camera and has hardshell pouches on the front and back to hold batteries, filters and so forth. Millions of large and small pockets everywhere. What I like best is that it will hold the camera WITH my rather large Petroff 5x5 matte box installed and with a Dionic 90 batteries attached as well.

The only problem, and this could just be mine, is that the little plastic "feet" on the bottom are too close to the center line, expecially on one side, so the bag tends to lean to one side sometimes.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts